Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Tear Drop marker Light update

The inside of the LED Teardrop lights have changed on the 2021 Models and newer. The inside of the light on the 2020 units have a built-up triangle shape with 10 LED/diodes. On the 2021 units they have a flat board with 14 LED/diodes. I have put power to both of these and the amount of light is the same but here is the kicker. At the time of this post, Airstream is using the same part number for both of the 10 and 14 diode lights. I looked it up in their parts manuals.

I have had two customer get these lights from me and complained that these were knock-offs, when they are the very same lights Airstream uses.
Here are what they look like.

A good many of Airstream owners may not care about the difference between these two lights but some folks who want their unit as original as possible will care.

If someone were updating an older unit to LED it only makes since to get the 14 LED. What unit needs what LED light with what base, with a gasket or not, can be a little confusing. If you have any questions please let me know.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I hope the new ones are more reliable than the old ones!

On my 2013, I have replaced five or six of the marker lights, and one tail light. (thanks for the prompt service, Dan) I have another marker light, and another tail light that are acting flakey. I now carry spares for each type in my trailer.
SSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can tell you that on my 2007, the only led lighting was the taillights. When I got it in 2010, both tails had individual LEDs out....several on each side. Dan was developing his supplier base at the time and sent me his best vendor's offering. Here we are in 2021, and both tails still are perfect.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
The good news is....

The single flat board lends itself having less problems over the triangular structure. Gluing and soldering 3 boards together has bound to have problems over time. They also made some changes on the plastic case and how it attaches to the base. All in all, I think it will be better.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Dan, I wish someone would make LED plug in diode boards that are made for the mid fifties Airstream Bargman #9 tail lights. We’ve had to take Grand General 4” truck lights and operate on them to remove the diode board to install in our #9s. A pain in the butt to do this, but works. Thanks for your involvement.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote