RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Have you got a weight distribution hitch?
it comes with the trailer, it also has anti sway..

t
txtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
funny looking hail damage. Airstream made good trailers in that era. Yeah, probably front and rear vents with covers. Check the frame for rust. probably will have a 9 pin connector on it. You will probably have to convert it to 7 pin to hook it up. At least that is what I did. Sounds like you need a trailer and a project. good price, I would think. Check to be sure of a good title. I have a friend who camps in a carefully refitten and detailed trailer that looks just like that and I think is the same year and it is a fine trailer.
from what i read here those years were good units. i really just don't want to get into a full blown restoration. i can do a lot myself, at some point i will get over my head. don;t really want to do that. i'm what i call a short timer, anything long term i don't want to do. tires, brakes, sealing, aligning doors and windows. i just don't want to strip out the inside to replace the floor. i'm even pretty good at body work and carpentry.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
These are always a tough call... $3000 sounds cheap, but what kind of money has to go into it right away to get it comparable to the many nicer units for sale in the $10K range?

That doesn't look like hail damage to me... unless it hails sideways in Texas...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

That doesn't look like hail damage to me... unless it hails sideways in Texas...
Looks like it to me, and yes it does. I've seen a car with all the paint sandblasted off on one side from a sandstorm between Dalhart, TX and Clayton, NM. Sideways hail doesn't strain my imagination a bit.

My 1983 Excella doesn't have damage on the side, though. Supposedly it was towed through a hailstorm in Montana.

It's not pretty in front, but not a hint of a leak. Great on the inside.

I say the one you are looking at looks good as long as the floor is sound. It may not be as pretty as some, but you can still have a great time with it.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
we get hail from horizontal to full vertical in tx. it was probably under a tree when it got damaged.
for a couple of hundred in gas and a days worth of time i can go have look. prolly just do that. don't want to bite off more than i can chew..
i also need to have it road ready in a couple of months. i want to use it to work a job i have outta town..

t
Old 06-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
"
It's not pretty in front, but not a hint of a leak. Great on the inside.

I say the one you are looking at looks good as long as the floor is sound. It may not be as pretty as some, but you can still have a great time with it. "

that's really what i'm looking for. something dependable that i don't have to do a resto on. that's a big if there's nothing wrong with the floor i'll probably get it. trying to make arrangements to go see it in the near future. a good cleaning and some maintenance will go a long way..

t
Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Jump on it. Good price for something that is that close to ready. Figure tires and a day to check the brakes and grease the bearings. What you are getting is a 7 or 8 thousand trailer with the hail damage discounted. Not bad for a trailer to use for work. Not a good deal if you actually want the hail damage fixed, but in Texas why bother. It will hail again, right?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hail? looks more like an errant buckshot discharge to me. It does add character.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Jump on it. Good price for something that is that close to ready. Figure tires and a day to check the brakes and grease the bearings. What you are getting is a 7 or 8 thousand trailer with the hail damage discounted. Not bad for a trailer to use for work. Not a good deal if you actually want the hail damage fixed, but in Texas why bother. It will hail again, right?
ya, it will hail again..lol. what ur saying is my thoughts exactly. its a deal where if i get it the current owners would like for me to keep it. it has sentimental value to them, its where they spent there honeymoon. in time i might want to fix the hail damage. they want to sell it to someone/relative that will take care of it and enjoy it. my son and i can use it quite a bit. he can use it for vacations and i can use it for work/vacation. i know its not a queen by any stretch, more like a diamond in the rough. unless a person just wants a newer one i can see no reason i would get rid of it. you get them for life right..lol. tires, grease and brakes and it can be at my house in a few hours.
t
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Hail? looks more like an errant buckshot discharge to me. It does add character.
to me all AS have a character, weather old or new. it is hail damage thou.. my brother has seen it in person. he was going to get and fulltime in it. the job fell through at the last minute.

t
Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It may have been under a pole barn, tree or something that didn't cover all of it. Hail and wind together can do strange things. It may suit your needs. I think there may be some pressure to fix the damage and keep it if family is involved.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
i really don't know the current owners personally, i will keep it and take care of it as long as i see there is a need. i have had a couple if classic cars i wouldn't sell to just anybody, for the same reasons the relatives have.. sentimental value..it is truly a strange emotion.. they may not even sell it to me, for fear i may flip it for a quick profit and someone they wouldn't sell it to.
i've been looking at others for sale around that price range, just in case this one falls through. something affordable and near road ready is a rarity in itself.

t
ps you get them fires put out up there yet..such a tragedy..
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoad View Post
ps you get them fires put out up there yet..such a tragedy..
I'm a little too old to fight fires, but it is a big deal on local news here and in Colo. I can't keep track of all the fires, but the skies are hazy at times from smoke and blowing dust. Most of our land is forest, so we worry about a fire near our home, but nothing has happened there. Everything is as dry as you'll ever see, like Texas last year.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
smoke from n.m. drifts in over here at times. smelly, hazy and looks like there is something burning near. it not quite a dry as last year here but still pretty dry none the less.

t
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lubbock , Texas
well my deal fell through.. i won't be getting this AS. i'm still looking, i have expanded my parameters a bit to include avion and silver streak. as long as it has aluminum skin..lol

t