Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Excella is full of Surprises!

Well this is our new to us toy. And so far I have learned that when you purchase a AS, whatever you gave for it expect to put that much more into it.... So today I opened my box of goodies that was waiting for me when I got home and Mrs. S ordered the Carpet for the bedroom while I was gone and we were supposed to install that today and continue on our way to putting the AS back together.....WRONG!
While I was away at work I done some research here on the forums, and I found out how important the flooring is and how it needs to be done right. Well I figured I had no problems there becasue I paid an RV shop to put the sub flooring in my rear bedroom. ...WRONG!
So now Im back at square one. They cut the plywood to slide in around the bolts to the C channel but thats not even the worst part, the ply wood dosent even reach the C channel..... ....So I spent the day ripping out what I had paid to put in and now Im just going to try and do it myself. Whats the old saying if you want it done right do it yourself...... We shall see.
So after surfing the forums for knowledge Ive decided that Ill attmept the same procedure that Mr. HiHoAgRV used to fix his flooring...(Hope you dont mind me using your tacticts) Im not the best at working with wood but check out the pics I got to be better then the so called Pro's I paid to do it. Moral of the story .....Be wise with who you trust to work on your AS ......

Guess now Ill order some POR-15 and some vulkem....anything else I need? Feel free to chime in...Im a first timer And Mrs. S wants her baby fixed RIGHT!
Attached Images

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I admire your good spirit. I'd have the pen and paper out writing a profanity laced letter to the repair people.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
You'll need more and more and more and then some more. Good luck! I'd be hottern' a hornet's nest if I were you.
You'll need some ACX or Marine Grade Plywood. Stainless steel elevator bolts, nuts, washers to hold the floor down. Wood sealer. Lots of tools. And a bunch of things that I can't remember right now.
Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
You have several thousand Air' members rooting you on...

Let us know if you hit any road blocks...

IMO the goal is to get a solid floor that is bolted to the frame and ties to the bottom of the walls...

Good Luck!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
At it again

Well DanielB I agree with you I wanted to drive to the Rv shop 8 miles up the road and give them a sample of my vocabulary skills but Id prolly end up in the county jail and Id just be that much further behind on getting to my goal. So I'll leave it to Karma...

I did get my Por-15 on order with some other sealants last night. I found out that the Por-15 is pretty costly. But if it does the job then Ill be happy. One question I have, I buffed the heavy rust with a wire wheel to get the heavier flakes off, but do I really need to clean down to the bare iron before I apply the POR-15?
I also got some marine plywood and some materials to make templates. Still need to get the elevator bolts that pb379 pointed out.

My mission for today is to try and get the floor templates made and have my flooring ready so when the POR shows up Ill be ready.

Thanks for your encouragement HiHoAgRV, I was glad to see you chime in on the thread. I may have to ask you some questions if i get stumped.

Well guess I better get to work, Its a little chilly outside but I know some of you are buried in snow so I guess I can call myself lucky....

Heres a couple other random pics from yesterday....Got some ghost numbers up front any takers from previous owners...7478
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The instructions that came with my POR-15 said to get the loose stuff off with a wire brush, clean the area of grease and contaminants and then paint right over the remaining rust. It has been 4 years and the A-Frame still lokks great...

It is very thin paint and a little goes a surprisingly long way. Wear gloves -- it is a bear to get off skin.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You don't have to grind your metal down to the bare iron before using Por-15. But you should use their prep sprays before you apply the Por-15. One is called Marine Clean that you use first and the other is called Metal Ready that you use second. The Marine Clean removes any grease that might keep the paint from sticking & the Metal Ready etches any remaining paint. It's not a big deal do those steps. I did them on my frame & it came out nicely. You seem to be patient (I'd be having a stroke if I paid a shop & they did that kind of work), so just do it all the right way! Good luck!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Fix Da leaks!
In my '91, every hole in the floor was in a predictable place...right at the slot in the channel...

BUT

the leaks were FEET away...the upward facing channel acts as a canal to catch all of the small leaks and funnel them to the slot

With the channel exposed, now is a great time to look for leaks!
Attached Images

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
JS,
Regarding elevator bolts, check out this thread,
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-is-73250.html

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Break Time

Thanks everyone for the info....Yall are the best. By the way beckybillrae your my hero when it comes to the belly pan, I read that thread and that was a great job.

Havent made it to making my templates yet...I had some bolts to remove that I missed last night due to the poor lighting. I had to remove some more flooring after noticing a darker place on the curb side like the one HiHoAgRV pointed out. I almost left it and chanced it but Im glad I didnt.
And like Ive read on here from another member "Spend the bucks and do it right the first time".

Question> I cut the bolts that go through the tubing frame at the rear, Any Ideas on how to reinstall them? I took the bumper off and thats a pretty far reach in there to hold them while you tighten them down. Im along way from that point but might be a something special I need to pick up later on. O yea and check out that factory patch job in the last pic.....
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Just found yet another hole in the floor of our 92. On the back curve curbside, poked my head in ( no snakes in cold! ) pulled up carpet, found it really wet from snow melt off roof, and found a hole I could put my fist through. The whole mess is thoroughly soaked. I don't know how, but water periodically drip, no, streams out from under back bumper where belly pan slightly sags.

So, JS, we'll be joining your ranks soon in the floor replacing ranks. Excella, thy name is rear floor rot!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
I admire your good spirit. I'd have the pen and paper out writing a profanity laced letter to the repair people.
I wouldn't resort to profanity. I would:
  • write the owner of the "repair" shop detailing the dangerously done repair (your shell could fly right off!) and demand a full refund - also ask him if he's ever heard of Youtube, or Airforums. Tell him he's about to be a STAR on the internet, baby.
  • locally we have a TV station that does "10 On Your Side" - I'd bet you have something similar, call them, this is the kind of stuff they love! (Dirty little secret - TV stations don't like to take on their big advertisers, but an RV repair shop isn't a potentially big spender.)
  • file a complaint with the BBB - semi-futile, but it could hurt the shop's sales
  • sue in small claims court to the limit there - it doesn't require a lawyer. If your losses are greater than the state limit, it's better to get HALF what you want without a lawyer than 100% with one. Information from this site alone could prove the case about how badly your work was done.
  • check every online site where you can do a review of a local business and do one - 100% truthful with photos to back up your claim
  • let the owner KNOW where you've done your online reviews
  • personally vist your shop's competitors and ask them what else you could do to get legal redress.
  • Depending on your state, look for consumer protection department
DON'T walk around muttering "God made big men and God made little men, and Smith & Wesson made them all alike."

Be CIVIL just not QUIET.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum! (don't let the bastards grind you down)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
  • write the owner of the "repair" shop detailing the dangerously done repair (your shell could fly right off!) and demand a full refund - also ask him if he's ever heard of Youtube, or Airforums. Tell him he's about to be a STAR on the internet, baby.
  • locally we have a TV station that does "10 On Your Side" - I'd bet you have something similar, call them, this is the kind of stuff they love! (Dirty little secret - TV stations don't like to take on their big advertisers, but an RV repair shop isn't a potentially big spender.)
  • file a complaint with the BBB - semi-futile, but it could hurt the shop's sales
  • sue in small claims court to the limit there - it doesn't require a lawyer. If your losses are greater than the state limit, it's better to get HALF what you want without a lawyer than 100% with one. Information from this site alone could prove the case about how badly your work was done.
  • check every online site where you can do a review of a local business and do one - 100% truthful with photos to back up your claim
  • personally vist your shop's competitors and ask them what else you could do to get legal redress.
DON'T walk around muttering "God made big men and God made little men, and Smith & Wesson made them all alike."

Be CIVIL just not QUIET.

and PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!
and maybe have another repair facility (maybe an AS service person) come out and take a look and get written documentation of his opinion/repairs needed.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hang In There

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Just found yet another hole in the floor of our 92. On the back curve curbside, poked my head in ( no snakes in cold! ) pulled up carpet, found it really wet from snow melt off roof, and found a hole I could put my fist through. The whole mess is thoroughly soaked. I don't know how, but water periodically drip, no, streams out from under back bumper where belly pan slightly sags.

So, JS, we'll be joining your ranks soon in the floor replacing ranks. Excella, thy name is rear floor rot!

Hi LawChick,

Ive been seeing that you have been finding suprises of your own in your Excella. Hang in there, it gets better. You have had a great outlook on your AS and her problems, just dont forget to take them one at a time.
Me and Mrs. S were looking yesterday at our talley of Lowes receipts, and I told her dont worry once its all fixed that will all be a thing of the past. You may have already, but take a look at Mr. HiHoAgRV's thread on "Lots of Floor Rot" Ive been following his repair guidelines with really good results. And not to mention Im not the best woodworker, Im more mechanical, but Ive been doing just fine. Even made Mrs. S proud.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Be CIVIL just not QUIET.

Wow....They should be really glad that they didnt work on your AS. I do plan to go and have a talk with the RV shop owner and give him the opportunity to make things right. I pretty sure what happen is that they men the he pays to do the job havent worked on a AS before and took the job anyway and the Owner of the shop failed to check the craftmenship of his workers. But that still dosent make it right. I have pictures to document the work and I will approach him with them. Hes was really nice and I look for him to make it right with me, the reason I havent already approached him is I wanted to cool down before I talked to him. Whats really bad is hes one of my best friends father in law. Thats how I found out about him. But again still no reason for poor craftmanship. But I dont want to cause a huge fallout. Sometimes as I tell Mrs. S, You got to make sure the lemon is worth the squeeze. Or simply pick and choose your battles. Thanks for your advice never know it may come to something like that, Ill let him make the choice.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Update

Ok so yester day I did accomplish a good bit up until about 3 pm then the jet lag really hit me hard and I had to abort my project and come inside for a nap. If youve never travel abroad you should try it once, the changing of time zones really messes your body clock up. Anyway I wont ramble anymore about that.

I got my templates made yesterday and got the road side section of flooring cut out and ready for installment. The curb side template is made but needs alittle more fine tuning. Then all Ill need is the POR-15 and I can put my flooring in. I used Mr. HiHoAgRV's method of making my templates and its a REALLY great way to do it. Very easy, and made for a great fit. Im so glad he posted that thread for others like myself to learn with.
Dont know if Ill get anything done today being Sunday, might have to though, looks like rain early in the week so I really need my POR to get here on Monday but I really dont look for it until Tuesday. Maybe with some luck Ill get it early Monday. You know Im really proud that Ive been able to do this myself, Ive even surpised Mrs S. Who Knew Huh! But Im along way from finished just yet so better not speak to soon. But I do thank everyone for there support and comments. Attached few more photos of yesterday, couple of them may look familiar to some. The last one is a pic of my war zone Mrs. S called it. Even run the battery down on my truck using the radio.... Good times...
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
keep up the good work J. once its all done as you said its a thing of the past an d you can enjoy your trailer. later this year i will probably join the floor rot club as i restore either a '63 sovereign or '58 custom. good luck!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Whats really bad is hes one of my best friends father in law.
oooh.......that's bad...! If there's anything I've learned in life, it's to try to avoid hiring family or people I know for work. I've had it happen so many times that I haven't been satisfied with something & would have said something to someone I didn't know, but had to sit tight with my mouth closed to keep the peace with friends/relatives/aquaintances (like having the entire roof done in the wrong color--friend asked me to come out & see how I liked it---AAH! wrong color--not terrible, but not what I wanted--oh well!) Good luck with that one. Like you said, you have to choose your battles & speak well thought out words!

Keep up the good work. Looks like you're getting to know every inch of your trailer!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
keep up the good work J. once its all done as you said its a thing of the past an d you can enjoy your trailer. later this year i will probably join the floor rot club as i restore either a '63 sovereign or '58 custom. good luck!!

Thanks bwoodtx! I need all the the support I can get. I didnt know if I was up for the floor rot club or not but so far it hasnt been that bad. AS are easier to work on than I thought....BUT Im not done yet..Dont wanna count my chickens before they hatch.

A 58 Custom huh? Sounds like the one Id go with. I hope one day to redo an old AS...Maybe a shell off restore....but thats way down the road I got to get Mrs S baby on the road first. Good luck to you too!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
oooh.......that's bad...! If there's anything I've learned in life, it's to try to avoid hiring family or people I know for work. I've had it happen so many times that I haven't been satisfied with something & would have said something to someone I didn't know, but had to sit tight with my mouth closed to keep the peace with friends/relatives/aquaintances (like having the entire roof done in the wrong color--friend asked me to come out & see how I liked it---AAH! wrong color--not terrible, but not what I wanted--oh well!) Good luck with that one. Like you said, you have to choose your battles & speak well thought out words!

Keep up the good work. Looks like you're getting to know every inch of your trailer!
Yea Ive learned a lesson for sure....No more friends of friends deals. But to be honest Im really enjoying doing it myself. Wished I would have just done it myself to start with. Like you said Im learning every inch of my trailer and creating a bond LOL...

Tags
1993 excella, floor