Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
That's a great looking trailer but it doesn't sound like he really wants to sell it or he can tell how excited you are about his Airstream and thinks he can make a ton of money off of you. You need to research as much as possible about this trailer as well as similar models. That Soveriegn could be a 27,29 or 31foot model. I'd get the owner to show you how everything works and ask him to move it so you can see under neath. I did notice a couple of large wasps nests inside one of the vent pictures you posted.if that vents cracked I'd be concerned about some floor damage under that roof vent.
I would keep looking at as many trailers as possible and don't just look in the classifieds here on the forums and local craigslists keep your eyes open for trailers just sitting in people's front yards and even back yards. There's lost of Airstream's out there and lots people not using them but not really trying to sell them either. Don't be afraid to ask if its something they might want to sell. The last 3 trailers I've purchased were less than 5 miles from my house and I didn't think anyone in my area even new what an Airstream was.
You can always negotiate price with this guy especially after you show him your patient and not in a rush to buy. I just bought a super clean 78 23ft Safari off a guy who wanted $10k a year ago for $5500, it only took a year but I got it for what I wanted it for.
Sorry for my long ramble but take your time, read and research as much as possible.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
While a 25' Sovereign is a nice trailer, it's not worth $18k unless there is a lot of new stuff/upgrades/repairs.

As others have mentioned, that $$ gets you a late-90s Safari 25' that's been in current use. It's really nice to buy a trailer that's been frequently camped in - gives you a better chance of not finding surprises.

I get the feeling the wife is saying "sell it", and the hubby is pricing it high so that he "can't find a buyer."

Tom
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Yea, I didn't really let on how excited I was. Like I said, no big deal....the search & research continues : )
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is an 89 in Dunlap, TN on craigs's list. Says he wants $7500 for it. Search on the Chattanooga Craig's list.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybeth View Post
He is now saying $18,000 & not sure if they really want to part with it! : /

The problem the seller has and he doesn't know it yet that the trailer is to old to get financed at a reasonable rate. I don't know how much you plan to put up in cash but you would do better to put the money down on a new or newer trailer and carry a 15 year note, which also give you a tax write off. Just don't get upside down.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
While a 25' Sovereign is a nice trailer, it's not worth $18k unless there is a lot of new stuff/upgrades/repairs.

As others have mentioned, that $$ gets you a late-90s Safari 25' that's been in current use. It's really nice to buy a trailer that's been frequently camped in - gives you a better chance of not finding surprises.

I get the feeling the wife is saying "sell it", and the hubby is pricing it high so that he "can't find a buyer."

Tom
Beth

I agree with Tom. Whereas, she may be willing to sell it for 10k? he may want 18k because he may not really want to sell it. It may come down to who is driving this boat.

This is a great trailer IMHO and is one that you may want to go after. I have an 84 31'. They are great trailers- same windows (seals should be ok) and the same floorplan as the new classics, good size compromise for towing and using, etc.

The gray pipe is Quest. It should be fine; much preferred over copper. It is more of a problem in houses than trailers

I have replaced my AC unit and the fridge. The furnace and stove should last a long time. Remember, they don't get used that often. The stove and furnace on my 66 Tradewind are original. I am surprised the wh was replaced. Sometimes people just replace rather than trouble shoot and repair.

It probably would be a good idea to replace the axles and brakes. I would, especially if you plan on keeping it and using it for a long time. If you buy the axles with new brakes, the new brakes are not very costly. Buy new tires too if they are more than 5 years old. Also, replace the converter (battery charger), about $200, if it is original.

I would put a battery in it, make sure the tank(s) have propane and check out all the appliances, plumbing and lighting. Have somebody familiar with rv appliances give you a hand with this.

I would say it is easily worth 10k and maybe all the way to 13-14k. Just make an offer and see what happens. You have to find out what their selling price is- you know the negotiating game since you are a realtor.

I think that most all the advice you have been given thus far on this trailer has been spot on. If you can't buy this trailer, at least you have learned a lot. This is what you have to do to find the right trailer for you. You never know when the right trailer is the 20th or the first!

Good luck negotiating.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
A huge thank you to everyone for all your advice! After speaking to the owner yesterday, I get the feeling neither of them really wants to part with it. Plus the price if $18,000 is more than I would like to pay for my first AS. Ideally I would like to pay cash & not have to finance it. Or if someone would like to trade a 2007 Jaguar S-Class that's had one owner, has low miles, & in excellent condition, haha!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just throwing this out there: it might be worth a look at this 99 Safari in the Classifieds. Less money and newer. You can also see the pros and cons of various eras - different windows and interior wall treatments, as Dan mentioned above.

Tom
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is a good price for a 99 assuming it has no major issues. The photos are not that great.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote