Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
Happy Camper

2022 25' International
Middletown , California
Question Anyone want to help me?

Hi there! Wondering if anyone near Santa Maria is willing to do a bit of trailer inspecting. Looking at a 1988 Excella in the morning (7/16, 8am) in Orcutt. Anyone available? We’re driving now to stay overnight to view it in the morning. 6 hour drive. I’ve messaged a couple people I believe to be near the area, but no responses yet. I ordered an inspection from LemonSquad, but I’m not sure they knew what they were doing. Too late now, as we already paid for that service and are on the way to view the trailer in the morning.
Please let me know. Thanx so much!

Proud Navy Parents,
Vinny & Maria
Fakeinhvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maybe doing another post with "Santa Maria CA inspection help needed" in the subject line would get more response.

Your title is a little bit vague. I only opened the post out of curiosity to see what you needed help with.

Good luck on your inspection on

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Wondering if this is a scam message....sending a request for help tomorrow? Has my bad juju sniffer going off for sure.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:54 AM   #4
Happy Camper

2022 25' International
Middletown , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Maybe doing another post with "Santa Maria CA inspection help needed" in the subject line would get more response.

Your title is a little bit vague. I only opened the post out of curiosity to see what you needed help with.

Good luck on your inspection on
Yeah, I probably should’ve said that in the subject line. Thought it would’ve been too long. Plus, bumpy CA 101 and doing this on my phone in the truck. Still learning this website.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #5
Happy Camper

2022 25' International
Middletown , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Wondering if this is a scam message....sending a request for help tomorrow? Has my bad juju sniffer going off for sure.
Sorry, not a scam. Was typing while we drove and 101 is horribly maintained. Learning this site too, as I’m brand new. Guess I’ll just read posts instead of writing them.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum.

On the right edge of the Portal page [grey tab at top left on the main desktop version of the site]:

https://www.airforums.com/

. . . there is a process for finding volunteer inspectors. You are in a good location for this working out well for you IMO.

This process may not be apparent on "The App" IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
. .
. . . my bad juju sniffer going off for sure.

Would be interesting to hear how reliable that sniffer has proven to be . . .

. . . especially regarding a new member's inquiry with a good explanation of purpose, difficulty learning the site, road conditions, and family members serving our country?

Thank you for educating us about what makes for your perception of "bad juju" . . .

Peter
Old 07-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeinhvl View Post
Sorry, not a scam. Was typing while we drove and 101 is horribly maintained. Learning this site too, as I’m brand new. Guess I’ll just read posts instead of writing them.
Quote:
. . .
Proud Navy Parents,
Vinny & Maria
Thank you for your family's service.

I hope that your inspection of the trailer this morning goes well . . . please let us know . . . have a good weekend.

Peter
Old 07-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying.... I have gotten snagged a couple of times so was probably being overly cautious with my statement.
Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to post....the group here can very direct and very helpful, which sometimes seems contradictory.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Eugene , Oregon
There’s an app?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

On the right edge of the Portal page [grey tab at top left on the main desktop version of the site]:

https://www.airforums.com/

. . . there is a process for finding volunteer inspectors. You are in a good location for this working out well for you IMO.

This process may not be apparent on "The App" IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
I struggle to use this site on my phone. As the op looking for hep did! I am going to look for the app!
LaRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
Happy Camper

2022 25' International
Middletown , California
Welp, just leaving the 1988 Excella. I wanted it, but hubbs can’t dedicate time right now to remediation what he feels are very important issues. The trailer’s 2nd owners had it for 17 years and it was somewhat neglected. The electrical for shore power and truck hookup was showing age; insulation had cracks and flaking off. Pigtail to truck was jury-rigged. Right after we talked about a price, I looked under the front pans directly opposite each side of the tongue and cross-brace (sorry, Idk the lingo yet) and there was green crap and I saw a hole. I punched my finger into both sides and came away with flaky, rusty material and the bottom of the trailer under those pieces was rusted. There was a good amount of rust where the tongue connected to the body. Rust in back also where the jack supports connect to the body. Flood lights didn’t work. I didn’t see or smell ANYthing musty or moldy inside. I looked and smelled inside of cabinets, beds, couch. I didn’t feel any give in the floors. The propane stove worked. Somebody had installed a new fridge that was quite cold. The man had recently acquired this from an older family friend and wasn’t trying to rip us off. He told us everything he knew, but wasn’t aware of the stuff underneath that I’d found. Tool box and equalizer hitch were quite rusted. Obviously the trailer and hitch had been left sitting, unloved for a while. We sadly decided to look into these types of problems before paying for them. Some of y’all probably have the time, money, and/or know-how to deal with this, but my 66 yo hubby still works 12 hour rotating day/night shifts and we need easier fixes. Idk whether we dodged a bullet or passed up a good thing. Thanx to those who responded positively with my learning this site. We hope to have an Airstream soon.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Rust is evel.

You did well staying away from Rust. It is not good on Steel main frame OR on Aluminum - everything else. Bad on people that do not disclose the bad things. Keep Looking.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRoze View Post
. . .
. . . I am going to look for the app . . .
. . .
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airstr...ms/id404713193
Old 07-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Idk whether we dodged a bullet or passed up a good thing.
. . .
Probably some of each . . . ya dun good under the circumstances and within your well-recognized limitations and parameters IMO.

"To every thing, there is a season."

Peter
Old 07-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for the feedback and sorry it didn't work out.

You'll know when you get the right one and the timing will be better for the work on it. Each one you look at you'll learn something new.

The forum here will get also get easier to work. Keep reading here there is a wealth of information and yes the home computer version and the phone app portal version are different but both pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

It's a pretty friendly and highly informative and helpful bunch.

Right now airstreams (camping devices of all kinds) seem to be pretty highly sought after and things in poor repair are selling higher than they should, hang in there.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Would be interesting to hear how reliable that sniffer has proven to be . . .

. . . especially regarding a new member's inquiry with a good explanation of purpose, difficulty learning the site, road conditions, and family members serving our country?

Thank you for educating us about what makes for your perception of "bad juju" . . .

Peter
Accuracy about 90%...you of all people should know the stuff the scams on this forum they write to reel people in. They clarified, I apologized. And life goes on....I have had 3 times been contacted to do an inspection short term on this coast only to ask more specific questions and find out they are bogus after asking the qualifying questions. Now to not hijack this thread please pm me with any other comments unless you need public audience.