Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Nice!

The BIG clock in a very small trailer is a bit odd.. but hey... like the DW 75th, these units are targetted at buyers who are into not only function but design, and some will like it. Could be easily broke mind you...

Great that they flowed the color scheme to outside (ie the awning). Wish we had something other than the gray on the 75th.

Curtains could have had some red in them too... but at least they are something other than the flat blant off white curtains in other current Safari/CCD's. The silky white material isn't bad.

Brilliant on having the thermostat in the bedroom NOT the bathroom

I see that Xplod unit is quite popular these days... we removed ours... couldn't find reason to have the need to load up 10 or 12 CD's.

I agree someone wasn't thinking when installing the controls. Looks pretty bad for such a posh trailer.

Still if I was in the market for a 16 footer... I would buy this one over the regular CCD or Safari.

Thanks for posting this Patrick!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think the term "Design Within Reach" sounds condesending. Does it mean that for most of us it's out of reach, and these good people are going to choose the objects that they think are good design and put them within reach. I would be embarrassed to pull a trailer around that said "design within reach" on it. For a 16ft trailer in the $50K price range maybe it should be called "Stupidity Within Reach", because when you tell anyone what it costs it would seem to make more sense.Subtracting 3' for the A-frame thats $4076.92 per foot before you add anything else.It's not Airstreams best effort... come on guys.;-)
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Oh... forgot to add: to call it posh. Posh means luxurious, elegant and fashionable. If that includes , white plasitic an Orange bedspread, and striped fabrics with a Red awning, it's all lost on me.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , 49505
I'm not "getting" why there are so many negative comments regarding design elements in this one. That's a Nelsen Ball Clock! It's a classic piece of mid century American design. It makes perfect sense in an Airstream.

I also view this one as a riff on what started with CCD. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is so expensive that only someone with a lot of cash is going to own one. $53k for a 16' camper! Wow.

Who am I to complain, though. My house is full of furniture like that.
Scotty C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
It might be "Design Within Reach" but the prices are getting "Outta Reach"!

I think the wheel covers look out of portion. The large discs needs some contrast to break up the large shape.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Lafayette , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev

I am not sure what the thing that says "70" is, since there appears to be a thermostat in the bedroom. And what is the gray thing just below?
The "70" thing is the Solar Charging Display. Not sure what the gray thing under it is.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
The Gray thing is the 600W Inverter Control.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C
I'm not "getting" why there are so many negative comments regarding design elements in this one. That's a Nelsen Ball Clock! It's a classic piece of mid century American design. It makes perfect sense in an Airstream.

I also view this one as a riff on what started with CCD. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is so expensive that only someone with a lot of cash is going to own one. $53k for a 16' camper! Wow.

Who am I to complain, though. My house is full of furniture like that.
I love this clock,but not in a Bambi!
And the "design within reach" name I never understood.. they never were "in reach"... They could have done more with the Bambi to make it really special, this version just doesn't do it for me.
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Perhaps some of you were unaware that Design Within Reach is company that has been selling all kinds of designer objects, like very stylish modern chairs and tables, for quite a few years. This is not something dreamed up by Airstream alone all of a sudden.

DWR prices may seem high, but when you look at the cost of the truly exclusive prodcuts that really interest their customers, they don't seem out of line. I suspect that the kind of people that might be interested in this DWR Bambi are the kind of people that would have been seriously interested in those custom Airstreams that Ralph Lauren auctioned off a few years ago.

They won't be people that just sort of wander onto an Airstream lot looking for a trailer. They'll probably read about the DWR Bambi in Dwell magazine or Architectural Review or something. If this thing didn't exist, they would never even look at trailers at all.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #30
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
AgZep, You hit the nail right on the head.

Thank you,
Old 06-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hey Silver Toy, maybe you don't always get a response because us older folks can't understand what you're trying to ask us. I got the "bomb" reference, but what else was it you wanted. I have the wrap around windows on my 78 Argosy in the front only, and I love them, except at night when there seems to be just too much window for people to see in. Dogs love them because it makes "guarding" the Argosy sooooooo much easier.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
Perhaps some of you were unaware that Design Within Reach is company that has been selling all kinds of designer objects, like very stylish modern chairs and tables, for quite a few years. This is not something dreamed up by Airstream alone all of a sudden.

DWR prices may seem high, but when you look at the cost of the truly exclusive prodcuts that really interest their customers, they don't seem out of line. I suspect that the kind of people that might be interested in this DWR Bambi are the kind of people that would have been seriously interested in those custom Airstreams that Ralph Lauren auctioned off a few years ago.

They won't be people that just sort of wander onto an Airstream lot looking for a trailer. They'll probably read about the DWR Bambi in Dwell magazine or Architectural Review or something. If this thing didn't exist, they would never even look at trailers at all.
mmmmh.... I'm a Dwell reader (btw..Dwell's founder is the wife of the Bambi CCD's designer Deam) and Airstreams, especially the Bambi are already extremely popular with that crowd... no need for a DWR version...
but the point is that a DWR version would have been swell if it was a real special Bambi, which it isn't.
And as a Dwell reader this puts me off.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Way too small for my taste,but love the rear windows .
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
sos10,

I'm well aware of Christopher Deam and his contributions to Airstream, and of course his relationship with Laura (and by extension Dwell). I not only read the magazine, but I TiVo the show, or at least I did until it went away.

Anyway, if you doubt the utility of offering an only slightly modified "limited edition" version of an already expensive, exclusive item for a lot more money, I invite you to explore the history of the Leica limited edition cameras. There are oodles of people all around the world that will gladly pay 10 times the price of a normal Leica for some special version with an obscure covering material, only to put it in a safe deposit box or a glass display case somewhere, along with a dozen or more other rare variants they've "collected." These things regularly sell for many thousands of dollars. I've never seen anyone take a picture with one.

I doubt anyone will ever start collecting new Bambis with the intention of not using them, but I bet there will be plenty of people who will be delighted to fork over the premium for a DWR. This same debate erupted over the Quicksilver Bambi a year or two ago: too expensive for just a few different materials here and there. Never sell. Guess what? We found one who's happy owner had tied up in an RV park here in Las Cruces, New Mexico, about as far from the center of the high style universe as one can get (Elk City, Oklahoma notwithstanding).

I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg. I hope there's a half dozen pricey special edition rigs every year. How about an obscenely expensive Classic outfitted with sustainably harvested Cancharana wood cabinets? Or maybe a "Formula 1" International, with a few titanium interior bits and Alcantra seating. The possibilities are endless...

I won't be buying any of them, and to be honest, I'm kind of shocked at the list price for a new 28' CCD, compared with what we paid for our '05. But for those who have the means, I say have at it!
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
sos10,

I'm well aware of Christopher Deam and his contributions to Airstream, and of course his relationship with Laura (and by extension Dwell). I not only read the magazine, but I TiVo the show, or at least I did until it went away.

Anyway, if you doubt the utility of offering an only slightly modified "limited edition" version of an already expensive, exclusive item for a lot more money, I invite you to explore the history of the Leica limited edition cameras. There are oodles of people all around the world that will gladly pay 10 times the price of a normal Leica for some special version with an obscure covering material, only to put it in a safe deposit box or a glass display case somewhere, along with a dozen or more other rare variants they've "collected." These things regularly sell for many thousands of dollars. I've never seen anyone take a picture with one.

I doubt anyone will ever start collecting new Bambis with the intention of not using them, but I bet there will be plenty of people who will be delighted to fork over the premium for a DWR. This same debate erupted over the Quicksilver Bambi a year or two ago: too expensive for just a few different materials here and there. Never sell. Guess what? We found one who's happy owner had tied up in an RV park here in Las Cruces, New Mexico, about as far from the center of the high style universe as one can get (Elk City, Oklahoma notwithstanding).

I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg. I hope there's a half dozen pricey special edition rigs every year. How about an obscenely expensive Classic outfitted with sustainably harvested Cancharana wood cabinets? Or maybe a "Formula 1" International, with a few titanium interior bits and Alcantra seating. The possibilities are endless...

I won't be buying any of them, and to be honest, I'm kind of shocked at the list price for a new 28' CCD, compared with what we paid for our '05. But for those who have the means, I say have at it!
I would agree with you if the DWR version was living up to it's name, but adding a clock, coat hooks, a different color-scheme and 2 added chairs is not enough in my opinion. They could have done something much more interesting and better designed (clock out of proportion, hooks to big, ugly control-panels) like higher quality materials for the table, wool covers for the dinette with extra cushions, designer lightfixtures, Vola faucets, build in iPod holder...
The Quicksilver had a complete different feeling then the CCD, just like the 75th anniversary model.

Now on the other, not raised, question if people will buy them... Maybe yes, maybe no.. I for sure wouldn't.. The CCD (or the 75th if you can afford it) are much purer designs, and I have my doubts about this one.

I think they should have pushed the design further, make it more exclusive and expensive, and then they might reach the market they're aiming at.
But I could be completely wrong.

Other special editions are welcome. I'm actually thinking of transforming mine into a "special edition"... gutting my Bambi and rebuild/redesign the interior with Alucobond and other high tech materials...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
The ultimate AS to me, would be one using boat quality finishing (woods and hardware), like in quality cabin cruisers (boats).
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
The ultimate AS to me, would be one using boat quality finishing (woods and hardware), like in quality cabin cruisers (boats).
like this german motorhome...Knaus

Although not completely my style, the quality and attention to detail is amazing.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The quality of the German motor home and trailers appear to be very high. The Germans are superb engineers. I use Felder and Festool woodworking equiptment in my shop because they are lightyears ahead of U.S. in quality, design and a systems approach to their tools. My workbench is German made also. Someone mentioned Leica, I use a Leica MP as my everyday shooter and you couldn't ask for a better designed and built camera. With the Design within Reach Airstream, I don't understand what your getting that really sets it apart from anything else that they offer other than the over sized and out of scale clock, a dangerous looking towel rack and clothes bag with their logo on it. What really makes this special edition unique? The trailer designed by David Winick is really nicely done. This trailer looks like you went shopping in Marshalls or Target. Take a look at the Design Within Reach's website... $1800.00 tea carts made from bent chrome tubing. Am I missing something here? Seems to me someone is pulling the design wool over someones eyes.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I have to admit this discussion of the Design Within Reach 16 footer is fun. Despite all, the real test of this special edition will be if it sells. Most of us on this forum already have our Airstream and probably will not be buying a 16' Bambi. In other words, the hoped-for market is someone else and, if the various special editions bring in new Airstream owners, good.

If the DWR version does not sell, then only a few will be built and they will REALLY become collector's items when enough years pass that they are in the vintage category. Who knows, those clocks may become a hot item on the Airstream restoration market.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #40
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Price doesn't matter to some

Our local dealer just sold a 75th model to a lady who intends to put it on top of a building! Seems to me any old Airstream would have been a lot more cost effective for that use.

I hate to see a rare model go for that kind of use; to just sit there and deteriorate.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote