Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
LED Dimmers

We now have the LED Light dimmers.

PWM Dimmer 12 volt Knob Controlled, # 12VKDim

PWM Dimmer RF Controlled 12 Volt , # 12VRFDim
Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Pity it's got such an ugly face.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Dan,

I'm assuming the control can be mounted behind a cover or plywood. Is the knob shaft long enough to go through 1/4" plywood?

On the RF model, can you have more than one installed, and not have them interfere with each other?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Really digging the remote control.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I love this!
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Dan,

I'm assuming the control can be mounted behind a cover or plywood. Is the knob shaft long enough to go through 1/4" plywood?

On the RF model, can you have more than one installed, and not have them interfere with each other?

Chris
The shaft is 1/2 in. long without the knob. With the knob on, the clearance is 3/16 in. The shaft is tapered so you might need to put a little putty on it to insure you won't loose the knob over time if you wanted to put in behind a a 1/4in. piece of plywood.

Good question. Thanks for asking.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Thanks Dan - that helps me come up with an idea for our trailer.

What about the RF version question? I'm not really interested in a remote control, but others might be and might want to put multiple units in they can control separately.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Nice - thanks for posting

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Yes two dimmers will work

Quote:
Thanks Dan - that helps me come up with an idea for our trailer.

What about the RF version question? I'm not really interested in a remote control, but others might be and might want to put multiple units in they can control separately.
Chris,

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I did a video so you could see it. Yes you can use the two dimmers in series.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K5yNsQJxO-M...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K5yNsQJxO-M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I tried to port the video into the previous post but it does not work. The link is in it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
Chris,

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I did a video so you could see it. Yes you can use the two dimmers in series.
Hi Dan,

The way I interpreted Chris' question was not if you could use two in series, but rather that if you have multiple RF units controlling different LED lights, is there a way to control them individually? That is, can you change channels to keep one remote from interfering with the other LED receiver(s)?

That's my question anyway.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Dan,

The way I interpreted Chris' question was not if you could use two in series, but rather that if you have multiple RF units controlling different LED lights, is there a way to control them individually? That is, can you change channels to keep one remote from interfering with the other LED receiver(s)?

That's my question anyway.
Yes, that's exectly what was I was asking.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
one remote for two light sets

Quote:
Yes, that's exectly what was I was asking.

Thanks guys, that went over me head.

I'll look into one that I can get that will do what your looking for. What I'm reading about it says it will. I'll get back to you on it.

However, I hooked up two of the "PWM Dimmer RF Controlled 12 Volt , # 12VRFDim" controllers and one remote worked both of them at the same time. It also works inside the a wooden cabinet.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some devices that use RF to transmit signals for control have tiny DIP switches inside them to alter the code used in order to avoid, say, dimming your neighbour's lights, or vice versa.

Have you had a look inside to see if such is the case with this model? Of course, the transmitter AND the receiver would have to have them.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am reviving this thread as there are some new developments which maybe someone can use.

I am converting my AS to LED (mostly) and am kinda stumped with the issue of independent dimming control of the two reading lamps over the sofa. I have the 12 LED chips from Dan at LED4RV and would like to keep the independent dimming function as produced. I really don't want a remote and definitely don't want 2 remotes to lose! I also would prefer not to cut holes anywhere for the plate control units X 2. The ONLY PWM switch that I could find anywhere close enough in size to fit in the base of the lamps was this...

Dimmer switch for LED, UL listed PWM dimming controls from Kick Lighting

They appear to be a manufacturer or wholesaler. I emailed and asked for a price and availability for individuals, but haven't heard back.

I do not have my AS at home so here are my questions pertaining to front gaucho Classic models:

1) What is the depth of the base of the lamps (that is, the space from the bottom of the locker to the plate in which the current switch is mounted)?

2) Does the wiring harness for these 2 lights run from streetside front corner to the streetside lamp then across the false bottom space under the locker to the curbside lamp?

3) what is the height of the space between the false bottoms of the overhead locker?

The reason I ask about #3 is if the switch above will not work, Dan tells me he is due to get two new 2 channel PWM controllers next week. One remotely controlled (one remote for both channels), and one not remote.
If I can't have my PWM dimmers at the lamps, I would want to install the remote equipped unit in the space between the panels at the bottom of the locker.

Dan says he will test out these new units and let us know if they are "worthy".

Thanks for any help. I really don't want to just order stuff and find it won't work/fit.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Wireless RF Color Controller and Dimmer RFCon4RGB

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I have found what I think will allow folks to get done what was asked in an earlier post on this thread.

This controller was designed to control Red Green Blue LEDs in a strip. What is neat is it will allow one to use one of the colors as to control one string of lights and another color to control another string. There are 3 groups that can be controlled and can also be paired up in twos. I made a video to show how it works. The camera seems to catch a pulse like the light is fading in and out but that is not the case. LEDs are constant. This controller does dim LED lights.

It is model RFCon4RGB <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="YouTube - 12AmpLightController.wmv" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tags
led