Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
2008 DWR Bambi 16' Now Shipping

Hello,

We received our first DWR Bambi today, I have taken 21 Photos for your enjojment and feedback. I think this trailer is going to be a huge success for Airstream the their dealers.

Link to Photos:
Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Weekly
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
This messy arrangement was done by a DESIGNER?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8368h.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	38283

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
What is the premium for the DWR package as opposed to the CCD edition?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I have the 16' CCD version of this - it's fun to see the changes being made. Thanks for posting the pictures! I like the appearance of the closet and bathroom enclosures more than my CCD - a warmer appearance.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
the instrument cluster was my first negative. next was the clock even though it will never fall off the wall going down the road. with that being said there is a lot to like in disparate places.

it is a mish mosh of design elements though. kinda like they tried to put the best little features from their different models into one very small package. how many different wood looks are used? at least three if you include the floor.

if i had it to spend i'd take a winnick retro design over this anyday.

now back to trying to land the purchase of a mint '67 safari.

--dave
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Pretty cool...

I love most aspects of the trailer, especially the wrap around windows front and back. However, I don't care for the green, or the retro clock. Thanks for the link!! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looks neat - I've always liked that 16ft ccd.
Thanks for the photos Patrick!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Front and rear Wraps...

Hello all -

Funny to read about the multiple references to the front and rear Wrap-arounds... since I have them on a '92 34'er.... They REALLY are the BOMB! Great views front AND rear. Does it get any better...?

The 'Bomb', that means good for those folks that DON'T have kids under 12 y/o....

I have posted several times, without much response, about my wondering as to the prevalence of the F/R W/A on any older (older than '05) trailers....

How uncommon is this feature? Show of hands? Anyone remember seeing ANY trailers with this feature? Just trying to get a sense of the rarity... A/S corporate is not much help here...

Thanks all.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
The "instrument panel" is a mess, the clock is out of proportion, not to mention how many times people will hurt themselves on those giant hooks near the kitchen... and I don't like the wheelcaps either, they don't suit the Bambi at all.

The red awning (not shown in pics) is nice though!
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Hello,

Here is a photos of the Red awning you are referring to.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I'm glad to see Airstream make these. I would think it brings in a whole new market segment that may not otherwise consider an Airstream. And really, it's all cosmetic. It's still a CCD, just with a different color scheme.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Specs say there are new shade style, can we see those closed? I like the range hood cover and styling looks nice and sleek. The wheel covers are stainless steel, no corrosion issues! I agree about all the instrument panels, AS could do something more sightly and thought out on all their units.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I have to agree with Sergei,

All those control modules, just to much clutter. If AS could come up with a safety so the hwh switch couldn't get accidently switched on, that could go in the closet or overhead compartment.

You need the two light switches. Since the tank monitoring systems never work anyway, maybe that could get hidden in an upper cabinet.

I am not sure what the thing that says "70" is, since there appears to be a thermostat in the bedroom. And what is the gray thing just below?

The clock is hideous. And besides, who wants to be reminded of what time it is when your out there somewhere. How about a portrait of Wally instead? Or me!

I would also remove the coat hooks/ roast beef rack thing. I think that with my hair and flamboyant dress style I'd get impaled to often. We use the bed as our coat rack. If we remember to bring our coats!

So now you have a newly decortated 16' CCD. I don't know the price difference between the two, but I would hope that with the new "design within Reach" has a price tag that is within reach as well.

On those notes of criticism, I really have to hand it to AS for going forward with ideas. It is a beautiful trailer. The RV industry as a whole seems to be stuck in 1970, while AS continues to consider and try to capture a whole new generation of RV'ers- the young and boomers 40-60ish.

All the best to Airstream!

Jonathan
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Concur with all that youv've said, and would add that the tv remains a cheap afterthought with no regard to wiring or antennae connections - it still appears to have wires running out to the receptacles on the adjoining wall. Also, the meat hooks will probably prevent viewing the tv from the dinette. The clock prongs will get bent in short order. The very cool porthole on the bath door is gone (how much did that save AS?). The magazine racks at bedside are gone (we find this a very useful feature). And for me, the rear wrap arounds let too much light in and make the space less cozy. Most of all, I am suprised AS doesn't engage their engineers on basic design flaws such as the bath door not opening into the interior space (yes, I know the "reason" they cannot) and the mickey mouse controls/stereo features rather than these cosmetics. It will be interesting to see how thes fare as far as the typical CCD problems.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The monitor station could definitely use some work...I don't think a designer had a hand in that layout. I agree about the ball clock being out of scale for such a small coach, but I like it anyway.

I like the red awning. Our gray awnings are kind of depressing if you ask me. But Airstream didn't ask me so when we ordered the road side and rear optionals, we were stuck with color or an expensive throw away, so we ordered to match existing. Maybe in 30-40 years we'll get a different color when it's time to replace the current zip-dees.

The one think I guess I don't like is that there are only two operable windows and they are the two center windows in the wraps. I guess that's why there is a wrap window on each end.

Also, it is interesting that Airstream thinks that 16' of design within reach means a $53,000. To mean "within reach" should mean more trailer and less $$'s to be within reach of most people.

But it is a nice little trailer with some nice design features.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Monitor Station (?)

A really good designer or architect does more than plans.

He or she MAKES SURE that the builders or contractors or sub trades don’t just slap things anywhere they feel like putting stuff.

The Devil is in the Details.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #17
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Living with CCD lockers

Here's our experience living with CCD lockers for a couple of years. They are cool looking but....a back light melted our plastic CD case when it was placed on the shelf too close to the light. At 5'3" my wife always had to use a step stool reach inside the lockers. Everything stored in the front of the lockers showed through the opaque doors. While traveling we kept the locker sliding doors from sliding open by securing them with hook and loop tethers from an office supple store.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
Here's our experience living with CCD lockers for a couple of years. They are cool looking but....a back light melted our plastic CD case when it was placed on the shelf too close to the light. At 5'3" my wife always had to use a step stool reach inside the lockers. Everything stored in the front of the lockers showed through the opaque doors. While traveling we kept the locker sliding doors from sliding open by securing them with hook and loop tethers from an office supple store.
And don't forget their unfortunate tendency to fall off the walls completely.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
A really good designer or architect does more than plans.

He or she MAKES SURE that the builders or contractors or sub trades don’t just slap things anywhere they feel like putting stuff.

The Devil is in the Details.

Sergei
As an architect I agree especially when it comes to one off buildings.

But often when designing for mass production, there are often design changes that are made to meet manufacturing processes that are outside the control of the designer and aren't necessarily within the realm of his/her approval. The designer sometimes is limited to the concept design and an industrial engineer takes the concept from there and makes modifications to meet production limitations. It all depends on what he/she is contracted to do and whether his/her name goes on the product like the CCD line.

My understanding of the Design Within Reach concept is based on several designers' production products selected by one design studio and used in the DWR line. But again, it depends on how much control the studio was given in the final product and whether they had approval on such details as the monitor station.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Also, it is interesting that Airstream thinks that 16' of design within reach means a $53,000. To mean "within reach" should mean more trailer and less $$'s to be within reach of most people.
I agree with you fully here! I didn't top 50K when I got my 25' FB SE two years ago. Patrick might negotiate down to roughly the same ballpark but I'll keep what I have, thank you.

Then ... I do have to (want to) use my Duramax-Allison to pull the 25'er. Anybody for a Taipei-to-Tibet Caravan? Sir Edmund Hilary has nothing on me!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote