Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Valley Glen , California
Want to get my 1964 Safari ready for travel

Hi,

What a great forum this is!

I am looking for someone who can do some "systems" assessment and repair on the 1964 Airstream Safari I just got.
It seems mostly sound but I am no expert. I took my trailer to a restorer in Southern California, where I am but am not happy with the amount of money they seem to want to soak me for. Anyone know of some good sources in Southern Cal.? And good appliance buying sites or locations

Thanks,

Safari Bob
Safari Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
C & G Trailer just east of LAX
562 634 6286
Rod and Darlene
They come from a long family of AS repair
When I was purchasing my 62 Safari I talked for hours w Rod. He's a great source of info and will do anything on that AS

Mike
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hi Safari Bob, Welcome to the forums. I think you will like it here.

If you haven't already, you should talk to Uwe at area 61 Productions. If you are not prepared to do repairs yourself he is the best resource in the area. You will not find an inexpensive RV tech who knows old Airstreams, and Camping world will not understand some of the odd things on your Safari
Our Airstreams have some items that are particular to this year only, and they are 47 years old now. The original furnace is dangerous and should not be used at all. If the refrigerator works it will need service to get it operating well on propane. The oven and water heater have pilot lights that you will need to light and extinguish at each point along whatever route you take. My water heater was blowing flames from the controller. Even though the tank is like new inside, it's better to replace it with an automatic one. There are some electrical components that operate on 12vdc and some that operate on 19vac, like the bathroom vent fan and the water pump. Most new water pumps can't operate on 19vac, so it's best to switch it out for a 12vdc one if it hasn't already been done. If yours is original it will be a motor with a belt-driven pump. Modern replacements are a single-piece directdrive motor and pump combined.
You don't have a graywater tank. They didn't start until 1974, but you can have one added if you use someone who knows how to work on Airstreams.

You will find that a lot of folks here do a lot of their own repairs and renovations. If you are handy and have some tools you can do a lot of things with help from the experienced people here and save yourself a lot of cash. Otherwise it can get pretty expensive.

'64 Safari's are wonderful Airstreams. I would love to see some pictures of yours to compare with my own.

Cheers,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Valley Glen , California
My 1964 Safari

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your help and sorry for the loooooooong delay in responding. All of my pics would be "before" pictures at this point. Yours looks beautiful in your preview. I bought it in very good condition but am looking to update some of the appliances and polish the out side - pics to come

Best,

Safari Bob
Safari Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 safari, appliances, parts, repair, restoration