Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Tongue Weight

The 1989 Excella 29 specs indicate a dry weight of 5600# and a tongue weight of 700#. Additional 1200# allowed, which would make the gross 6800#.
I assume the 700# is dry tongue weight. If that's the case, and using the same weight percentage (12.5%), the gross tongue weight would calculate to 850# with trailer loaded to gross weight.

I believe my F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow hitch is a 1000/10000# rating.
Thus, if I use a Hensley hitch (at approx 200#), Would not my tongue weight be 1050# - thus overloading the hitch rating?

Worried now about purchasing the Airstream if my thinking is correct.

Help, please.

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Tongue Weight

Whoops, my Class IV hitch is 1210/12100# rated. Perhaps not the problem I was thinking?

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Good morning from Colorado. You are doing a good analysis of "towing specs" to determine the safety factor in towing a 29 foot Excella with the F-150 Ecoboost. You are correct to focus on the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer, and the Combined Weight Rating of the F-150.

When you couple up you will distribute some of that tongue weight off the tongue and forward to the truck and backwards to the trailer frame. You would need weight scale readings of each axle to determine where you will be "ready to go". The main idea is keeping the trailer and the truck level when coupled up and loaded up.

And maybe you can balance the stuff you carry in the Excella to reduce tongue weight some. Maybe water weight in the fresh water tank or waste water tanks will allow some weight a bit toward the rear of the trailer thus reducing tongue weight.

Curt and others make stronger receivers that can handle more tongue weight. The rating is somewhere on the receiver. I have read threads here where folks upgrade their receiver to a higher class to handle more tongue weight.

Some folks run out of cargo carrying capacity with their half ton trucks. Tongue weight is a significant load on the back of the truck, so adding generators, air compressors, motorcycles, tools, and two full grown St Barnard "puppies" plus passengers may exceed the combined weight rating of the truck.

There are lots of folks towing Airstreams with half ton trucks. I'm sure you will figure out a combination that will work for your rig. You are wise not to exceed any of the manufacturer's specs.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Good morning from Colorado. You are doing a good analysis of "towing specs" to determine the safety factor in towing a 29 foot Excella with the F-150 Ecoboost. You are correct to focus on the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer, and the Combined Weight Rating of the F-150.

When you couple up you will distribute some of that tongue weight off the tongue and forward to the truck and backwards to the trailer frame. You would need weight scale readings of each axle to determine where you will be "ready to go". The main idea is keeping the trailer and the truck level when coupled up and loaded up.

And maybe you can balance the stuff you carry in the Excella to reduce tongue weight some. Maybe water weight in the fresh water tank or waste water tanks will allow some weight a bit toward the rear of the trailer thus reducing tongue weight.

Curt and others make stronger receivers that can handle more tongue weight. The rating is somewhere on the receiver. I have read threads here where folks upgrade their receiver to a higher class to handle more tongue weight.

Some folks run out of cargo carrying capacity with their half ton trucks. Tongue weight is a significant load on the back of the truck, so adding generators, air compressors, motorcycles, tools, and two full grown St Barnard "puppies" plus passengers may exceed the combined weight rating of the truck.

There are lots of folks towing Airstreams with half ton trucks. I'm sure you will figure out a combination that will work for your rig. You are wise not to exceed any of the manufacturer's specs.

David

David

Thanks David.

Will be towing this from TX to MI if I buy. So, wanted to be certain I am well within all limitations. Some push those numbers, I do not.

We should be fine on the tow home (pretty empty). Then after hitting the scales, we shall see what might be necessary.

I may even hire out the tow to MI, as it appears it may be less expensive than my 7 day round trip would cost (fuel, motels, food, etc). Contractor I am speaking would be towing with a 2016 Ram 1 ton, Cummings dually, so he would have no problem.

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
Old 04-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I see a lot of big Ram trucks towing new campers to dealers, likely originating close to Elkhart, In. Indeed, the big Ram would have no problem towing a 89 Excella. If you can find one of these private "camper haulers" coming back from a trip, you might find the cost very attractive compared to doing a round trip yourself.

We have an 86 Classic Limited 34' Airstream. It has been in the family since new. We have always towed it with a one ton truck. Trailer is about 7800 pounds and tongue is about 800 or so. It's a bigger trailer, maybe too big.

These old trailers do offer lots of opportunity for fixing. I fixed a bad shore power connection, a leak in the plumbing that was on top of the fresh water tank, and a rotted out spot in the subfloor this winter. Every year there is another project. Don't be surprised when you get the Excella home to find quite a list of projects to tackle.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote