Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
2003 De-Lam Woes??

We are traveling to see 3-5 2003 25' Safari's this week. Chances we will purchase one. Over the past 2 yrs. we have ruled out the Bambi & even the 22's as too small for 90-180 day trips in our plan (recently retired-both of us!!). Money is an object & although the Classic is more to our taste the Safari looks best for us.
I have seen a lot of posts regarding de-lam problems on 99-03 models with one post suggesting 03's after s/n ******512600 are 'safe'. Is there anything I need to know before buying one of these? We are doing fine but money is an object.
P.S. I contacted a dealer in Houston re: an A/S on their lot & when I enquired about their quote of list price vs. selling price the sales rep said "We sell at list or ABOVE, If price is an object to you, you don't need to be looking at an Airstream."
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Ed & Deb
Fing another dealer. We got our new AS for 20% below list. Go to an RV show about this time of year where they make good deals because the dealers want ther first quarter orders from the mfg's to look good. They also know that you will most likely buy your hitch and other AS products from them where they will make up for the reduced trailer selling price. Maybe Porkey can give us his % savings on his new AS.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
John "Pahaska" Irwin appreciated working with the Buda dealer. When I was looking at new units last fall the Converse/San Antonio dealer was immediately quoting 14% below list. Post-purchase access to a dealer you trust for maintenance is worth something too... See Airstream's dealer locator.

I hope you get some good responses!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Ed & Deb,
Find another dealer.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Another Dealer-Absolutely

Since that experience in Nov.'03 I have been calling all around Texas and border states. I have found at least 3 dealers willing to work with me at reasonable prices (one was willing to quote 20% off) on units in stock that meet our needs/wants. We are going on the road this week to try and close a deal, have 5 units in-line to see.
One of the dealers said he has sold 4 A/S's to people that same dealer has insulted the same way! I won't put any more details in print but will be willing to share in person at future rally's et al.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Good for you, guys! Go for it and let us know which dealer gives the best deal. Tell em you will post their name on airstreamforms.com if they give you a REALLY good deal.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote