Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mice...entry locations in my new 16CCD

So, I read the extensive posts regarding fall visits by the local mice population in our wonderful airstreams. I guess I never thought of this as a potential problem. I say potential because our 16 CCD has been in the driveway only a week. In 15 years of owning a VW camper I never had any insect, mouse, or other creature make our van a home (the van was rarely garaged and left un-driven for weeks or more at a time), so I guess I didn't think much about the AS.

So, my question to other newer Bambi owners... have you had any problems? If so, any entry points I should specifically check? I hate the thought of killing the mice after they've found their way in the trailer, not because I don't want to kill the mice, but my wife may not want to sleep in there again! We've never had one sin in our house (knock on wood!) and I want to prevent any in the Bambi.

Thanks for your input.

Jim
sdairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Its very unlikely that the mice will leave voluntarily. We have had numerous mice in our trailer, both when it was winterized (early fall) and even while camping. This last time we had at least 4 while at our camp spot (drove us nuts at night with the noise), the camp host said they were a real problem here in Colorado this year. Anyway, traps w/peanut butter is all we have found to rid ourselves. I would think your wife would rather they were dead and gone, than alive and multiplying in your NEW trailer. Just my thoughts.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Get a Ketch-All Multiple Catch Mouse Trap.

The design and performance of the Ketch-All Mouse Trap is made from galvanized steel and has earned it the title of "The World's Best Mousetrap." The Ketch-All operates without the use of harmful chemicals, making it safe to use around children and pets. It is efficient, often capturing several mice in one setting! The Ketch-All has been winning the war against rodents since 1924. It works 24 hours a day, every day of the year. By following simple operating procedures, your Ketch-All will provide years of proven, practical performance. This Trap is great for the home or business.

You can bait it with peanut butter, set it and come back the next day and you may have caught the entire trailer population. It is a live trap so you will have to take it out to dump it somewhere. I use a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4 the way with water to dump out my rodents, but if you don't want to kill them then you can just release them somewhere away from your dwelling.

It's also great to leave in the trailer even if you don't think you have a mouse in there. It will prove you wright or wrong, just check it every other day at least.

You can do a search for them or buy one at Ebay, they run around 20 bucks each.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

HiYa: Nope, no problems with varmints in out 2004 16 CCD. Hope I don't find any!
Old 10-31-2004, 02:28 AM   #5
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Smile Critters

I've not had a problem with mice as yet--never say "never". However, I've had some 4-legged critter (rabbits or armadillos--I think) chew up my fresh water tank drain valve. They actually chewed the knob and the drain tip to the point that I had to use a small vise grips to open & close it, until the time I could get around to replace it.

Some years ago, some critter chewed the edges of the treads of tires on utility trailer, totally ruining the tires.

All I can say is, keep a watchful eye on it.

Jim
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Never had much luck with that type trap myself.
But if you're interested, go here: http://www.kness.com/Ketch-All.html

Elizabeth in Iowa