Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
nashville , Tennessee
Question 1st time buyer

there is a one (?) owner 1985 sovereign for sale. It is a 25' with a full size bed in rear and front couch. Saw it yesterday, and it is clean as a whistle with new air and refrig.
What would a fair price be and like certain cars are there better years than others in Airstream history. I know Beatrice Foods bought A/S in 1967 and Thor bought in the 70's. So does 1985 have the historical integrity of the early years.
Thanks
shutterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

London , London
Question

I'd be very interested to hear more about the differences in quality and workmanship over the years, too. I'm surprised I've not been able to find a heated debate about it so far in the forum archives. We're starting to look for our first Airstream to import to the UK. Personally, I'm thinking a 1966-8 Safari would be nice. I like those curved windows.
joss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #3

1985 25' Sovereign
Lincoln , Nebraska
We bought this same model in April of 2001 in Knoxville for $11,000. We drove from Lincoln, Nebraska to look at it. Drove home to buy a TV and returned to pick it up a few weeks later. Most would suggest I paid too much and I would probably agree but we wanted this particular model and size and was willing to pay what I had to. It was a one-owner in very good condition. I've been happy with it and don't regret the purchase. Hope this provides some help.
Gary
Justmeandshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool If you feel it's right...

Most of the "old timers" on here will agree that a trailer is worth what you are willing to pay for it. I think it's sort of like a used car-- you can check blue book value, check the consumers guides for problems with a variety of years, check online for price/condition websites, etc., but what it boils down to is if this is the car/house/boat/horse/refrigerator or whatever that you have always wanted, you buy it.

Our trailer is a 67 (one of the years with curved windows- the expensive curved windows). We didn't know anything about Airstreams when we bought it, we just knew we wanted an Airstream and couldn't afford a new one. We thought we were getting a good deal... $3300.00. After all, the previous owners said that everything worked and they took it to the lake all the time. Without going into detail, let's just say that we are much more knowledgeable now about what to look for in buying a used trailer. We have put approximately another $10,000 into it and it hasn't been on the road yet. Would we do it again, heck yes!! We love our silver whale, our escape pod, our retirement home....we love every little aluminum piece of him!

Buy what you want and enjoy. If you have a problem later, there's lots of people here to help you.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote