RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The face of the air conditioner is identical to the one in our 2005 Bambi. Is it possible that this model didn't change in 20 years?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybeth View Post
Attachment 185022

The stove/oven looks like it is original. According to AS specs for that year. It still has the folding stainless still cover.

Something makes me feel like the cabinet doors were replaced at some point. I was a cabinet designer for over 6 yrs & these look 90's to me. Additionally the kitchen doors don't match the cabinet door of the cabinet between the beds & the fold out table & shelves in the living room area. Those would have been consistent throughout, right? What do y'all think?
Look to see if the hinges have been replaced. Not a worry, however. Evidence of vermin (insects, rodents) is where a strong flashlight is reason to get into the cabinetry.

The stove looks original, yes. And if lightly used I'd make it the single exception to replacement (given good pressure and no leaks). The ref/frzr is what will kick one in the tail for replacement cost . . but RV fires have a strong link to fires from this appliance. So the other non-optional, right-away is LP, CO and smoke alarms. Plus fire extinguishers. (See threads on thse topics once a TT is purchased).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I'd like to buy it if you don't.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, OP, the average distance we'll travel (according to a thread on this) is 1,200-miles. Cross-country is not unknown. Mine was only 500-miles away, but I drove just over 2,000 to get it home.

We're hoping for you that something so close will work out well.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The face of the air conditioner is identical to the one in our 2005 Bambi. Is it possible that this model didn't change in 20 years?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-117377796.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	185023

Phoenix-this is the same AC as yours?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
That is a Dometic Penguin low profile AC which would have been the Unit installed on the trailer new. They have not changed much. It should still work as well as your fridge and stove/range. You would want to have the gas connections and burners checked and parts are still available. The windows and solar rock guard look very good. The water heater looks original and with some cleaning and service will probably still work. Water lines need to be checked. I don't know when PEX became the standard for hot and cold water lines rather than copper. The fresh water tank and pump should be checked as well as the black and grey tanks. Its a center bath which is good no rear end sag or separation problems as you can have in the rear bath models. I would wait right there on the owner or stay close because this one won't last long. As some here have said if you don't buy they will.

If you really want an Airstream, a Vintage unit no less then don't let this one get away. I can't understand what it is doing sitting out in a grass filed. This one looks to have been in good operating condition when they parked it there. Have you looked for any manuals or paper work.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
That is a Dometic Penguin low profile AC which would have been the Unit installed on the trailer new. They have not changed much. It should still work as well as your fridge and stove/range. You would want to have the gas connections and burners checked and parts are still available. The windows and solar rock guard look very good. The water heater looks original and with some cleaning and service will probably still work. Water lines need to be checked. I don't know when PEX became the standard for hot and cold water lines rather than copper. The fresh water tank and pump should be checked as well as the black and grey tanks. Its a center bath which is good no rear end sag or separation problems as you can have in the rear bath models. I would wait right there on the owner or stay close because this one won't last long. As some here have said if you don't buy they will.

If you really want an Airstream, a Vintage unit no less then don't let this one get away. I can't understand what it is doing sitting out in a grass filed. This one looks to have been in good operating condition when they parked it there. Have you looked for any manuals or paper work.
It's sitting beside the guys house. I didn't see any manuals, etc. the plumbing was (I think) gray, not copper lines. The owner is out of town right now but I plan on having a sit-down with him soon to ask tons of questions!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok that is a rear bedroom model which is very similar to my 81. The beds lift up and there is a prop stick to hold it there. In the back corners lift the carpet and see if there is floor rot or new floor etc. Do this with both beds. Also not a bad thing to pull the draws out of the center table so you can see the floor there. Also open the bumper storage compartment and inspect that cross beam there and see if it has rust holes in it. Here are some photos of what could be hiding under the beds.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Next time I go back I will check under the beds. I did open up the bumper storage compartment & it was clean with no rust or signs of water. I plan to call him sometime today & ask several questions.
hollybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Overall, this looks like a great trailer. It's not going to be perfect at 30 years old, but I've seen plenty that are way worse. I don't know if you need $10k to bring it up to par, but no matter what, you will spend some money outside the purchase price.
For sure:
Axles: $1400-2000
Tires: $125-200 each
Batteries: $250
Converter: $150
Window seals: $250-500
Seam sealing: $100-200

Maybe and/or eventually:
Fridge: $1200
Furnace: $600
Water Heater: $500

Lots of other little knick-knack stuff that a 30yr old needs as upkeep. Could be way less, could be more, but just understand there will be items to replace.

So how much are they asking for it?

-Kevin
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hollybeth, see of you can get someone to put the trailer in operation. Then you will know what appliances are working and which aren't. Try to find someone with RV experience. Remember you are working around propane and it can be very dangerous.

BTW you will need a Tongue Jack between $100.00 and $200. Can be found on eBay cheap. Take a close up picture of the plate on the front of the Jack and post it so we can read it.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol View Post
So how much are they asking for it?

-Kevin
The owner's wife said to "make them an offer"...I think she's really tired of looking at it, lol!!
hollybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The Fridge does not look original so maybe that has been replaced. The axels maybe fine. My axels on my 81 seem to still be flexible. I would not go out and knee jerk replace them. It does look in pretty good shape and the floor replacement is much easier in a rear bedroom model compared to the rear bathroom model. You are also less likely to have structural problems because the tanks are over the axel where they should be not hanging off the back of the trailer. If you find some rot under the beds you can use that as a bargaining chip. I am sure you know something about that since you sell realestate.

Perry
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Vin# 1STABAJ21FJ502847

According to the chart posted in a different thread - http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...0&d=1258491386

I've gotten this far:

1ST-A/S TT
A-Center Bath/Rear Kitchen
B-Classic *4/4/01 (this doesn't make sense to me because you can see from the above pictures it clearly says Sovereign across the side)
A-Semi-monocoque, 96” narrow body, continuous curved, shiny aluminum
Shell, contoured window glass, frames and doors.
J-25’ to less than 26’ (does this mean it's 25' ?)
2-Double axle
1-(this is the check digit)
F-1985
J-Jackson Center, OH
502847-According to the above document, I'm supposed to use all these numbers to figure the 1 (check digit) in the vin I already know???
Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Just got off the phone with the owner. He has all the original paperwork including the original bill of sale & paperwork from when the refrigerator & water heater were replaced by the previous owner. They are the 3rd owner. It's not been actually towed a long distance in about 1 1/2 years but he does move it around the yard every 2-3 months. To his knowledge there are no leaks & all the seals are in good shape.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Most leaks are not apparent in an Airstream. Water runs between the inner and outer skin and ends up in the floor. You would not believe all the places these things can leak. It would be nice if they can hook up the water and power and then you can see what works and not.

If you can see bare not rotten floor in the rear under the beds you probably have a good one. If everything works I would say around $10k if there are problems like rotten floor I would start at $6k.

You do have a 25 ft trailer.

Perry
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
He is now saying $18,000 & not sure if they really want to part with it! : /
Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Holly, I agree this looks pretty good for an 80's unit... but price reality?

Go to the Classifieds here and take a gander.

$18K it's your money. I'd say "no thank you" for whatever that's worth.

I've been on this forum since 2004 and I still learn things and get good ideas virtually every day. READ and Learn. Believe in Karma, a good Airstream will find you.

Paula
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could get a 90's trailer for that. Wait till fall. If he really wants to sell it the price will go down then when no one wants a trailer. In spring it is a seller's market and late fall and winter is a more of a buyer's market. Spend the next 6 months looking at trailers just to get an education and experience. You can spend this time on finding a good one at a good price or you can pay too much and have a project that will consume your time for the next year. There was an AVION in GA that looked really nice for a little over $10k and it was and 88. It is on Ebay right now. That is the only trailer I would touch right now.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/rvs/3738665882.html

Perry
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
No biggie! Just glad I got to see the inside of it without driving a million miles. It's a good start to my search : )