Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Airstream thinking: "Airstream is trendy again, but we should reach more potential buyers... how? Let's go to a well known design company that is all over the USA, like DWR and give them the opportunity to make a kind of special edition, so we will reach and attract those trendy people... but shouldn't be to expensive, the Bambi is perfect, everybody of that trendy group can afford one.... nor to different from our current product line,... the 75th Anniversary didn't do that well and was a lot of work!"

DWR thinking:"Nice idea, we get more publicity for our company and if we stuff this Bambi with some of things we have in stock anyway, like clocks, coat hangers, chairs and some nice fabric... it wont cost us a thing to design this! Let's do it!"

I don't think the DWR cannot be compared to a "special edition" Leica, it's more like a Eddie Bauer Bronco to me. A shame.. it could have been so much more....
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #62
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Neat lookin' trailer. That clock is way, way 70s retro.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
WOW. just read the specs. This little 16' Bambi has a 15' sont TV in it. Not familiar with the Sont brand of tv, but it must be ok to get a 15' one in a 16' trailer.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

If you've got ideas, why not take them to the factory? We did, about a year before we bought. And you know what? They implemented a few of our suggestions. Probably not solely because of us, but because they heard the same things from others. I just hope we keep our comments here on the constructive side, so as not to turn off the people that think DWRs are really sweet.[/quote]

Wow! I have to say this is the first I've read that AS gives a fig. What were your suggestions? I feel kind of sorry for anyone who purchases this new model, although maybe not if they will use it as a bath house or to place on a building (!?). Chiq goes so far, but not having a bathroom cabinet or finding the divider made of shower curtain rather than competent material.......
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
Wow! I have to say this is the first I've read that AS gives a fig. What were your suggestions? I feel kind of sorry for anyone who purchases this new model, although maybe not if they will use it as a bath house or to place on a building (!?). Chiq goes so far, but not having a bathroom cabinet or finding the divider made of shower curtain rather than competent material.......
Really? I bet about 70% of the models now in the line were developed within the last 5 or 6 years. And some of them changed pretty radically several times during that period. Do you think they did that completely in a vacuum?

In '04, we went to Jackson Center for the tour. We walked right in to the office of the head customer service/marketing lady. She was happy to chat with us for quite some time. We were planning on buying a 28' CCD, but didn't like several features of the one they were building then, such as the combined gray/black tank, the A/V upgrade options, lack of a window on the bathroom door, and some other stuff I no longer remember. All of it was changed on the '05 model, which we then bought.

We went back in '05 to have some mods done, and a couple warranty fixes. We brought up a few more things, like the ugly "hump" that contains the TV wiring in ours, the fact that the TV runs off A/C only, difficulty adding external audio sources, etc. And all those things got fixed for '06. We also identified an engineering issue with the gray water tank venting, which I believe they fixed then and there, during the '05 production year.

I think they've made enormous progress lately, and it's clear to me that it was due to customer input. As far as the DWR Bambi, well, I won't be buying either. But I bet that's somebody's idea of a great trailer. Are you sure that a flimsy divider in a trailer that's only 16' long is really a serious issue? Is there actually any notion of privacy in something that small to begin with? How much bathroom stuff would be required in a trip you would make in a 16' trailer? It's not like full-timers are the intended market.

I've seen a number of shows in the last year or two on the home improvement and DIY networks where interior design people try to do makeovers on Airstreams. Some of them do ok, but a lot don't. I remember one particular show where the design people tried to affix press on carpet tiles to the interior aluminum skins, with pretty much zero success.

I think some of the interior designers are coming in to these projects with the wrong skill sets and attitudes. Trailers are way different than buildings. I think they ought to spend at least a few weeks travelling in one before they start getting creative. I don't know whether that happened in the case of the DWR or not.

As someone pointed out earlier though, pictures don't really do justice to trailers. It's possible that the DWR seems a lot more impressive in the flesh. I was blown away by the Base Camp, but only after I stepped into one. The photos really give you no indication of what they feel like. Maybe this thing is the same.

I hope the guys at Colonial will let us now how the wild bunch (Base Camp, DWR, Signature Editions) do in the market place. I'm hoping they all sell like crazy.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
I did notice one detail I like! the hood in the kitchen...is this hood just for the DWR model, or is it on all new Bambi models?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos10
I did notice one detail I like! the hood in the kitchen...is this hood just for the DWR model, or is it on all new Bambi models?
sos10,

Did you find that picture on line, or take it yourself? Since you own a CCD of similar size, you'd be able to do a better job noticing the differences than a lot of people would. I'm interested in hearing what somone who's actually been in one thinks.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #68
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos10
The hood was used on some of the original 2007 International Signature Models, but is now only used on the DWR model.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
make, model, size?

Thanks

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #70
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
This model is a 2007 Airstream International Signature Series CCD 23' D

Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Weekly
Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
"Form Follows Function"

Personally, I prefer a trailer that reflects the personality of the owner rather than a "packaged design" no matter who does it. I know & love many of the DWR products offered online & in their stores...the Bambi IMO does not represent DWR well.

I think if Airstream had applied the DWR concept to a larger trailer it may have come off better...the 16' Bambi has too little space to be "decorated"...it should be functional, there's no room to spare.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #72
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think the reason the Quicksilver Bambi was such a successful design was that all of the colors are subtle. There are no major contrast like the orange/red is in the DWR. I do applaud Airstream for thinking outside the box, but I think the design just comes off too "in your face". The Quicksilver is all in the same color family and same tone, IIRC the one I visited at the Can Opener Rally in January.

I agree that the 16' Bambi is just too small for the color scheme. I, again, think it would have worked better in a larger model and would have been better received on this board. The 75th Anniversary Edition was a larger trailer and was very successfull...at least in its reception if not sales numbers. I think the DWR will suffer the same sales figures that the 75th has in that it is just too expensive for the average Airstream buyer. Yes there will be those who will buy it for the prestige factor, but most people don't go camping to impress their campground neighbors. OK, there are some that do, but most don't.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
sos10,

Did you find that picture on line, or take it yourself? Since you own a CCD of similar size, you'd be able to do a better job noticing the differences than a lot of people would. I'm interested in hearing what somone who's actually been in one thinks.
The pic is from the Colonial Airstream website.. I never liked the hood in my CCD Bambi, ugly shape and way to big...this one is slightly more modern/slim looking.

Other detail I do like about the DWR model is the thicker kitchen top, although I still think they should make a sink/kitchentop in one piece... in Aluminum, Stainless Steel or even better in Corian. It would save space and weight, the sink could be bigger too and the whole would be more leak proof.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Looking at the Colonial Airstream site it's $7,000.00 more than another 16' Bambi that they have listed. You could buy three maybe four sets of cushions, curtains , bedspreds and accessories and switch them with the seasons in such a small trailer.The awning may be a little more difficult and expensive.My objection to the DWR trailer is what is actually designed within and not just taken off a shelf and added.The Wynick trailer WAS a complete interior design and build. This special edition truly looks like someone spent $1500.00 tops,brought the stuff home in their car and an hour or so later:Special Edition. If your impressed with designer labels this may be just what your looking for,but I believe if you have even a bit of design talent you could do a lot better yourself. If you put a designer label or a special ,limited anniversaryor whatever edition on just about anything and raise the price there are always people that are going to take the bait.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #75
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman2
it's $7,000.00 more than another 16' Bambi that they have listed.
Keep in mind this trailer also has the Solar Charging System and Inverter $51,141.00 would be the MSRP without those additional options. The DWR package will cost roughly $4,000 more than the Ocean Breeze 16' Bambi.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
Looking closely at those pictures from Colonial, I'm seeing more detail differences that I hadn't noticed before. The cabinet doors are completely different than standard CCD ones, and I believe the curtains are made of a different fabric; things I'd missed. Then there's the improved hood, and all the obvious changes, like the clock and the awning.

Considering the loaded nature of the unit Colonial has, it doesn't seem like a terrible deal to me. I bet the Zip Dee company charges a healthy premium for a small run of custom red awnings. And wrap around windows on both ends (just like Mr. Deam's personal trailer, which was later stolen) have to cost something extra as well.

I would love to have seen something more elaborate too, but at some point, you have to remember that the least expensive Bambi is already very expensive as small trailers go. Some major restructuring would probably push it into Hollywood territory. I'm not opposed to that, but I'm not going to buy in either.

I don't really agree with the idea that strong colors don't work in small spaces. I can usually only tolerate strongly saturated colors in small amounts, in accents and so forth. Imagine a 34' Classic with a bright red awning. I think that would be "rather assertive." If you can't use them in large areas, and you can't use them in small ones, you'd end up with nothing in interesting colors. (Much like the dull housing development in northern VA we used to live in.) So I have no problem with what they've done with color in the DWR.

Personally, I'd like to see Airstream try some exuberant 50's colors, like sea foam green, coral, etc. Basically, any color they used on the original T-Bird. If you think the DWR is polarizing as it is, I bet those colors would really cause some outrage...
Old 06-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Too Little for too much $$$$$$$$$$

Hi, what's next? Maybe paint a 16' Bambi bright red and put some yellowish looking leather seats in it and a black horse emblem on it and call it the "Ferrari Edition" for a mere $100,000.00 or more. Oh and while we're at it why don't we just put windows all the way around it. [like on a school bus]
I think Airstream should think more on the line of makeing something more practical and affordable instead of makeing something that only stupid, rich people like Pari$ Hilton would want. Let Inland Andy build the High dollar custom units for these people.
That's my opinion. I think it's just wrong when some fancied up 16'er is some day going to cost more than a 34' Classic.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Although the Design Within Reach Airstream isn't my cup of tea, I have to say that the folks at Colonial Airstream are some of the best people that you could buy an Airstream from. I bought my 2007 Classic from them and I would do it again in a second if I were trading. They have the best website of any dealer in the U.S. with the most photos and are also usually the first to feature anything new from Airstream on this site. So while I may criticise the design of this unit , the quality of my 25' Classic is excellent and the service that I've received from Colonial is even better.Patrick, Dave and Lauren really did go the extra mile to make sure that I got the changes and the unit that I wanted.Just wanted to make clear that criticism of the DWR is not in any way a criticism of Colonial Airstream
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, what's next? Maybe paint a 16' Bambi bright red and put some yellowish looking leather seats in it and a black horse emblem on it and call it the "Ferrari Edition" for a mere $100,000.00 or more. Oh and while we're at it why don't we just put windows all the way around it. [like on a school bus]
I think Airstream should think more on the line of makeing something more practical and affordable instead of makeing something that only stupid, rich people like Pari$ Hilton would want. Let Inland Andy build the High dollar custom units for these people.
That's my opinion. I think it's just wrong when some fancied up 16'er is some day going to cost more than a 34' Classic.
Well...although a bit over the top... I agree that instead of dressing up the current trailers, they should concentrate much more on new technical and build solutions for their trailers. Like using newer materials, reducing the weight, reducing power consumption and so on.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
I actuallyn thought that red Vagabond trailer SmokelessJoe shot was pretty cool, but you don't have to worry about ever seeing anything like that roll out of Jackson Center.

Haven't we established that the DWR only costs about $4k more than a similarly equipped 16' CCD? Nobody will pay sticker for any of those anyway. If you can find a big classic for that price, buy it. And make sure that when the first DWR buyer chimes in here someday that you tell them you think they're a "stupid rich person."

Airstream is already working on a set of lighter trailers for Europe, but don't expect them to be cheaper than the current ones here. Strong, lightweight materials cost big money.