Old 08-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
astrocaver

1986 25' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
Curved front window broken

'86 Sovereign 25'- Picked up unit from storage for a trip and found the curb side front window broken. Didn't notice at first as the stone shield covered it. Seems to have broken from heat/stress. Now I find out entire window and frame has to be ordered from Airstream. I counted 89 rivets!!!!!! Guess we will be staying home for a while. Any experiance with this situation?

astrocaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Curved front window broken

Lots of threads on the subject. I've found searching for a given subject easier outside of the forum using Google.

Additional notes from my recent replacement.

Remove the inner molding around the window, then remove as much of the goop slathered on the inside as possible.

The piece of metal between the large rectangular window and the wing window is molding with a dove tail joint that holds the two windows together at the edge. It would like some lubrication (I used White Lightning bicycle chain lubricant, its not an oil) before placing a block of wood on one end or the other and tapping it off (yes I said tap, mine moved rather freely with the White Lightning).

Drill out the old rivets, remove the old window, adjust the hole as necessary, redrill rivet holes as necessary, slather the outside wall and window with TremPro 635, put the window in the hole, put the molding back on, popping a rivet top and bottom work your way from the molding to the other side. Slather the inside with TremPro 635 and put the inside back as found (but the molding doesn't exactly match the thinner window).

Clean up any excess TremPro with mineral spirits as the container states.

nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Tape up the hole and go camping
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Yeah....Duck tape a piece of plexiglass over the hole and go camping !!!!!
BoandSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoandSusan View Post
Yeah....Duck tape a piece of plexiglass over the hole and go camping !!!!!
If you do a window repair (rather than a jury rig) use UV resistant Lexan (polycarbonate) instead of Plexiglass. It is easier to work with and won't yellow.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I concurr w others keep the rock guard down when moving, tape the window up and go camp. You can tape some plastic over it of it makes you more comfortable. Replace it when you get back.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
If you do a window repair (rather than a jury rig) use UV resistant Lexan (polycarbonate) instead of Plexiglass. It is easier to work with and won't yellow.
For a permanent fix for sure, use glass where possible and Lexan when not. But given a choice of, camp or stay home, I'd jury rig it!!!!😁

BoandSusan is offline   Reply With Quote