Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Boyden , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith View Post
Does your new coupler found on 2021-22 Airstreams work with the Andersen WD hitch? I believe there was a problem with your older coupler.
Both couplers will work with the Anderson WDH. Both couplers are almost identical. The new coupler has a more formed Ball socket because of a change to the shape of the face of the coupler, beyond that they are them same. We are slowly making this update to all Stamped couplers we offer. The problem with the old coupler issue was a mfg error on a select number of units and would not effect how the WHD work's with the coupler. The recalled coupler that were shimmed would also work with the WDH as well.
If anybody is interested I could go into more detail on the changes to the new coupler and what they do.
Demco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I have a 2022 Globetrotter 23FBT with a Demco latch coupler.

By far the most time consuming part of the hitch process is the ‘latch’ failing to drop automatically when the coupler is lowered onto the ball. I’ve had this trailer a month and I’m still not sure when the latch will ‘lock’ when hitching up, or what it is that causes it to drop. It usually takes me several tries, raising and dropping the jack up and down, before the latch will ‘lock’. It’s pretty frustrating,

Do any of you have any tips or tricks you can share to make this process more predictable?

I feel like maybe I’m missing something obvious here. I usually have the trailer chocked, and the truck is in Park. I thought maybe it depended on the location of the ball under the coupler, but this morning I tried several different positions, backing in, and it was probably 15 minutes before I got the coupler dropped onto the truck ball and the latch locked.

I’ve shot some silicone lube into the coupler, and always use fresh grease on the hitch ball, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

I have an Equalizer Hitch, set up by Colonial. Truck is a Ram 1500. Appreciate any advice.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
FWIW, I also have an Equalizer hitch set up with the Demco coupler on a 2020 Globetrotter.

In my experience, the fore and aft positioning is the critical issue with the Demco coupler. Rather than repeatedly raising and lowering the coupler on the ball, get the left/right and fore/aft positioning of the coupler over the ball as close as you can by eye then lower the coupler onto the ball and flip the latch down.

If it goes all the way down and snaps fully into position, great. If not, you can try gently rocking the trailer and sometimes the latch will snap down. More often, I have to get in the truck. With foot firmly on the brake put the truck in gear and slowly release a bit of pressure so the truck barely starts to creep. Don't use the throttle. You can try this both forward and reverse but with just the slightest movement you should hear the latch snap into position or, better, your assistant will confirm. As long as the ball is well centered left to right this should work for you; it does for me.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Agree with the info above 100%.

Kick the coupler at the ball and/or give the truck a shove laterally at the back. If those don’t work, move the truck very slightly forward (like an inch, i.e. park to drive with a split second off the brake or on the gas) and it should catch/latch.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks guys, I’ll try the kick the trailer / slightly move the truck w foot on break thing.

Re-reading the Manual (and, being a guy, I never do that ) it says pre-positioning the ball very slightly forward of the hitch coupler (so when it drops, it ‘curves’ over the ball, I guess) apparently helps as well.

Will report back how it goes after next connect up. Appreciate the help.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
The info in the manual makes sense. Lining up by eye it would seem best to center the coupler over the ball which is what I've always done. But the Demco seem to like the ball being positioned initially further to front which is why pulling the truck forward a little bit usually helps seat it. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2022, 04:41 AM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Do you apply a light coating of grease on the ball?

I had a DEMCO installed (cast iron 21K coupler) and clean and re-grease at each hookup, no issues. But it does sound like good advice to have the ball in the front of the coupler rather than the ball in the back while latching.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
The info in the manual makes sense. Lining up by eye it would seem best to center the coupler over the ball which is what I've always done. But the Demco seem to like the ball being positioned initially further to front which is why pulling the truck forward a little bit usually helps seat it. Good luck!
Thanks!

I have a mental image of the ball and the coupler, using the "magnified" setting on the rear view camera of my truck, so I will adjust that forward a bit and see if it helps to put the truck a bit closer to the front of the ball. One problem I have is the truck rocks forward slightly sometimes putting it in Park, enough so occasionally I put the parking brake on.

Thinking about it now, the times when the coupler snaps down is when the truck has moved slightly, so I'm sure that some movement is needed with this device.

It's just weird, I can't figure out what would keep the coupler from snapping down, normally. I've looked at the mechanism from underneath and there is not a lot to it. I guess the spring doesn't have enough pressure to push the cam down with the coupler centered exactly over the ball (where I have been trying to place it).

Towing on the ball is new to me; I did two years more or less full time with a ProPride and the 30RB previously, which was a whole different can of worms. Anyway, I appreciate the discussion, hopefully its just a question of learning the quirks with this Demco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Do you apply a light coating of grease on the ball?
Yes.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:20 AM   #29
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I position the ball under the forward lip of the coupler. Just enough so that the trailer moves slightly towards the TV when seating. It snaps closed every time.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrauss View Post
Here’s a picture.
If it aint broke...fix it 'til it is...what exactly makes it better, no safety pin?

BTW...always hit the 'parking' brake before going into park, helps with hitch/un-hitch and also less stress on the drivetrain.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Old 06-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jenkins View Post
Do any of you have any tips or tricks you can share to make this process more predictable?
Maybe.
I try to align the ball with the front of the coupler, so when I lower the jack the ball makes contact with the front of the coupler, and because I grease the ball, it slides in and pulls the trailer forward a tiny bit.
This is a generic internet photo that shows the alignment I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coupler5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	416791  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Maybe.
I try to align the ball with the front of the coupler, so when I lower the jack the ball makes contact with the front of the coupler, and because I grease the ball, it slides in and pulls the trailer forward a tiny bit.
This is a generic internet photo that shows the alignment I use.
Great, thank you.

Without knowing, I'd call that "mis-aligned", and attempt to "fix it" by moving the truck. With the advice in this thread, I will try to replicate that exact set up next time I hook up, and hopefully will have a better time of it.

Another thing I thought of is that normally I have both the under wheel and X-chocks in place while this is going on (I am kinda OCD about chocking the trailer). Perhaps I'll take the X-chocks out and rely on the four wheel chocks, to allow the trailer coupler to scootch over the truck ball, so that the Demco latch pops in place more reliably.

Great advice here from you "been there done that" folks. It really helps to have all that expertise on tap here on AirForums for this ball-towing newbie, and I appreciate it.

Rich
Old 06-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jenkins View Post

With the advice in this thread, I will try to replicate that exact set up next time I hook up, and hopefully will have a better time of it.
Just wanted to post back how this ended up. We are headed to Traverse City MI from Petoskey MI tomorrow, and the forecast is for rain all night, so I decided to connect up today in the sunshine.

Attached picture is where I put the hitch ball on the truck just now, backing up, to the trailer coupler. When I lowered the jack, as usual, the Demco coupler did not "snap" into place. I think maybe the ball was a little too much on-center. But, using what I learned here, I did the "rock the truck" maneuver, and it worked, i.e. the Demco "popped" into place.

I'll keep working this, but I very much appreciate the advice to make this a more predicable process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	416971  
Old 06-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Glad to hear your having more success. Based on your photo, I think the ball is still positioned a little too far back for consistent latching. But since simply rocking the trailer worked, it seems that you're getting closer!