Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Exclamation Marine Stores, another RV Resource

I hit two local marine stores tonight, looking for Vulkem and/or Sikaflex. Didn't find any in this town 20 miles from where it is made, but picked up a small tube of "West's Marine" polyurathane sealant, close enough for rivet sealer, when installing Oly's.

Wow, there are many systems in boats and yachts that parellel RVs. West's has everything you could think of for 12 volts. Meters, breaker panels, terminal strips, florescent fixtures. I bought a Thin Light tonight. Many other items to numberous to mention.

So, if your looking for something "RVish" and you don't have an RV supply nearby, try a marine store!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Amen

I visit West Marine and prowl the aisles whenever I am in north Austin. Lots of marine things work well in trailers.

For instance, I didn't like the fact that my bed had to be disassembled to get to the terminal block in the very front of the trailer. I cut a hole and installed a large deck plate in the bed plywood over the terminal block. The plate unscrews from the ring for access. Now, I can remove a drawer and lay a flashlight under the bed to light the area, prop up the mattress, and reach down through the deck plate to the terminal block.

I also bought marine switches with all brass guts for use in the wet bath. They are protected by the shower curtain, but should be immune to condensation.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:44 PM   #3

West Marine-

Ya gotta watch what they sell there- its like the camping world of marine stores- a lot of less than the best parts for cheap money. Better than CW, but still- I am so lucky for where I am- I'm surrounded by high quality yacht stores.
Check these sites out-
The best- lewismarine.com

Next best- bowboat.com

Both are headquartered here in So.Fl, and Lewis is wholesale, but will sell to anyone under a "50 account" and will send you there massive 1000 plus page catalog for about 10 bucks or with any order. They have the absolute best quality, and do tests on every new product they bring in.

I'm stickin a new Mercury 300X on the back of my 1957 Custom- it oughta do 60 MPH- now if I can just figure out how to get the damn thing to float???
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Trailertrash,

Wherever you are at the majority of the time, Miami I guess?, I am sure you have top notch suppliers right at your fingertips. Like most of us landlocked folks I also shop at Boater's World and West Marine. Whatever I buy from whomever, I feel I am able to discern the quality rather well. I would rather lay my hands upon a part and make that decision myself. Mail order opens up another can of worms. Like Forrest Gump says, "You never know what you get" and when I need something I want it now!!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:35 AM   #5

I know what ya mean...

...but I listed those sites because I know the quality level is better- and if you plan on doing a project that you need better parts for- that you don't need emergency replacements on- these 2 provide an excellent selection, and fully guarantee your satisfaction. Things like Jabsco pumps are always in stock at Lewis Marine, and both have great prices on stainless hardware- something that I had a hard time locating in Phoenix a month ago.
If you take a look at their 1000 page catalog, you'll be shocked at what they sell, and they have everything in stock, and it goes out the same day you order- and its a 2-3 day UPS to Austin. A "50 account" will get a you a small discount of around 15-20% and if you have a business license to fax them- anything like a car repair shop or dealers license, even a hunting or fishing guide- they'll probably give you a wholesale account, resulting in deeper discounts.

Yes- I'm lucky- I admitted that- but just wanted to help- and a lot of people can't hold something in their hands and discern the quality- otherwise CW and Wal Mart would go bye bye! Peace...
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote