Old 08-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #1

I- 10 free trials...

Hi Folks-
Anyone who is along I-10, and wants to see the SS in action to tell the world what you think please let me know. I'm in Phoenix, and heading back to Jacksonville, and have a half a bottle, a buffer and a coarse wool pad to hit it with and show anyone what it does.

Please let me know if you want to have me stop by and leave a nice shiny 1' square on your UNCLEAR COATED skin, or if you want to challenge me to a fist fight, as so many think they want, and I'll happily oblige either desire. Or, if you choose, I can shine it, and if you want to accuse me of lying- we can do both- shine and fight!

Looking forward to a willing soul with a dull trailer and a spare 5 minutes to prove the truth. TT

trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:34 PM   #2

Forgot- by the way...

The owner of Desert Gardens, Richard Oldham, in Quartzsite Az., is a regular stop for me- interesting old guy with a great sense of humor, and a fantastic outlook on things.

He had a 1956 Chevy P/U with very dull aluminum wheels. My buffer was too much trouble to attach to an extension cord and run out to it, but after 2 minutes by hand- he was so impressed he went and called SS and ordered a case plus some samples of what ever else they sell- I've only used the SS.

Doesn't mean much- I'm probably making that up also...

Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I live in Blythe and would have loved for you to give me a demo. I'm polishing mine right now going the conventional route. Compound with Nuvite, etc. I haven't polished the roof yet. Aircraft stripped the whole thing. Too late to turn back? Check the record, I did back you somewhat on the SS deal. Do a spot on my trailer and I'll post an honest opinion. I've got a Makita waiting for you.

I've been to Desert Gardens. When I started looking around for an Airstream last year I figured what better place than Quartzite. I just started driving around the place banging on the Airstream doors seeing if someone inside wanted to sell. Richard had a decent one at the time but I thought it was a little bit high. I guess you can't make money selling cheaply.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #4

Crap...

I was there this morning! Went for a swim in the river at that little park just next to Hidden Beach and then took off to Phoenix. I'm here to finish off a chopper frame that I have a guy here custom building me from stainless steel tubing- all polished- and bigger than the one Shaq Oneal rides. All 2" tubing, polished to look like chrome, and all the bodywork- gas tank and rear fender are molded in and made from polished stainless diamond plate.

If we don't get it finished in the next 2 days I may drive back and see ya. I'm pulling a 1947 Aeroflite back from LA to Jax.

And yes, Richard is not just high- he's crazy high! I just tried buying a 1940's White cab over semi with a sleeper cab from him- and it runs but needs tons of work, and he wants enough that I could probably buy Vinces Diamond T. He's still a great old fart though- and loves to talk about martial arts and fighting- he's an old kung fu master. Just goes to show- ya never really know do ya?

I'll let you know if I can do a u-ie!
Old 08-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
TT - I'm in Phoenix and would love to see SS put to the test in person. My '59 doesn't have any clear coat but the streetside needs a polish. PM me and let me know. I'm in north Phx just off I-17.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

TT-
Dont use it all up on them! I'm always looking
for an easier way and I'm 5 minutes off of I-10.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:22 AM   #7
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: flyfshr....

TT, I'll be looking forward to reading the reports on Southern Shine.

I never questioned your sincerity or honesty about this product. Any tips or info on new products or alternative ways of doing things that saves time and money, should be welcomed not challenged.

I think there was some confusion on the polishing method for this product which lead to the discussion getting rather heated.

I would think that anyone that is considering polishing their trailer, especially if it's 25' or longer, would be very interested in an easier method than that which consists of hours upon hours of tedious work. It would certainly be worth the purchase of a couple of bottles to try.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:52 AM   #8

Thanks for the ...

vote of confidence. And as TBKP's OL and I were speaking on the phone last night- ITS CHEAP!

I don't think that there was any confusion- I gave pretty clear instructions.

I'm doing one step better- doing it myself on others trailers- that way I'll know that the proper tools are being used, and its going to do what it does for me on their skin.

Flyfshr's sounds perfect, older and in the neck o' the woods where most of mine come from. I hope its nasty, and I'll shoot some pics of it as we do it- hopefully I'll be able to send them to newkid64 and get him to post them.

Hopefully we get on it tonight at about 7:30- 8:00, and it should only be about 103f in the shade. Hotter'n hell out here this week, my trucks overheating daily.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

TT
I'll be going to a ralley in a month so if you do mine
it will be seen by lots of people. I am intrested in trying
your method anyway.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:02 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
OK Folks...

here's the update on SS. I've now witnessed SS at work in person and it is just as TT claims. He came over and did a couple of roughly 2' x 2' sections of my trailer. The first section was on the, untouched by me, front streetside corner. In under four minutes the whole 2 x 2 area was glistening and shiney. He put on a less course pad and applied a second application which convinced me. I ordered 6 bottles and so did my friend that was here to observe. I took pictures but it was getting dark and they didn't come out very favorably. I will take some tomorrow in daylight and post them on this thread. It is amazing stuff, hardly makes a mess and clean up is a breeze. Thanks TT.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:11 PM   #11

I think I have ....

enough for one more trial on my way back home. I used most of what I had on Flyfshr's BEAUTIFUL 1959 TW. He's done a great job on his trailer- its got great touches very tasteful choices, and he's smart and has the right mentality to get a lot of fantastic little tricks and special replacement parts and unique needs accomplished. Anyone who sees it at a rally should check it out. I really loved it.

I can only say that after seeing his trailer and the work he had done, and he told me his investment, and I saw what it took him 10 hours to do, and what I did in minutes next to it and over it.

I have a feeling his whole trailer will look a lot better on the exterior very soon, and I was happy to show him a better way.

And no, we did not do it by hand...
Old 08-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'll Post Tonight's Results

The time between these pictures was seven minutes and two applications were done in that time. Here's the before:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2545  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:13 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Again it was almost full dark and we were doing this by flourescent light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	during.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2546  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:15 PM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Of couse at night there is nothing to reflect. I'll take some tomorrow during the day. I just wanted to show the process. How's that for a highlight?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	afterh.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2547  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #15

Please note...

...And Flyfshr will attest to this- that panel had a very dense amount of hard water stains- and I had to go over it extra specifically for those hard water stains. They bond to the aluminum tougher than any other stain. I pointed them out to him and they soon disappeared, but the rest of it was shining quite nicely after just one pass. His trailer had some very fine scratches and the water stains, and I would suggest wet sanding this skin with a light- 600 or 800 grit, and finish with 1200, then polish with SS and a finishing pass with a foam pad and Flitz or Nuvite's fine grade.

People who want a really perfect skin appearance need to get accustomed to using some wet sand paper- even if its to remove a scratch here and there... Shy away from it and you'll regret it when you've acheived a nice shine but have it marred by the scratches that actually show up worse after the shine comes into play.

Flyfshr's about as big as I am, and he should be able to get a good shine on his whole trailer with about 7-8 hours of work. We don't need ladders for all but the very top- about 3' in the center. I'm anxious to see him finish it up and will be getting his SS out to him soon so he can get started...
Old 08-05-2003, 07:11 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's the panel in the morning light. This took all of four to five minutes and that included changing the pad and finding the tool to change it with. Decide for yourself, I'm just supplying the photos. As for me, I wish my whole trailer looked like this.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	morningh.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2548  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Polish

Getting back to the issue at hand , I must say, the polishing job is quite amazing in such a short time. I had decided I would never polish my trailer as I would not have the 80-120 hours to do it. Now, with this polish....

Awaiting a full report from fly fisher.

Anyone else have comment ABOUT THE POLISH!
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
When I looked at FF's pic, I thought at first it was a window. I don't have a trailer, just a MH. It sure looks as good as others I've seen. If it can be done in less time, then I would think it's worth it. No reason to be stuck in a paradigm when a new or better idea comes along. Too bad my MH is painted.
I've been scoffed at before in other threads, and I choose to ignore. I've read some foul things in these threads and was tempted to respond aggressively, but I choose to ignore.
Peace, Airstreamin' brothers and sisters! Let's have a good time learning.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #19
nds
3 Rivet Member

Nice going TT!

Vindication is sweet!

Thank you for bringing this product to the attention of everyone. It will certainly save a LOT of time for those who wish to get that high gloss appearence.

Looks like you'll be able to do in one weekend, what would have taken over a week or 2 to do.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Southern Shine

OK, you sold me on SS. How much will I need to polish a 31' trailer with some oxidization but nothing near what I see in the pictures of the 59. What else will I need in the way of equipment (i.e. you have mentioned wet sanding - what is this?)

I have the SS website bookmarked but is this something that you are selling as a distributor?

Thanks,

Montanaandy

montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote