Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Dan@LED4RV's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 742
Tear drop - what light goes where

I have figured out a few simple rules to determine what light goes where. First of all you will always need gaskets under your teardrop marker lights if the light is mounted directly on the skin.



The only time you do NOT need a gasket is when there is a metal casting like the picture below. There are both curved and straight castings.



Now the only other thing to determine is, do you need a curved base or a straight base.

Most all the lights mounted on the lower part the the unit will be straight base. In the picture below, even though the lower light is on a curved panel that part of the panel is straight enough to need a straight base light. The lights at the top need a curved base light.



I did this post because so many folks get their lights only to find they have the wrong lights or they need gaskets.


One other note, before Airstream started using LEDs they had Amber lights on the top panels in front. Once they started using LEDs they did NOT have Amber with a cured base. Airstream does not sell the Amber curved base light. There are Amber LED curved base light available to replace the old incandescent lights.
__________________
Dan Brown
Denton NC
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:16 AM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
I have figured out a few simple rules to determine what light goes where. First of all you will always need gaskets under your teardrop marker lights if the light is mounted directly on the skin.



The only time you do NOT need a gasket is when there is a metal casting like the picture below. There are both curved and straight castings.



Now the only other thing to determine is, do you need a curved base or a straight base.

Most all the lights mounted on the lower part the the unit will be straight base. In the picture below, even though the lower light is on a curved panel that part of the panel is straight enough to need a straight base light. The lights at the top need a curved base light.



I did this post because so many folks get their lights only to find they have the wrong lights or they need gaskets.


One other note, before Airstream started using LEDs they had Amber lights on the top panels in front. Once they started using LEDs they did NOT have Amber with a cured base. Airstream does not sell the Amber curved base light. There are Amber LED curved base light available to replace the old incandescent lights.

You need it?
tj402507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Dan@LED4RV's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 742
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj402507 View Post
You need it?
I'm not sure what the question is here. About what light
__________________
Dan Brown
Denton NC
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
thewarden's Avatar

 
2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
I'm not sure what the question is here. About what light
I think the reason for Dan's post is to pass along information about the marker lights, not ask a question.

Thanks Dan.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
I'm not sure what the question is here. About what light

Ok have understand
tj402507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Dan@LED4RV's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 742
Red face that is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I think the reason for Dan's post is to pass along information about the marker lights, not ask a question.

Thanks Dan.

I'm limited in how I can post stuff because I'm a commercial Member. I forget that some members may not know that, and the way in may come across is odd.

Thank you for clearing that up.
__________________
Dan Brown
Denton NC
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tear Drop marker Light update Dan@LED4RV Commercial Listings 4 10-05-2021 08:24 AM
Vintage Tear Drop Running Light Instal Report mello mike Lights - Interior & Exterior 5 08-19-2011 11:52 AM
1946 Dennette Tear Drop Travel Trailer Airstream eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 10-11-2009 03:40 PM
Mounting Replacement Exterior Tear Drop Lights 64Overlander Lights - Interior & Exterior 1 05-12-2009 11:24 AM
tear drop marker lights 63Airstream Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 22 04-11-2007 12:02 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.