Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
New Book on Mobile Technology

I've been waiting on posting this until after the holidays, but the cat is out of the bag. I was checking my newest web site's traffic statistics this morning and noticed many hits from the Airstreamfourms. My friend & proof-reader Carol, a.k.a. "WheelInterested", posted a link to the new site. Since "the cat is out of the bag," I thought I should post! Thanks for the push Carol!

I'm Rich Charpentier, member since Spring of 04', and owner of a 2004 25 Foot Safari. Recently I completed the publication of my first book, "The Digital RV."

The book is written as an introduction to all things "digital" that any RV owner might find useful. If you're a "novice" when it comes to digital technology you might find the book very useful! For those of you who feel really advanced with computers, the book might be more of a review for you, but you might learn a trick or two.

Topics include, but aren't limited to: New laptop selection. TV on your PC. Turning your PC into a "TiVo". Mobile communications. Digital Music. System maintenance and security. Digital photography & video.

The book is currently available through LuLu.com, and will be available through Amazon in a few weeks. Both print and electronic versions are available, so if you'd rather read about computers on your computer you can! If you order a print version you should know LuLu is a "print on demand" publisher, so it takes several days to print the copy before they ship it to you. The demo versions I've gotten from them have taken 3 days to go to print before they have shipped.

I hope you enjoy the book & new site, and find them both helpful!

Rich C.
DigitalRV.net
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Very Nice, good to see you back!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks. I'm glad to be back in the land of the living, and feeling fully recovered. The timing could have been better. My Airstream is currently ice covered and wanting a road trip! Maybe with this weekend's thaw I can get it cleaned up and ready to go somewhere warm!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 12-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool mobile technology

Hi Rich!
Good Job! Just downloaded your new book and I'm impressed. The book is very timely for and useful for me. I've been taking steps toward more complete mobile technology for the past few years, so I'm checking out the Egato EyeTV [could have asked for that for Christmas if I had only known] based on your experience. And now I have a great excuse for the iPod as well, since my granddaughter won't loan us hers. Thankfully I have all the other stuff on the required list except the JVC Everio.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks!

Bud,

Thanks for checking it out. I'm a big fan of Elgato, and it sure is fun to show folks when I travel.

I must say, the one dangerous thing when putting the book together was trying to avoid the temptation of getting new toys (I like them too much). Carol was kind enough to review the book along with several other folks, and there was a consistent pattern among all readers. They've all been telling me about the new gadgets they've gotten in the past few weeks. Carol just got an IPod Video!

I hope you enjoy it, and thanks for the kind words!

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool Christmas Technology

Rich, it turns out that I'll have the Elgato tomorrow becauses FedEx has a Saturday Delivery Special and I found it in stock at the lowest price using shopzilla.com. So, you have helped me to have a merrier Christmas than I expected. Thanks. . . You have a merry Christmas too!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Rich,

Nice to see that someone has a website devoted to RVs and the digital world. With the rapid pace (read: obsolescence) of digital offerings, writing a book about it almost guarantees that the information will be out of date as soon as the ink is dry. Some concepts and suggestions will survive for a while, but comments about products or capabilities or even integration will become out of date quite rapidly.

Your website has the potential to become that more up-to-date place, but I notice that even that is at least 3 or more months old with regard to the iPod. For example, you recommend models that aren't even sold new any more and don't mention the hottest iPods: the Nano and the Video iPod that has both 30 and 60 gigabyte configurations.

For RVers concerned about weight these digital choices are a terrific way to go. Too bad the manufacturers are stuck in a timewarp with their radios, tvs, cd and dvd players. Ancient stuff in even the most expensive models and wireless is nowhere to be found.

You mention that the iPod is less than a pound. That's factually true of course, but doesn't even begin to indicate how dramatic the weight savings can be. The heaviest iPod, the 60 gigabyte model weighs a mere 5.5 ounces, the Nano weighs just 1.5 ounces and the Shuffle weighs in at a mere 0.78 ounces. Couple those with some way cool portable speakers like my current favorite the Logitech mm55 that handles any model iPod and operates on rechargeable batteries or a/c and you've got quite a fine music system.

At the January Macworld Expo, I'll bet Apple adds some new goodies that will really change the way we think about digital media at home or on the road. Some people are already adapting the Mac Mini to cars and hacking FrontRow on other Mac platforms. Apple is certainly going to make this even more seamless shortly, which is why we didn't order any of the electronic options on our new Airstream.

With wireless connectivity at campsites, I'm certain that our audio/video/computing media solution will be a 17-inch or 20-inch iMac, probably wall mounted with wireless keyboard and mouse for good measure. All the new iMacs come with FrontRow software, wireless built-in, remote control, and the coolest and probably least reported addition the built-in camera for iChat AV. We have Macs at home and an older 20-inch iMac with iSight camera that we use for free video conferencing with friends and family almost every day. Keeping in touch by video chats is way better than phone calls and is free over any highspeed wireless or wired connection to the internet. We'll bring along our 17-inch Powerbook too.

Good luck with your book and website. I've bookmarked it and will visit regularly to follow your thoughts. Hope you can add a blog and an rss feed to which we might subscribe.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Keeping Pace

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. You're right on the IPod article on the site. That one was written shortly before the IPod video (carried it over from my old personal site). The video was included in the book though, and I'll be updating the site this week as well. Several new "launches" made me re-write as I was writing over the past few months. It does go fast!

Fortunatley I'll be using the site to provide updates on a regular basis. In addition a new blog will be added in January, and RSS feed as well. I'll be sure to update everyone when I've gotten there.

As for your comments on the IMac's, I'd love to see a Mini installed in an Airstream, and connected to one of the new flat panels! Blue tooth keyboard & mouse to control the system, and a VESA mount for the flat panel! Of course that would limit mobility, but it sure would be a great setup!

In the next few weeks there will be many updates to the new website. I started putting it together less than 2 weeks ago as I was finishing up the book. I know that with each new technology introduced I'll need a place to provide the latest updates.....
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 12-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Mac Mini in SUVs

Rich,

One of my favorite blogs is at feed://www.tuaw.com/rss.xml. Today there is a story from a car gadget site that shows a Mac Mini in a Lexus SUV. It powers two videos in the SUV. Great stuff that could easily be put into an RV, it would seem.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 12-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
_

. , .
hi rich/mike and others

what a great thread to start the more toward a.....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<digital subforum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

which i'd really like to see here.

rich...
i just took a quick look at your website; and i'll look at the book site later...for the download.

i just used the scanning tool you suggested in the 'airstream life' article and got a healthy setup/no issues report card. i've been looking for a site that does this scan.....now i've found it.

i hope you'll be sharing other useful websites in future posts......

also i enjoyed your 'first towing' report......lots of us have had this feeling.

mike...
i've long be an early adapter but never owned a mac. i'm considering going mac for my next laptop and a mostly wireless setup for the airstream and travel.

i like your idea for caravans that have a theme....i don't fly fish but do enjoy photography......

and another fun theme would be bike ridin'.....where a caravan could be organized around some prime ridin' spots... and while a caravan has more issues like travel days and multi location camping.......

a FORUM RALLY with some organized themes like fishin', photos or bikes would be a really great rally......

anyway i'm glad you guys are postin' and look forward to more good tech info.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
2air'

Don't even hesitate. Get to an Apple store and I guarantee you'll wonder why you even considered anything else. Macs rock. Absolutely no viruses, trojan horses, spam, spyware, or adware. Integrated apps like iPhoto, iTunes, Mail, etc. all work intuitively together. No need to buy anti-virus software, pdf writing, zip software. None of the stuff that really adds up to big bucks and wasted time and effort on the WinDoze platform.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 12-24-2005, 06:07 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Glad the link was helpful

2air,

I'm glad you found the scanning link helpful. I'm assuming you're referring to dslreports.com. I found that site years ago after having a personal IIS server hacked. Always used Apache since then, and I always check my network with dslreports. Glad you found the tip useful.

In the very near future I'll be adding a set of links on the new website that has similar web sites that will be useful when at home and on the road. There are many great tools out there, and fortunatley a lot of them are free!

I too am a big fan of Mac. When putting the book together I worked with both Windows and Mac systems. I have to say, there are still some interesting programs out there for Windows, and I admit to liking several media management platforms on Windows more than I should. I'll be looking forward to posting and writing updates about similar products for Mac in the near future. One of my favorite surprises while writing the book was SageTV.

On the Airstreaming notes from both you & Mike..... I enjoy taking my Airstream boondocking on the CT Lakes (Northern NH). There you can kayak on unpopulated lakes full of loons, otters, eagles, moose, and fish too!. There's plenty of mild mountain biking on old logging roads that are no longer used. And you're guaranteed at least one moose encounter per day. I'd love to see a "boondocking" type rally up there some time! Anyone who would attend would be "wowed" by the region!

Thanks for all your comments and interest in the book and site. I've gotten a great deal of feedback since yesterday, and I'll be working hard on site updates (even with the holidays).

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 12-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Digital SubForum??

Rich, nice site.... since I've been a "fulltime workamper" I've attempted to make my AS Moho the most efficient rolling office.
From the cockpit, Dell P4 laptop w/ Garmin earthmate StreetAtlas '06. Pyle 7" LCD DVD player/ backup monitor / stereo. Sirius sat. radio hooked up to the aux. input on the stereo of course.
"Walltop" computer mid coach is 12v capable but I've remained tied to the generator 120v ac as it's usually on anyway for other stuff. The computer was made by Industrial Flower Factory up your way in NH. Very compact size complete with DVD drive / PCMCIA and CF slot. Wireless keyboard, air mouse (dosen't need a surface), all connected to a 20" Scepectre LCD monitor / TV. Printing to a Samsung laser printer, paper tray was the reason for purchase but laser uses so much less ink it's great.
I use a Sprint Aircard with unlimited use in the PCMCIA slot so I'm online most all the time. Have wireless G network card for places with free wireless too.
When I'm away from the coach I use my Treo 650 with it's SD media card as an MP3 player / digital camera.
Need a Windows tester??evauator?? Just drop me a line. Happy to help.
Need a bumper sticker warning the "RF Sensitive to remain clear"
YES!!!! We need a Digital Subforum.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Wow! Great Setup

Glen,

You're setup sounds terrific! I like the idea of a bumpersticker regarding RF. I still have some RF warning plaques from my days running cell networks!

I would absolutely love to hear any ideas everyone has regarding equipment, software, new gadgets, etc. I'd especially love to see a few photos of your setup, as it sounds like you're decked out! Please feel free to drop a line directly to me anytime (that goes for everyone).

Today was spent finishing off wrapping (nothing like scotch tape & wrapping paper), and then working on a blog setup for the DigitalRV's site.

For all those who aren't fully loaded up into the digital world, don't think the information I've been working on isn't for you. The whole point of my new book and newly launched web site is to help you find ways to add the digital world to your rigs too.

So happy to hear from all the other "tech junkies" and "tech novices" alike.

Back to cleaning up the wrapping mess!

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
New Updates to the site

Hi again all!

Just wanted to post a short update. I've completed the installation of a new blog at the digitalrv site. Over the next few months I'll be posting new tech reviews and updtes, and they'll be annouced on the blog as well. Since it is RSS capable you can subscribe and know when updates have been posted there.

Thanks again for all the great feedback on the book so far. I wasn't expecting to have any feedback until January of 06', when I officially launched the book, but the early launch and reaction has been fantastic!

Please feel free to drop a line any time with ideas, questions, or just a hello!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 01-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A Digital RV Forum and Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetat
Hi again all!

Just wanted to post a short update. I've completed the installation of a new blog at the digitalrv site. Over the next few months I'll be posting new tech reviews and updtes, and they'll be annouced on the blog as well. Since it is RSS capable you can subscribe and know when updates have been posted there.

Thanks again for all the great feedback on the book so far. I wasn't expecting to have any feedback until January of 06', when I officially launched the book, but the early launch and reaction has been fantastic!

Please feel free to drop a line any time with ideas, questions, or just a hello!
You are moving fast! Nice interface. It will be fun to see the fun updates you post tomorrow. I signed up today.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
It's coming along quickly

Thanks Carol!

The past few days have been truly exciting. 2 other sites will be carrying the book shortly, and it should be appearing on Amazon within the next few days. I've gotten several great reviews, and one travel news letter will be putting a review out on the book next week.

Between working on the web site, and answering e-mails and phone calls. It's been exciting & fast paced. So glad for all the great responses here too! Wouldn't have put the book together without my Airstream! Can't wait to hook up and get out again soon.

The New England Spring Into Camping is coming up soon!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 01-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Just signed up for the DigitalRV forum!

Now that I've decided we've been hauling around too much stuff I went ahead and ordered "The Digital RV" from an online source (RVbookstore.com).
Since I'm waiting for delivery of your book I took a peek at your website and was pleased to see you offer a forum! Cool! I've signed up and hope to learn many things that will allow me to reduce the crap I've been lugging around while still being able to enjoy TV, music and movies. I love gadgets, thanks for encouraging me to purchase more.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #19
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread/website/new forum

Rich,
This is a very interesting thread, and I thoroughly enjoyed your website, signed up for the new forum. Personally I can't imagine life without a digital cam, computer, cellphone--combining all that with travel and Airstreams, wow, life is good.
Hereabouts, boondocking is about a favorite--kayaking/mountain biking/hiking would be a sweet rally theme. Someday I would love to do the Appalachian trail with the Airstream strategically camped for respite...
Good luck with your new book!
Best wishes!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Talking Kayaking & Boondocking

Steph,

Wow, you spoke right to me! One of the big reasons I got my Airstream in 04' was to have a "base camp" of sorts when up in Pittsburg NH. I go there to cycle, kayak, and photograph moose. I can never get connected up there, but I can shoot tons of pictures thanks to my digital camera and laptop! The Airstream gives me a fantastic home away from home!

Don't get me started on the AT. Hiked 1/3 of it in 01'. I've been wanting to hike the whole thing still. It would be great to "slack pack" the trail with the support of an Airstream following along.....any takers???

Thanks for checking out the site, and for the well wishes. Much appreciated!

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog