Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Advice on purchase on 1964 Safari

Hi Everyone
I am looking to import an Airtsream into NZ for mobile food project. I just wanted some thoughts on the following..

Ive been offered a 1964 Safari 22' , the version with mid door. It has a good , polished condition exterior, no dents or creases visible. Exterior looks pretty good. Interior is in average condit but will get gutted. The offer price is 11,500 usd. Does this seem like a reasonable price.

The vendor does buy, do up and sell Airstreams so there will be a bit or margin involved. The vendor has offered to do a few minor refurbishments to completely make good, paint bumper, tongue and even gut interior - for 14,000 usd.

What are people's view on this. If anyone would be willing to talk on the phone I'd be keen to talk to an expert .

My shipping costs into NZ are around 8500usd plus taxes on that so i am counting my pennies a bit!

Thanks for reading!

Sarah
Redraspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #2

mermaid waters , qld
Hi Sarah, I am looking at the same idea to bring in a bambi thought to Aus. Can I ask you who you got your shipping qoute through and from what port you would be sending in in the States?
Can88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
If you are going to gut a trailer and not use it for travel/camping then the 14,000 seams very high!!! It seams like you are going to put a lot of work into the trailer and there are many trailers out there of that vintage you could pick up for around $2,500... It will need a new floor (they all have floor rot), new axle (they all need new axles) and lower skin repair or replacement. All of that could cost up to 10,000 and then you would have a mostly trouble free trailer at the same price or less then you are trying to pay!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hi Sarah,

I totally agree with Todd, "vinstream". Having redone everything ground up on my 64 Safari.
Here's the deal. There will be rotted plywood sub-floor (which supports the shell) and rusted frame and outriggers (which supports the sub-floor) and sagging axles (which supports the frame) $$$ etc. quite the can of worms once you get started.
So be careful what you pay for a "Good Shell"... $2,500 to $7,500 depending on the true condition.

Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
If you are going to gut a trailer and not use it for travel/camping then the 14,000 seams very high!!! It seams like you are going to put a lot of work into the trailer and there are many trailers out there of that vintage you could pick up for around $2,500... It will need a new floor (they all have floor rot), new axle (they all need new axles) and lower skin repair or replacement. All of that could cost up to 10,000 and then you would have a mostly trouble free trailer at the same price or less then you are trying to pay!

Todd
I'm new around here, but I agree with Todd.
I, too, purchased an AS with the intent of using it for purposes other than camping (it will be my workshop). And in such, found a trailer with a yuck interior but excellent bones for cheap money. I couldn't part with that many thousands of $$ knowing I'd be getting rid of beautiful salvageable historical parts. It'll be so much cheaper if you get a 5 gallon bucket of elbow grease and a trailer with a poor/nonexistent interior, then you'll have more $$ left for renovations to make it what you want. Glad my Argosy was free, since it's looking like my two replacement windows are going to cost me $1500. I plan on selling any salvageable original interior parts to help finance my renovation in any small way I can, and so that someone with the tenacity for a 'restore to original' project might acheive their Airstream dream, too. There's my strategy, best of luck to you!!

-Meagan
TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 safari