Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Thumbs down Trailer broken into

Well this is a lesson I have learned that I will share with you all who have a newer Safari or Bambi with the window in the door.

Last Tuesday while I was at work the trim around the window in the door was removed and the glass was pryed out of the frame with a pair of scissors.

The glass was apparently removed very easily since it was left on the ground unbroken. The thief then simply reached inside the opening cut the screen door screen and unlocked the door. I got taken for about 800 dollars in damages and lost personal items, they even took my garbage can . So I will be installing an alarm system to protect the trailer. I swear I would love to install a device that when they break in, it would blow them and the trailer up

So this was a wake up call, Mid day, in my driveway. I have since beefed up the homeland security on the hacienda, now I need to protect my trailer.

FYI new window is only 79.80 from the local dealer. I will post photos of the repair when I get the new glass and frame this week.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
CC if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck.

Sorry to hear about it, but I am thankful that you posted how they did it.

Maybe a keyed lock on either end of the door deadbolt would help, but in all honesty, if someone really wants in, they are going to get in regardless of anything I do.

I would love to catch someone do it though.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Bummer man. Another meth head strikes again im sure.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That is a real downer! And to think that I used to leave my doors unlocked ans the keys in the ignition of the cars when I lived in Hood River full time......WOW!

I had a van broken in to the day after a very expensive stereo was installed. They used a prick punch to explode the driver's window, unlocked it and surgically removed the stereo components with no collateral damage. Needless to say I was enraged for many weeks to come. Now I carry 15% capsicum mace with me at all times and would not hesitate to use it at the slightest suspicion!!!! AT least you won't do time for macing a perp rather than putting a 9mm in their head!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
I swear I would love to install a device that when they break in, it would blow them

Ah yes, the ultimate ant-theft-existence device

Someone knew what they were doing & they knew when to do it, because your schedule.....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
Well this is a lesson I have learned that I will share with you all who have a newer Safari or Bambi with the window in the door.
It goes beyond the window in the door. I know a fellow whose 27' Safari was broken into. Same situation other than the attack coming on the door window, it was the front window to the right of the door that got jimmied.

One benefit of the riveted windows. If you want in you've got to break them.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I'm sorry to hear that you were broke into, on one possitive note at least they did'nt use a pry bar on the door. I no you cannot do this with your trailer but, I use to leave my door unlocked on my fish house in Minnesota and remove most of the valuables while it was unattended that way they would not destroy the house to get in. The valu of it was $ 8000.00 had fish house's next to mine broke into and destroyed. The ideots most of the time would get cought due to trying to sell what they stole to the wrong person on a lake some where. when a fish house is broke into word spreads awfull fast thru the fishing community and they normaly are cought.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Monty Python

Most people are terrified of snakes. Therefore a small sign in the window that says "Lost one of my snakes, her mate is pining. If you see her please call XXX-XXXX" Posted next to a picture of a snake snuggled on your couch will normally do a LOT to prevent break-ins. Of course if you've got a large shed snakeskin displayed in one of your windows that won't hurt either.

Just glad yours wasn't worse.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Sounds like they used the garbage can to haul away the booty! Sorry for the break-in. Let us know what knd of alarm you choose.

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Campcollector - Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have had good luck at some remote properties with simple battery powered motion detectors. Typically, you can set the range of motion and they emit a loud noise and/or turn on a light when someone gets too close. If you have power available, I also have used this system at my house:

http://tinyurl.com/prjb6

It is wireless and, if a zone is breached, it sets off an alarm, turns on lights. You can even program it to dial some phone numbers, and I believe it can integrate with their wireless cameras. It has worked well for me. Although they may cost more, I believe Radio Shack still sells these under their own brand name. It might be a good place to start if you had any questions.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Daytime Thefts

Our community had a series of daylight break-ins this past summer.
It seems some adults were using high school kids with local knowlege to do smash and grabs. One house was cleaned out on our street and two more break-ins. We share your feeling of violation and anger. Please be careful about what you say about retaliation, if a scumbag turns up rumpled, you could be a suspect. The police were reassuring after 60 break-ins of arrests.
Rob
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
I already got the radio shack unit for my house and it does work well.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Anythings up for grabs

Like others have said if they want in they get in. I will be smarter now, remove my stuff that I dont' want taken, like tv and small electronics. But even when they take low value items, if they take enough it adds up quick. I am still figuring out whats missing when I go looking for something and its gone. Also engrave your property and record the serial numbers .
I didn't and it would have helped the police track the stuff.

I hope the space heater they stole burns thier house down! it was kinda acting up lately so I wasn't using it .
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Sorry to hear about the break in. They'll get theirs eventually ! I hope the cops catch them soon.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote