Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Door latch failed, lucky we were outside.

Our old girl is full of surprises! This trip the door latch failed, locksmith had to drill it out. Glad we were outside when it failed! Inland RV seems to be tops in the field (even though I did need to customize the support jacks, good learning time...) Any opinions before I order "Part #: 22390"
captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Windsor , Vermont
Just noticed your post about the door lock. I'm in the same situation with my '86 Sovereign. How did the lock from Inland work?
vesque1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Worked well, I guess. Let's just say it was the best option I found. I did only minimal modification to door (cutting away bits of door to accommodate new lock) and even that killed me to do. Handle & lock has a deadbolt that could not be used unless I made new holes in door and frame, didn't do it not worried I still have deadbolt from A.S. working. I recommend you go slow, assemble lock including tight fitting aluminum panels it comes with to cover old lock hole left exposed repeatedly as you make progress making cuts at door to allow for new handle/lock. On my baby, I now need to give the door a slight slam to get it to latch (not too bad) but it works! One more thing, it arrives with not one bit of instruction or documentation. Inland does warn you you may want to hire a mechanic type person if this kind of stuff is out side your comfort zone... But if it was why would we own such wonderfully old trailers. Best of Luck, Quality metal snips, grinding tool and patience will help!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Kit is $70 at Out-of-Doors Mart
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
I don't see how a kit for $70 is the same handle I installed. It was not a factory match (they don't exist) but it could not have been produced for under a hundred bucks, even wholesale. Not saying you didn't find a door latch for $70, but I was able to find only one that would fit the '87 Sovereign. I have seen a replacement handle for the door latch for about that price, as a matter of fact I have one brand new for sale cheap if all you need is the pull handle. I was sure mine would fail soon due to cracks, but I had a total replacement due to internal breakage first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	178339  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
OMG it IS the same Lock!!! GREAT Find!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You got a photo of what went in the hole? It sorta looks like a Keeler lock.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
OMG it IS the same Lock!!! GREAT Find!
OMG.

No it isn't the same.

Knock offs, many times, look very close to being the same, but are not.

There are different markings on the locks.

We have more invested in our kit, than their selling price.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Oh my... Didn't mean to stir sh** up but I guess it just happens some times. I'll try and post some detailed photos of the new lock. I side with Andy on first blush. This was a quality latch/lock I installed but the photo I saw was a very good match to what I ordered... I don't have a dog in this fight, my latch is already replaced.

"Can't we all just get camping?"
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
This is what was left of what WAS on the AS. Locksmith did say a safe would have been easier to get open...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	178641  
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You lock smith was a hack. All that was needed was to push on the two little tabs that the handle rubs against. That is a lock from Keeler Brass company. New handles are available from VTS and probably Inland. I make some billet aluminum handles that won't break. I think the ones from VTS are castings and are better than the one that came on the trailer are still a casting.

Perry
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
No tabs were there, that is what broke, internal mech. failed in some way, it just happens after many years and lots of rain. Handel was broken in attempt to open latch by locksmith... after the fact. I have a new handle on my work bench as I was waiting for the old one to fail. Never did till I needed a pro and a fine locksmith at that. Don't let the postmortem photo fool you. I'll sell the handle at a discount if you are interested...
Old 04-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
astrocaver

1986 25' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
Update on door latch topic

My door latch failed on my 1986 25" Sovereign and we could not get in. The solution was to send my tall but thin grandson thru the storage compartment and out the bed on the drivers side. Had to jack up the bed to get thru. He could not get the door open from the inside either. Had him release the emergency exit on the back window so we could get in. Had to take apart the lock from the inside, not easy as the screen blocked some of it. Found that the dead bolt had failed and it had to be worked out to get the door open. Had to wire the door shut for the rest of the trip. Finding that there were no replacement parts I ended up making my own part. It has been fine since. I was not willing to patch my door to put in the Airstream solution and it was very expensive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0176 (002).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	283960  
astrocaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I had new tabs welded to mine. Pretty easy fix. I made my own latch handle a sold a few of those on here. VTS is selling the cast ones again.

Perry