Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Mountaineer

1987 29' Sovereign
Lewisburg , West Virginia
'87 Sovereign RM2800 electric fridge does not cool

My 33 year old RM2800 Dometic fridge has no circuit board. The LP part of the unit is working fine.The electric 120v has quit.The trailer breaker is good and so is the outlet for the fridge.Using a schematic for the RM2800, I isolated the leads to the electric heating coil under the boiler.I patched 120v AC into the leads and presto, the coil heats up hot.I would rather not remove the fridge from the trailer but the schematic does not show a fuse. So the power is not making it through the switch or the thermostat or is disrupted somewhere in the mess of wires under the unit.Does anyone know of a hidden fuse or has had a similar problem with this fridge?
Thanks for your thoughts.
tinkerinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Richland , Washington
This manual may be helpful. It has troubleshooting tips and a very good explanation of how the absorption cycle works.

This part supplier also has a good list of parts, might shed some light.

My original manual shows parts for the RM 2800 on pages H-68 through H-72. It doesn't show a fuse; just a switch and thermostat. Per the drawing if the T-stat was bad it wouldn't work when you directly put 120 VAC to it, so I'm thinking it's the switch, meaning the selector 3 position switch (GAS-OFF-ELEC). Not making a good connection in ELEC.

You said you had 120 at the outlet? Have you checked for continuity in the power cord?
JohnBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Got a helper? If you do, put a voltmeter across the leads to the heating probe and have your helper slowly rotate the “gas-off-elec” knob. I get you will find that rating switch is intermittent. I had the same reefer in my 86 Sovereign and it had a very narrow “sweet spot”.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign