Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
New owner - 25' 1985 Sovereign

Hi,
My husband and I just purchased a 25' 1985 Sovereign. We plan to rip out the 25 year old carpeting and replace it with oak laminate, caulk all the windows and polish her exterior gently. We're determined to keep her as authentic as the day she rolled off the assembly line... well, as best as we can. Luckily she is immaculate inside and out! What are the pros and cons of maintaining an Airstream in its original condition? Janice
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Hi and welcome to the Forums.

You will find that there is always something to do on a 25 year old trailer. But, that being said, don't rip it apart right off. Go camping and see what works, what doesn't, what you like and don't.

New gaskets for the windows is a swell plan. Caulking as necessary involves some specialized products, you definitely don't want to be smearing silicone caulk on your new baby -- search the forums and you will get lots of ideas on what to use and how to use it.

The important thing is to enjoy the trailer between projects. A lot of folks go into "full rehab" mode and get discouraged because the fun quotient is low.

Get the running gear squared away (brakes,tires,bearings, balance) and go play!

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Question 1985 25 ft Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Hi,
My husband and I just purchased a 25' 1985 Sovereign. We plan to rip out the 25 year old carpeting and replace it with oak laminate, caulk all the windows and polish her exterior gently. We're determined to keep her as authentic as the day she rolled off the assembly line... well, as best as we can. Luckily she is immaculate inside and out! What are the pros and cons of maintaining an Airstream in its original condition? Janice
Hey Janice, I am going to look at a 1985, 25ft Sovereign tomorrow. It belongs to a friend of mine who wants to sell it. She tells me it's in great condition but has not been pulled in a while. They bought it and lived it in while building a house. Would you mind giving a ball park figure of what you think I should be looking at spending and any questions you think I might want to ask. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kelly
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Plant city , Florida
Hey my grandparents gave me and my brother the 1985 sovereign 25ft airstream they where going to sell it but the lazy days was only going to give them $3500.00 for it so they just kept it in the family. So I think about no more than $7000.00 if its in good condition. The big thing to look for on the out side is the clear cote and if there's white spots on it or spots that look choky then it's not in good enough condition. On the 1985 sovereign airstream to get the clear cote redone is about $4000.00 and u have to tow it to Ohio to get it done. The next thing is how fare are you going to tow it to your house because the bearings need to be repacked and the brakes need to be checked the because the trailer itself weighs 5,000 lb. The last two things I would check is tires make sure they don't have bubbles in them you can google what they look like and feel like. Now the very last thing is make sure that the hitch is very well lubed up as well as the sway bars. Good luck and have fun.
Matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign