RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-17-2003, 08:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
1985 Sovereign

We are the new owners of an 85 Sovereign 25. I am going to use this forum as a log to post our attempts at reversing the decay. I hope that what happens to us may be of some help to others in the future.

Richard Menz
Boise, Idaho
rcmenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I have one of those too! Which floorplan does yours have?

You can see my floorplan, plus a few alterations in my photo section.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Unhappy 1985 Sovereign

We bough one a few months ago!

Am having a hell of a time cleaning it up. Can't catch a break in the rain here near Seattle, WA for more than a few hours lately!

Also trying to understand some of the appliances.
Like the RM736 Fridge. Manual says it's an Auto Energy Sensor. Sounds like a 3 way (Gas, 120V, 12V) but can't get it to come on w just 12v...

Had some mold under the curbside window that destroyed the fabric sideboard around the twin bed there.

Not sure if the leak is still there or not, the entire roof of the trailer is thinly covered w/ what I'm assuming is brushed on sealant.

Also have to replace the Fantastic Vent up front. Can't get it to work at all.

Other issues include trying to figure out some of the "shade-tree" electrical wiring the P.O. did. How to get the Catalitic heater to run. Need to get some tubing to reconnect the under-sink filter to the sink, And lastly which way the valve is supposed to turn for the water heater by pass.

Roy Zinser
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
85 Soveriegn

Hey Mark
I did not repond because I couldnt find the thred ! Unlike your unit ours has the twin beds in back. I am 6'2 and just barely fit. We couldn't buy an older unit with the rear bath because the beds wern't long enough !

Roy our unit had sat for a couple of years. Luckily in Boise we have a long time dealer that does a lot of work on airstreams. I paid them to go from one end to the other and fix the mechanical stuff. There was a ton of small things that it would have taken me a month to figure out. For example the steps needed adjustment. I can see myself screwing up a $720 set of steps and not even knowing it. Of course after reading the forums for the last year and a half I set up a large figure for repairs.

Our unit had not been used up, but it wasnt kept up. It did come with ALL the manuals ( pretty much unread by POs) so let me know if you are missing any and I would be glad to scan and e-mail.

I removed all the carpet off the walls (about wore out my drill driver) when I removed the curtains. PO was a smoker and the curtains hadn't ever been cleaned. Ours are a light weight nubby beige and they washed up without shrinking.

If your refrigerator runs on gas or shore power you may have a fault on the circut board or a broken wire. Or refrigerator was fine, but the furnace had a bad board and the oven has a broken valve.

Good luck with the leaks up there in rain country! Here we are in the desert and our shell is tight.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Richard,
Sounds like my trailer is in about the same state as yours was. Including the steps that need adjustment...

I'm chipping away at the things I can fix, and I'll have to live w/ the others until I can get to Kansas this summer.

We have the twin beds also. the P.O. cut a hole in the wardrobe curbside... I guess so he could stick his feet through the hole-?

Overall the trailer seems in good shape, and once I get things cleaned up & turned on it will be better.

I'd appreciate copies of the manuals. I've got the photo copy of the generic owners manual and service manual from airstream but they don't have much info on maint. of the appliancies. anything you can send would be great. Personal email is below.

Roy
zinser@ earthlink.net (take out the spaces...)
Old 04-14-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I also purchased one of these units last fall and put it directly in storage. It comes out of storage this week. Here in MN the camping season is not that long. I have the twin rear bed model. The PO was a couple who have had many airstreams and appear to take care of them. This is my first one. Its nice to a few others out there to share info I'll keep watching the thread
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

"Hey Mark
I did not repond because I couldnt find the thred"

Below each response there is some icons, one of which is "photos". You can go below to click on that icon to see my photo gallery, or go directly to http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...er=139&thumb=1

I'm not that tall, but my unit once had a narrow credenza across the back wall. The previous owner removed it for more legroom, and I did not replace it as it makes it possible to step back into that corner to make up the bed.

Mark
Old 04-15-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Mark, nice trailer. Is there any way to close off the rear bedroom from the rest of the trailer?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Richard, what about your rear twin model? Does it have a sliding door or accordian door to seperate the rear bed area from the rest of the trailer? I have been considering going from a 31' to a 25' sometime in the future and am looking at '80-'82 years but might even settle for up to an '85.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
Bed room Door

Our 85 has the accorian pleat door in genuine brown plastic. The track was so covered with dust I took my shop vac to it. It hasn't been used much and the plastic is real stiff. It slides into a doubled bulkhead next to the closet.

According to the Airstream web site 85 was the first year for the center bath 25'. The holding tanks and fresh water all run paralell to the axels in the center of the trailer. We all have the small pantry cabinet for canned goods, and the almost full length closet over the wheel well. The storage differences are in the bedroom. Twin bed units have four pull out plastic trays behind tambours under the beds, similar in size to the ones under the front couch. The nite stand has three large plastic drawers on bearings. Our unit has a pair of shirt length closets over the beds. I think they may be an option. We have overhead tambour door units over the beds as well. I don't know what the double bed unit has. It would be tight if you have to bring a lot of toys with you, but we think it should be fine for up to a couple of months at a time.

My wife has visions of extended stays in national parks, so 25' looked like the smallest big style trailer. I like the way the smaller units sell faster and for more money. I really like the towing weight. My second choice was the 29' unit because it only adds 400 pounds, but it would be too long for some of the places we plan to go.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I also have the accordian pleat door to the bedroom. It works just fine.

As you can see from the floorplan, there is a single door closet next to the pantry, and a double door closet behind that. Then there is a credenza/dresser over the outside storage running to the rear. It came with four plastic bins behind a tambour door which was rather prodigal with space, but I built a replacement with four larger drawers and a small storage compartment. There are an addtional three bins under the bed, plus a large outside storage area. Plus the six overhead lockers as well.

Storage is the big feature of this floorplan. I am sure most people look(ed) at the corner bed and immediately reject it, but once you have it the extra storage is so incredible that the downside of the corner bed seems a small price to pay.

Mark
Old 04-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Appliance Manuals?

Did the trailer come with separate manuals for each of the appliances?
I've got the photocopy version of the generic user manual & the service manual and am wondering if there are others out there...

Roy
Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
Manuals

We have:
a large silver 3 ring binder from Airstream
Airstream owners manual ( FYI Charlie must have a half dozen different ones for sale at American Way R.V.)
Instructins/Installation guides/Parts lists (what ever came with the product) for all sub-assemblies purchased by airstream.

This included refrigerator, stove/oven, water heater, furnace, AC unit, Zip Dee Awning, Axel & Brakes, couch, TV antena, stereo etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Manuals

Thanks,
Have been only able to find an installation manual for the Fridge. Will keep looking in the net for the others.

Roy