Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
New tankless water heater

Just got the official announcement about a new RV tankless water heater system from Girard Systems. In case you are not familiar with Girard, they manufacture the lateral arm awnings that are found on almost all high-end motor homes (with high end pricing to match)

This new tankless water heater looks like a direct replacement for a Suburban 10 gallon model (as is the Precision Temp RV-500). The MAJOR DIFFERENCE is the pricing.....what looks to be about HALF the price of the RV-500.

I have one on order to test (they will be available next month). I will report back when I get it and put it on the bench. Here is the promo information that I just got:

Endless Hot Water...
What is Induced
Draft?
A power blower forces
the combustion air
through the heat ex-
changer (Induced draft)
producing instant hot
water.
CSA & UL Approved.
On-Demand
Induced Draft LP Gas
Tankless Water Heater
The Girard Products’ GSWH-1 Tankless Water Heater
incorporates a power blower that forces the combustion
air through the heat exchanger (Induced draft). This new
design results in a unit capable of providing:
• Higher Burner Power in a Smaller Package
• Higher Combustion Effi ciency
• Heat Transfer Effi ciencies in Excess of 90%
without Condensation
• Higher Wind Resistance Performance
ADDITIONAL FEATURES:
• Instant Hot Water – An unlimited supply of hot water when you need it plus
no recovery time!
• Energy Effi cient – Heat only the water you use. The GSWH1 Tankless Water
heater uses 60% less LP Gas than current tank models. No tank means no
heat loss!
• Lightweight – Over 65% lighter than conventional tank model water heaters.
Why carry 50-90 Ibs. of additional dead weight?
• Less Space – 12.5”H x 12.5”W x 15.5”D.
• Electronic Ignition - State of the Art Electronics – No pilot lights or manual
burners to keep lighting or adjusting.
• Dual BTU with AUTO Mode – Automatically selects High or Low Flame
depending on the input water temperature. You also can manually select the
LOW Flame Mode.
• Two Year Limited Warranty
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks fot the info Lewester!

PS, Glad you're still around!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Post back with pictures. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Lew,

I will be watching for your updates.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Very interesting! I'm extremely excited to hear your thoughts and experience with this new system.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Lew, have you got any idea how much current is drawn at start-up and while running? I look forward to your impressions after testing. Thanks and do use a moisturizer to avoid wrinkled toes...

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lew, I'm interested. My water heater is 5 years old - and for fulltiming I figure it's nearing end of life. Unfortunately mine is a six gallon... but reading the dimensions it doesn't sound that much bigger than what I've got in the 25 FB.... Think it would fit?

Will await your evaluation.

Paula
Old 12-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Looking forward to your tests and opinions, Lew. And where or what type of RV configuration is best suited to this. With two people I have a hard time in justifying it (leaving cost completely aside) despite the smaller size and fewer parts. With no washer/dryer and but two people in, say, a '34.

Would it be -- were it yours -- that four people in transit would best benefit by a tankless?

To go a bit off topic, would the Precision Temp ability to heat water and be used a hot water furnace be worth the trouble to eliminate the propane furnace and go to the trouble of new ducting, heat-exchangers, et. al in a trailer. I've been "seeing" this arrangement as a moho item.

Thanks.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #9

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Lew - Lew - Lew:

We're all waiting on you! Please give us your feedback on how the tankless system is working for you!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Lew,

Hope you had a good Christmas yesterday, happy new year too.

This question seems timely, does the Girard Systems unit have something like the RV-500's Cold Weather Package, either as a standard feature or an option?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi All,

I'm still awaiting the arrival of the first Girard tankless unit. I have 3 on order for clients at this point. They ordered them sight unseen!

I do believe that they have a cold weather package, but I will check further.

I'm expecting delivery of unit #1 sometime this week. I'll be bench testing it for a few days and will report back on my observations of this new unit.

Stay tuned!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Looking forward to your tests and opinions, Lew. And where or what type of RV configuration is best suited to this. With two people I have a hard time in justifying it (leaving cost completely aside) despite the smaller size and fewer parts. With no washer/dryer and but two people in, say, a '34.

Would it be -- were it yours -- that four people in transit would best benefit by a tankless?

To go a bit off topic, would the Precision Temp ability to heat water and be used a hot water furnace be worth the trouble to eliminate the propane furnace and go to the trouble of new ducting, heat-exchangers, et. al in a trailer. I've been "seeing" this arrangement as a moho item .
Thanks.

I had two RV-500's; first in my 1998 Monaco Dynasty 40' diesel pusher with 2 people in it and later in my 19CCD with just me. I would highly recommend it to anyone, irrespective of the amount of water used as they certainly save a huge amount of energy by design and you will never run out of hot water as long as you have water (shore hook-up) and sufficient LP. The new Girard unit seems to do exactly what the RV-500 does at about half the price. We'll see after my initial tests.

I have a friend who used a standard LP 10 gallon water heater as the basis for a hydronic heating system in his RV. There are many modifications to be made to the system, but there is no reason that you could not adapt a tankless water heater for this use. I used a residential tankless water heater (Takagi TK-Jr) as the heating source for a house-wide 4 zone hydronic heating system in my last house.

PM me if you would like more information and direction on this, as I have significant experience and expertise in the RV hydronic heating systems (Aqua-Hot) currently on the market.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
PM me if you would like more information and direction on this, as I have significant experience and expertise in the RV hydronic heating systems (Aqua-Hot) currently on the market.

Thank you, I certainly shall (and will refer to this thread). First I need to sell a house then buy another trailer. Your response made this item achieve a higher point on the list of to-do for that trailer.

Happy Holiday and a Happy "Lew" year.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
i found this:

Girard Products introduces tankless water heater > RV Daily Report |

i hope they offer an aluminum cover for airstream....
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
We have a 73 Tradewind. Do you know if it will fit? We don't need the door option? We put a tankless in our home years ago and like the gas savings and plenty of hot water when people visit. Thanks.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Product update

Hi ALL,

I don't know about the door options, as I have not received the door yet that I had ordered with my original unit. From what I can tell, the Girard unit is made to fit into the existing space of a 10 gallon unit. I will measure my unit that's on the bench (about to be tested for a week) and will post it in a day or so.

Stay tuned for the performance report for this unit.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I wish I would have known about the Girrard Tankless water heater, I just installed a new attwood 10 gallon. What a nice way to go. Does your water heater have to use a certain type of pump with a exact pressure?

Brian
Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I wish I would have known about the Girrard Tankless water heater, I just installed a new attwood 10 gallon. What a nice way to go. Does your water heater have to use a certain type of pump with a exact pressure?

Brian
I just ordered & installed a 6 gal gas/electric Atwood in our '75 20' Argosy MH (remodel). I saw last week on PPL's web site the tankless Girard, wish I had waited for the Girard.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ter-heater.htm
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Lew, so appreciate you advise and look forward to hearing on the bench test. Jim has the old one out. The deminsion of the opening is 16 X 12.5. The original door attaches to the frame of the old HWH. He is thinking he can dismantle the existing HWH and insert the new 12.5 x 12.5 x 15 into the frame/box of the old for reusing the original door.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
lewster - Do you think that this unit could be vented using a small vent hole on the side of the trailer, rather then cut a large door out? I have a 58 flying cloud that originally had a electric heater, so no door was cut. I would rather have the cleaner look of no door if possible.

Thanks for your expert advice!

Matt
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote