Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Recommendation for skin repair in Northeast?

Would anyone like to recommend a place in the Northeast can I get a few skin panels replaced? Also, any idea of what I can expect for cost?

A lot of people in the N.E. seem to go to South Jersey RV, but that's a solid 7-8 hour drive from where I live. There are two Airstream dealers further north (Cobleskill, NY and a right here in South Burlington, VT) but the Cobleskill dealer seems to work mostly on motorcycles and the Vermont guy is a boat seller who just became a dealer a few weeks ago!

The factory and the other Ohio shops (P&S, etc.) are at least 12+ hours from here, although obviously those are well recommended.

My poor little Caravel has numerous dents and scratches. Some will sand out or buff out, but several will require panel replacement. For an idea of what I'm talking about, see this picture. The dents on the roof are even worse! (The trailer was assaulted by a tree branch and run up against a brick wall in its earlier life.)

-- RL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof dents.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	2817  
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Try Marty's USRV in Berkely, MA. Still not exactly right across the street, but they're the closest A/S dealer. I asked someone in the local WBCCI unit if they've ever dealt with their service dept, and they reported that they had...they needed some sort of panel repair, and Marty's did a top notch job, on time, under budget, etc, etc. They highly recommended Marty's.

They place an add in the local wally club newsletter, and in it, they underscore "Expert Sheet Metal Repair".....

btw: where in VT are you?

www.martysusrv.com
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
I can't help you out on a place in the Northeast for repair, but mine is in the shop as we speak for replacement of the top 5 panels on the front. The cost is $800 per panel. I called the factory and they get $1000 per panel and $5000 for the top. I did not ask about the sides. I was also warned to keep the door locked when traveling. The door is around $2000 plus labor and additional parts.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I have a similar tree dent

RL,

I have a tree dent very similar in size as yours on my back end. I too would be curious if it could be repaired somewhat maybe with suction cups pulling it out. If replacement panels cost around $1,000 then I am not interested in perfect.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sadly, $800 - $1000 per panel, labor and materials, seems to be the going rate.

rluhr, I am no expert, but it looks like you have at least one damaged rib as well.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Mark, yes, I think you are right, the rib to the right in the picture looks like it is sagging. The wierd thing is that there is no damage or sag evident inside the trailer. The P.O. put vulkem in the gaps and the trailer does not leak even in heavy thunderstorms.

Davydd: I don't think my roof dents can be pulled out with suction cups. They are pretty deep dents that extend right to the rivets. But on the curbside I've got a few shallow dents and scratches that may be repairable without skin replacement. Like you, I am not interested in perfect if the cost is crazy.

At $1000 per panel I suspect I'll have to do it myself, someday, when I get very brave...

Raptorrider: I was warned by the P.O. to keep the door locked in transit and so "lock & check door" is on our laminated "Departure Checklist"!
-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote