Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

another '64 safari history search....

Hi everyone,
I'm needing to check into the history of my safari, as I am ready to undertake a major restoration or remodel depending on what I can find out about it. any help would be appreciated.
My serial numbers are 041 S 3208 and under that it has 6404. From what I found on a thread started by ts8501 it appears to be a California made Landyacht, manufactured in April of 1964.
I also have the original owners manual with the names of the first owners; Earle and Nadine Barr of Santa Margarita, California. It also lists Boyer Trailer Sales as the seller.
There were WBCCI numbers on it at some time in the past, only the outline of the stickers remains; 12576, and there was a 5 to 6" round sticker just above the numbers.
I would think it may be easier to find info on the first owners than to try tracing the numbers from what I have heard about them. Does anyone have a list of WBCCI members from '64 or '65 that has the Barrs on it?
Another clue I just found as I was removing the side gaucho; three small 2" by 4" pieces of masonite with names on them that appear to have been made for use at a ralley, possibly to identify the owners of the trailer. The names are Joann Tower and Jenay Tower, and the third one appears to have the name Eric Tower, but it's so deteriorated I can't be sure of that one.
My reason for looking into all of this is that I am deciding now weather to keep the Safari in its original configuration or to make significant changes to the layout. I have a great respect for the history of these old beauties and I don't want to make a decision on this without trying to find out what I can first. The floor and cabinets are in need of complete replacement along with the furnace and maybe the waterheater. I have the ability to make the cabinets exactly as they were but they could be much improved if I had the freedom to alter it to my liking. If this is a historically important trailer I would be glad to restore it and enjoy it as such.
Can you help me?
Thanks for your time, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Hi,
I have a 1968 Directory and the Barr's are listed in it.There are no caravans listed by the Barr's names.Their number was 12576.There are a few listings with the last name of Tower but none that match the names you found.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Rich:

I will certainly be watching this thread with great interest. It appears our Safari's were made one month apart (6403 vs. 6404). I would also assume that based on the serial numbers, we are 32 units apart (041 S 3176 vs. 041 S 3208). I also wonder whether both of our original owners were new owners. The WBCCI numbers for the Barr's was #12576, and the numbers for the Hearn's was #11736, 840 numbers apart. I wonder if folks became members as part of their original purchase with the dealer, filling out the paperwork as part of their initial sale?? The Hearn's and the Barr's lived 230 miles apart from each other, so I also wonder whether they attended the same Rallies at any time. If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can forward a couple of e-mails that I have traded with CA based WBCCI folks, including some historical research ideas. There has been consolidation of original CA units in recent years, so the records have been moved from unit to unit, and in some cases, passed along to members. I am still hopeful to find someone with photographs or logs of CA based rallies, and now we have two WBCCI numbers to find. Streamer23 also confirmed for me the Hearn's as members in the '68 directory. I have yet to find anyone with a '64 or '65 directory. One would also assume that '65 would be the first year possible for either of our owners being listed, dependent of course on when (time of year) the directories were published. Best of luck on your search, and I will certainly pass along to you anything that I can or do find.

-Tim

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Thanks streamer23 and ts8501,
You say you haven't found anyone with a directory for '64 or '65. How about '66 & '67? I know there are a few people on here who have alot of historical information, such as peewee. I may PM him in regards to this.
Tim, I will send you a PM with my e-mail in a few minutes, after I check out your blog. Thanks for the help.
I took the Safari out over New Years, to Fernwood campgrounds at Big Sur. We had a great Maiden voyage. It tows great, and was very easy to find among all of the giant SOB's there I think we were the only ones there who were not in a white box. I'm SOOOO GLAD I DIDN'T SETTLE FOR ONE OF THOSE.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Rich.... I'm glad to hear your maiden voyage was a good one. I had always intended to research the trailer's history as well. keep us posted on your findings!!!
-Todd
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I will post what I find out about the trailer here, as time allows. I am working on a home remodel and the Safari at the same time, as well as full time work and a 70 minute commute. YEE HAW!
So far, there is nothing to suggest that this trailer went anywhere of any great significance, except the age of it. Still, I want to check before I alter it. I have had hallucinations of a large bed in the back, and a side bath.. I can't explain it I think I may have ALUMINITIS!
I will probably do a blog on the restore/ remod. I have been taking lots of pictures of each step of the disassembly process so I will have alot to share.
Tim, Thanks for the e-mail. I'll look into the blog set-up, and I would like to see about contacting the WBCCI also.
Have a great day, Rich
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

The original purchasers of my trailer were listed as WBCCI members from '65 to '71 or '72 in southern California. They apparently did not go on any caravans. Sometime in the mid to late seventies it was registered to someone named Tower, also in southern Cal. I can't find a first name to verify if they ever belonged to WBCCI, though there are some Towers listed around that time.
The next verified sighting was in the Portland, Oregon area sometime around the summer of 2005. That is where Toddster found it. It was not registered for some time in the interim per the oregon DMV, but it was licensed at some time in Oregon. It has the little metal placard from the state rv licensing people.
That's about it as far as documentation goes. From what I found when I pulled up the front half of the floor it appears that this one had a pretty easy life. The insulation was actually intact in some places and there appears to be just light surface rust on the frame, though I still have'nt gotten to the back yet. I found a few places where interior rivets were replaced but not much. There is only very minimal body damage and wear. I put a laser level inside it to check how well the structure is holding itself up and the floor is dead flat, no sag at all.
I think I have a former "driveway queen" here, or at least that's how it looks. Nothing of any historical significance has surfaced, so I intend to go ahead with a plan to remodel the inside. I have documented the existing condition and the layout with photos and cad drawings as I was expecting to do a restoration at the outset of this project. Now I will be doing a re-design instead, and hopefully some improvements to the systems like a grey water tank. I already have the interior removed with the exception of the bath and toilet and I have started to blog my experiences beginning with what lead me to Airstreams to begin with. I expect to progress to the disassembly and re-design/ rebuild over the next five months or so. Keep up with me if you can!
I will be offering some things up to forum members that I won't be using, in the near future.
Thanks for your time, here's a few pics to peak your interest with.
Rock And Roll,
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 279.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	75128   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 285.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	75129  

Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 297.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	75130   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 304.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	75131  

Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Rich,

When you're done, I'll will need you to come back and restore the Globetrotter as well .

I was always worried that if I tore it down as you have I might not get it back together. I am really enjoying watching your progress on this aluminum beauty. One final note, I put the teardrop side marker lights in the mail for you (save you a trip to Campbell). Keep us posted on your progress.

Happy Trails!!

-Todd
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Rich:

Great to see your progress and your blog. Your Safari is in much better interior shape than mine, and good for you! Nothing wrong with finding a driveway baby. You now have at least one blog follower, and I will be watching with a lot of interest!

Cheers,
-Tim

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My 1965 Directory says only up to number 12345 were is issued as of December 1964. Therefore, the 12576 must have been issued during 1965 or 1966 to someone. The Barrs you listed did not appear in the 1965 Directory.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

dwightdi, I got a message from PeeWee stating that they are in the '66 directory, number issued in early '65. They were gone by '73 though, and had no further information on them or the trailer. I'm a little confused, are there multiple directories?

Toddster, thanks a million! I'm also nervous about getting it back together, but now there's no turning back. Time is my big issue now. I'm way too busy to put the time into this that I would like to. Gotta be ready for Burningman though!

Tim, Thanks for the encouraging words. Otherwise there would be no blog. If you need documentation or photos to help with yours, just let me know. I have alot of pics of original equipment and details of construction available.

Skoal! Rich
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post

Tim, Thanks for the encouraging words. Otherwise there would be no blog. If you need documentation or photos to help with yours, just let me know. I have alot of pics of original equipment and details of construction available.

Skoal! Rich
Rich:

I would take every picture and detail that you have. Would an option be to burn a CD with all the details? If yes, PM me. I am looking so forward to winter being over, and getting started!

-Tim

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979