Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Smile What a bunch of Bozos!

OK ... I've settled down now ... it's been 24 hours since my nightmare occured at Dillon's in Mesa, AZ. I'll try to be brief.

I went in about a month ago to make an appointment for the 2004 hub recall and made an appointment for 9:00 AM ... 2/23/05. The service writer said it would take about 3 to 3.5 hours. I mentioned to him that I was a fulltimer and wintering here until April and felt that since they were so close ... now would be a good time to take of the recall.

I went in one week before the "appointment" ... and confirmed that everything was set for 9:00 AM ... 2/23/05. "No problem" he said.

So after being parked for almost 4 months … we go through the procedure of securing Baby Huey, hitching up and breaking camp. When I get to Dillon’s the SM gives me a hand parking in a tight spot ... we discuss how long the fridge will be off ... he says it shouldn't be a problem without shore power. Off we go for a day in Mesa.

I call Dillon's at 3:00 in the afternoon to check on the status of the repair ... the SM tells me that they haven't even started to project yet ... and that I could pick it up tomorrow.

I give the SM a healthy dose of blunt business over the phone ... we then make post haste down to Dillon's to pick up the trailer and get it home.

When we get there ... I witness two yo-yos trying to hitch up my Hensley to their truck. What a circus! If it wasn't my trailer I would have been on the ground laughing.

I then order the SM to cease all activity and proceed to hitch up to my truck ... I just want to get out of there.

Bottom line ... the Service Manager at Dillon's is an incompetent twit ... incapable of communicating with his clients ... and then offering one lame excuse after another when faced with the truth ...(I feel burned out ... gee, we're just sooo busy ... I was up till 3:30). I feel sorry for the locals who make a purchase from this outfit .. and then expect service.

I was diplomatic but firm with this idiot ... didn't call him names like I am doing now ... but not once, did he make any type of gesture to try to make things right ... and never bothered to ask if the work could be rescheduled. He just didn't care.

Looks like we'll be going down to Oasis in Tucson in April.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Off topic, but just saw your website...very nice.

As for the dealership, it's sad that there are more dingbats out there than useful, helpful, knowledgeable places.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Off topic some more, but I just dipped into your web site, drawn by your "TrailerGypsies" name. We call our AS Gypsy, thinking of her as our Gypsy Wagon, and our license plate for the truck reads 2 GYPZS--just how we feel when we're loaded up and heading down the road again. Loved your photos, especially the red sky of Arizona Sorry about your raw deal with the dealer. Better luck next time, we all hope!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hey Porky...

Call the owner. Better yet, call to make an appointment with him and see him in person. Let him know how dissatisfed you are and that you demand better. Let Airstream know you're dissastisfied with the service. Demand to be compensated for your trouble.

I have found that going to the top, and being polite but insistent can really have some interesting effects. I've done it several times, and have yet to be disappointed with the final outcome.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Pork

Its good to hear from you - we miss you on Tues chat night

Anyway, Dillions does not have a good reputation - I think you will be very pleased with Oasis - Jay will go out of his way to make sure you are taken care of.

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
If it were me..
I'd stuck around to atleast make sure they got started before leaving..
I can drink a lot of coffee while waiting...
Great see'in you back on again~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Angry

Porky,

If this was the service manager, he has relatives "working" all over the country!

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bozo2 (Small).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	10584  
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I have read several bad reports about Dillon's. There is NO EXCUSE for delayed or poor service. Thanks for the report Porky, keep us informed!!!!
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Oasis in Tucson

Porky,
If you did have to stay longer then expected at Oasis, I bet they'll let you overnight in their sales yard. Not sure if that includes power. Anyway we always choose to drive down to Tucson for our Airstream sales and service. Hope that works out for you.
Ken
Old 02-25-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
My experience with Oasis, though limited, has been very positive. They are very helpful alnd clearly try to please the customer.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry to hear of your ordeal at Dillon's. Being a local boy, I've heard nothing good about their service dept. Had I known you were getting work done there I would have steered you to Oasis. Personally I've not needed service work that only an AS service center could provide but if I did I'm glad Oasis is just a few hours away. I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
A while back somebody posted their experience with staying overnight at Oasis - can't remember if it was this list or another, anyway, it does not sound like a good idea - they were locked in the gate so they could not get out and I guess Oasis is not in the greatest neighborhood - they heard police cars and people be chased and all kinds of excitement - not a good camping experience. Sounds like the trailer is safe overnight though.

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This is the sort of thing Airstream.Inc will need to address if they want to return to their prior reputation for quality. A GMC or Ford ect dealer with a rep for bad service would get the word to fix it or else. Seems like QA is an issue in the whole organization / industry as it was in cars until the imports forced them to deliver. Unfortunately I don't see any competition to push them in the trailer market.

I encourage you to write "home" and question their dealer selection, training, and QA process.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #14
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback ...

Looks like we'll be talking to Oasis soon to get everything set up for an April visit. Also, we're having problems with our entry step ... and I recall someone here had their step fixed at Oasis.

The moron at Dillon's wanted to put a grinder to it!

I should note here that we don't mind getting a room for a couple of nights if that is what it takes to get the repair done. The issue is ... we would like to know that up front. If Sir Ignorant at Dillon's had just communicated with us ... I wouldn't still be calling him names.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote