Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1978- 1979 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Gaskets for Hatches

Another Airstream Store find at the International...the gaskets that were probably original were rusting away on my '78. I found the exact replacement items at the store. Part # is 365035. The cost was over $2 per foot (maybe closer to $3). It is a rubber gasket with metal insert that slips over the edge of the metal lip on the frame of the door.

I lubed it up with silicone spray and it went on as smooth as butter, but holds pretty tight. My old gasket was shot! The metal inserts were actually turning to powdered rust.

I've had to replace gaskets on a 1972 and this really beats going around the edges of the door with the glue on style gasket! So I'll pay the price and enjoy the ease of installation.

The fit is now very tight. I have to press on my door in order to latch it. The pictures show this on the rear hatch of my rear bath unit. The same gasket will work on the other outer hatch(es) and the refridgerator compartment door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gasket Cross Section_edited.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	13353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gasket 2.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	13354  

WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Congratulations on your find!

What a bizarre little gasket!

I'm sure you couldn't have found that anywhere else...the Airstream store, another reason to attend an International!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Wink Not going to any Intl.s anytime soon so....

Dallas thanks for the head's up.
Pictures are one of this forums greatest advantages. I have copied these to my parts file.
(what's that blue thing in the upper picture?)

Did you try to find the gaskets elsewhere in the past? i.e. does Inland Andy or Airstream Dreams not stock them?

Is the "Airstream Store" a part of the AS factory? If so I guess we could order the gasket from any AS dealer ?

Did you terminate the gasket install by cementing the ends together ? or is there some sort of insert piece that slips inside and ties them together? or is it not important?

Lastly Dallas, is the profile of the new gasket exactly the same as the old that you removed on the 72 also?

Thanks
Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Flicka-

I didn't look for the gasket anywhere else, so sorry can't help you there. Andy can get almost anything, I'd say give him a try. I didn't see it on his website, however. An Airstream dealer should be able to order it for you. Just give them the part # I cited.

The Airstream Store is the one which is set up in a tent at the International Rally every year. From what I can tell, they simply move everything they have for sale at the factory "Wally Byam Store" out to the rally! Sometimes they offer good deals on closeouts and such. They have practically anything you can think of to use on your Airstream.

I didn't feel it was important to terminate the gasket in anyway. The original was not done that way and it obviously lasted quite awhile! I started in the upper left hand side of the door frame and ended up in the same place and then cut the gasket to fit exactly. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the gasket contains a metal insert which snaps on and grips the exposed aluminum edge very tightly. I had to lube it up with silicone spray or it would not go on at all. That's how tight it is.

I compared the dimensions of the new gasket to what was already on there and it was identical!

This gasket is absolutely not the same as on my '72!!! I used the '72 for an example to contrast the different approach they used back then. On my '72 there is only ONE type of gasket for the entire coach. It's bi-level looking like this /__/ on edge where outer side is longer than the inner side. (Look at Andy's Pic here). You probably have this type of gasket around your windows if you have a 70's trailer. My '72 uses this on all the windows, the main door and the compartment doors. You must remove the old gasket, work to get the petrified glue off, then apply new 3M glue to the gasket and the door once again. Let that dry, then apply more new glue to the gasket and stick it on in the right place. The other difference is this gasket goes on the door frame and on my '72 to the glue on gasket is always applied to the door itself. Trust me, it's completely different. This one is only for the compartment doors and I'm uncertain which years, but if your doors look like the ones in the pictures above, then it's probably the right one! The main door has another type and the windows have yet a different type. I hope I haven't confused you!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
accessory door gasket material

Another good substitute gasket for the accessory doors on the excella is chevy or GMC pick-up truck door gaskets. They grip on the knife edge just like the original, look about the same and are cheap!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote