RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #21

1987 25' Sovereign
Rochester , New York
hey what a coincidence... we just got an '87 sovereign 25' too! ours is definitely not in 'immaculate' shape, but with some work it'll be good to go! ...maybe we can compare notes! good luck, my fellow newbie!
motorbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Punta Gorda , Florida
[QUOTE=beckybillrae;1303992]You can run the air with two Honda 2000i generators hooked together. Don't know about the Yamaha. I had a 1986 Sovereign & updated all the flooring, curtains & couch fabric. It was really nice inside & it was made to my taste. There really isn't a reason to keep it original IMHO. I used an Equalizer hitch with load distribution bars & a sway control bar. Never had a problem towing.[/QUOTE
]I towwed with that type of hitch for many years with no problems but switched to a Hensley after a really close call ahd have never looked back 15 years later. BTW on way to NM my dealer in FL said to try the Hensley and if I didn't like it he would take it back on my return. 10,ooo miles later I stopped and told him no way he was getting it back. You see trailers tipped over all the time on the roads but it will not happen towing with an Arrow
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark View Post
Welcome to the forum.

As the owner of a 25' Sovereign myself, I can say there is a lot to like about them. There are threads on these forums about both Pergo - style floors and bamboo, as well as sheet vinyl, cork.... We put in a laminate (Pergo type) floor and were once again noticing this weekend just how much stuff gets tracked into our coach. It used to just hide in the carpet.

A reupholster is not necessarily a dead loss. First, the foam in your '87 has lost much of its bounce. Replacement with good quality foam will make the couch a much more relaxing, inviting place. Secondly, even with the best of care, 17 year old fabric will start to come apart at the seams.

Mark
We have roll vinyl flooring and notice stuff tracked in more than our SOB trailer, which also had roll vinyl flooring. Maybe the Airstream is lower to the ground, less steps...less opportunity for stuff to fall off your shoes before you get in the trailer...or maybe the way the steps are made...the SOB steps were perforated, textured metal as opposed to the smooth aluminum steps with traction tape on them of the Airstream...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Mississippi
Cool Thrilled to have all the wisdom !

Hello and so glad another newbie plus all the more exoerience, Ihad a couple days of intimidation and buyers remorse, until LASTNIGHT in my neighborhood there was a huge music/ food hangout memorial day bash. Everyone had their ez ups , chairs and grills going out by the lake . We were about to go down , I was picking up the ez up canopy,my son said "mom let's take the airstream down there " so we did. We pulled up in the flat grassy area like we knew what we were doin (we didn't)! Pulled out our chairs, deployed our zip dee, lit a candle and I got a glass of wine. Then the crowds started coming.EVERYBODY WANTED TO SEE. And everyone was so jealous and said "now you've got the right idea". It was too funny and my buyers remorse is gone !

The refrigerator does not work-it was working when I looked at it, and when I went to pick it up after purchase it was not cold . , need new tires, and only 2 of the electrical plugs work. She (we have decided its a girl -) is going to get checked out tomorrow while we go to the beach for a week. I'm terrified of what they are going to find. I have seen a lot of little sugar ants in the unit. ???i hope that will not be bad news. The hitch and sway bars are what came with it. It is a weight distribution hitch. Not sure of the brand - will talk in depth about hitch with rv service place.

2honda 2000 to run the AC? That is going to be very expensive, that is discouraging news. Bc it is hot here and wear going to need that.

Also I do not have fantastic fans in celing vents. How much are those and how much difference does that make in coolness?

Batteries did not last long LASTNIGHT. We did have few lights on inside. Wish I could have run a fan but the outlets did not work on battery . Do outlets work on battery?

If you are plugged in to electric harness of vehicle can u run off tow vehicles battery? I'm thinking this battery issue is fonna be a biggie for me - I think I'm gonna be day tripping or boon docking more than in rv parks for sure.

In general, the rv parks tend to be full of permamant residents and look bit raunchy to me . More on that later bc I need to find some good ones to go to with my family.

Thank you to everyone and please keep the advice coming, I am like a sponge.

I have 3 boys, but no husband so this is a true adventure for me, but my boys are handy and helpful and I have had to become so down thru the years, but still I'm not a guy - and much of this is intimidating. My son is 17'and pulls it. He has pulled boat forever and is great. I, however am not and that is my next chore once we get settled, to gp practice backing up and pull it for some short trips.

Plz keep the suggestions and comments coming. I have already pulled down ugly curtains and got creative made some from pre made lowes- they look awesome ! More on that later- maybe I can figure out how toost some photos.
Staceytlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
a Honda 3000 will do the ac below 10,000 feet ... they lose power at altitude. I have two Honda 2000's and they are great, but a cheaper option is get one at the big box stores that will do the ac ..... It will be noisier, but as an old
Alabama and Texas guy, you have to have ac. Most have a 30 amp receptacle. ..... you may want to hit a couple of parks where you will not need a generator first. Just take the fixes one at a time, but good tires are important.

There are a lot of really nice State and National Parks. One close to you is called Poverty Point close to Delhi, La.

Welcome and good luck.

Cheerz
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do you really need AC at 10.000 feet?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #27

1987 25' Sovereign
Rochester , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceytlc View Post
Hello and so glad another newbie plus all the more exoerience, Ihad a couple days of intimidation and buyers remorse, until LASTNIGHT in my neighborhood there was a huge music/ food hangout memorial day bash. Everyone had their ez ups , chairs and grills going out by the lake . We were about to go down , I was picking up the ez up canopy,my son said "mom let's take the airstream down there " so we did. We pulled up in the flat grassy area like we knew what we were doin (we didn't)! Pulled out our chairs, deployed our zip dee, lit a candle and I got a glass of wine. Then the crowds started coming.EVERYBODY WANTED TO SEE. And everyone was so jealous and said "now you've got the right idea". It was too funny and my buyers remorse is gone !

The refrigerator does not work-it was working when I looked at it, and when I went to pick it up after purchase it was not cold . , need new tires, and only 2 of the electrical plugs work. She (we have decided its a girl -) is going to get checked out tomorrow while we go to the beach for a week. I'm terrified of what they are going to find. I have seen a lot of little sugar ants in the unit. ???i hope that will not be bad news. The hitch and sway bars are what came with it. It is a weight distribution hitch. Not sure of the brand - will talk in depth about hitch with rv service place.

2honda 2000 to run the AC? That is going to be very expensive, that is discouraging news. Bc it is hot here and wear going to need that.

Also I do not have fantastic fans in celing vents. How much are those and how much difference does that make in coolness?

Batteries did not last long LASTNIGHT. We did have few lights on inside. Wish I could have run a fan but the outlets did not work on battery . Do outlets work on battery?

If you are plugged in to electric harness of vehicle can u run off tow vehicles battery? I'm thinking this battery issue is fonna be a biggie for me - I think I'm gonna be day tripping or boon docking more than in rv parks for sure.

In general, the rv parks tend to be full of permamant residents and look bit raunchy to me . More on that later bc I need to find some good ones to go to with my family.

Thank you to everyone and please keep the advice coming, I am like a sponge.

I have 3 boys, but no husband so this is a true adventure for me, but my boys are handy and helpful and I have had to become so down thru the years, but still I'm not a guy - and much of this is intimidating. My son is 17'and pulls it. He has pulled boat forever and is great. I, however am not and that is my next chore once we get settled, to gp practice backing up and pull it for some short trips.

Plz keep the suggestions and comments coming. I have already pulled down ugly curtains and got creative made some from pre made lowes- they look awesome ! More on that later- maybe I can figure out how toost some photos.
I will look into what ceiling vents/fans we have in our 'new-to-us' 1987 25' sovereign. The previous owner installed 2 of them in the unit. You spin a knob and fan turns on while the hatch above opens. Our unit has no AC, and so far these have kept us relatively comfortable when we switch one to blow out and one in. They were also crucial when my father-in-law passed gas while taking a tour of the trailer

Ours also came with a solar panel installed on top and some bigger, better batteries... They sit outside on the hitch behind the propane tanks, and the old battery compartment has been sealed off (at least I think that's what it was...) We haven't had any trouble running out of power yet... but then again we haven't used the trailer much yet. When I get a chance I will grab the literature on that for you... We plan on doing a bit of boondocking ourselves, and the solar panel was a huge selling point.

Sounds like you found a few things that will need fixin'... Let me know if you are missing any of the trailer manuals. I believe we have all of them.. maybe even some duplicates (4 binders worth). Definitely willing to copy/scan anything for you if needed. Just let me know
motorbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sovereign- good name as they are truly king of the travel trailers...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign