RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
looking at this one..

hey folks
i'm new to the forums, as if you couldn't tell..lol.
this seems to be the place for air stream. been here reading for a couple of daze and found a wealth of info. really nice forum and folks here.
what i thinking about getting is a 84 28' sovereign. price is right looks pretty good on the inside. has hail damage on the back end and what looks like dents toward the top of the back where the hail damage is.
it was used as a deer camp trailer for some years. the last 3 or 4 years its been setting in the same place not at the deer lease. just waiting for some to grab it up. its a couple of hundred miles from where i have so all i have to go by is the pictures i was sent.
it belongs to my sister in laws relative, she claims they took pretty good care of it when they were using it. it has all the options one could get in 84 and a full bed. i'll see if i can get the pics to upload.
i would like to have a stream just don't want to have to totally rebuild it to use it. pretty handy with tools, was a mechanic for years now i'm a plumber.
any info will be appreciated.
thanx
t
txtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
this is all i have as far as info and pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2_7.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	161653   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream4.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	161654  

Name:	airstream3.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	161655   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream5.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	161656  

Name:	airstream2.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	161657  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoad View Post
price is right . . .

Buy it
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
lol.. ok i will.. that price is $3000..

t
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
do it
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know what the right price is, but it will need work. Any evidence of leaks inside? Seals may have dried out, tires will probably need replacing, hail damage will cost quite a bit to replace panels. I figure a messy interior may say a lack of maintenance. Everybody says they took good care of their trailer when they want to sell it. I see one A/C and another box or two on the roof at the rear—what are they? Fan covers? Satellite dish? Some non-RV type A/C?

As a mechanic/plumber, you have the skills and tools to fix things, and although RV's are a different animal, you have a leg up on a lot of people.

I'd go see it before I made a commitment. Maybe you can find an inspector to help you look at it—check out the right side of the Portal page (scroll down a bit) to see if there are inspectors where this trailer is located.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
gene
that's what i been thinking. it will take a lot of maintenance at the very least. from what i have read here those top seals and windows have already gone bad and have been leaking.
as for the 2 boxes on top i think they are the roof vents, one is over the bed the other is over the living\dining room.
the owners bought it new, they got every option AS offered that year. from what i read its kind of a rarity.
i probably going to go see before i buy. from reading here i believe i can spot any rotten floor areas. or leaking roof. the tires are said to be good. its 260 mi from where i live. as for the hail damage i'll probably just leave it for time being, or till i figure out what i want to do with it.

t
t
Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
At Texas speed limits, you could be there in 3 hours.

The tires may look good because this hasn't moved much in years. Tread may be new, but tires deteriorate over time, especially if they haven't been covered from the sun—looks like there are no covers from the photos. Look for the manufacture dates—will be on the sidewall and tells the year and week of manufacture. Generally it is recommended to replace tires after 5 years. If they have been in direct sun for the past 4 years, I'd count on new ones and towing it home should be done slowly, or bring new tires.

Gene
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
yea, its pretty much all secondary roads from here to there, no interstate. i have a 02 2500 hd for pulling. it does get on down the hi-way tho. it would be a long drive back on those tires, 50 to 60 would be the max top speed. i may not have to hook up the trailer brakes. i'm sure they need attention.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Good luck with it...it does look pretty good on the inside. Even the curtains are there! By the way, you ever pass through Seymour? We painted a mural right outside that town/small city about twenty years ago on the W. Falls side. I'm Bill
Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
hey just seen ur tag, ur in Colorado. i thinking of moving to pueblo in the near future.

t
Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
State law may (probably) require the brakes be hooked up and the brake lights work—they will only work is the umbilical is plugged into the truck.

Gene
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
funny looking hail damage. Airstream made good trailers in that era. Yeah, probably front and rear vents with covers. Check the frame for rust. probably will have a 9 pin connector on it. You will probably have to convert it to 7 pin to hook it up. At least that is what I did. Sounds like you need a trailer and a project. good price, I would think. Check to be sure of a good title. I have a friend who camps in a carefully refitten and detailed trailer that looks just like that and I think is the same year and it is a fine trailer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Good luck with it...it does look pretty good on the inside. Even the curtains are there! By the way, you ever pass through Seymour?
i have to go through there to see\get the trailer. its been a long time since i been there..hi neighbor..lol

t
Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
My wife is from Pueblo. Temps were 104˚ the other day there and are often in the 90's or higher. It is high desert, but so is Lubbock, home of Buddy Holly. Not much snow in Pueblo, except last winter. Since most of the steel mill closed, times have been tough, but the city is pretty stable economically.

Too hot for us there.

Gene
Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
Multiple awnings. Center bath. I say get it.
saburkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
State law may (probably) require the brakes be hooked up and the brake lights work—they will only work is the umbilical is plugged into the truck.

Gene
not sure about the law, i have had electric brakes that set for a long time to tear the works up the first you activate them.

t
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Have you got a weight distribution hitch?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by saburkha View Post
Multiple awnings. Center bath. I say get it.
ya i had a look a the option list for that year, it has a good bit of items other trailers don have. i really like the full bed option. really just how bad can it be inside, as far as damage. it was used regular until a 2 or 3 years ago. they bought a new motor home.

t
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
My wife is from Pueblo. Temps were 104˚ the other day there and are often in the 90's or higher. It is high desert, but so is Lubbock, home of Buddy Holly. Not much snow in Pueblo, except last winter. Since most of the steel mill closed, times have been tough, but the city is pretty stable economically.

Too hot for us there.

Gene
the kind of work i do i need to be around some population. there are several million people from the southern border up to denver. i would like to be up in the mountains, just not enough population for my needs..
t