Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Marker light gaskets

I have noticed a lot of continuous condensation inside my marker lights. Upon opening, I found a lot of corrosion on the bulbs and sockets and the mounting screws are all rusted. And this is on a 2004. The gaskets are dried and shrunken.

So I called JC to get the name of the vendor to see if I could contact them to request new gaskets, but JC said call a dealer and order all new lights. I think not. I don't need 11 new marker lights.

Has anyone had similar problem and found a solution? I googled for neoprene rubber gasket material, but all I found was distributor sites selling 50' rolls.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
MoJo, I'm not familiar with the lights on the newer TT. However on the classic MoHo they are not gasketed as they need to breathe. Each lens has a notch on the bottom with the old double bull type. This allows moisture to exit the bottom.
I did have to Vulkem the housings to keep water from entering the wire holes but that didn't have anything to do with the lenses. Good luck on your search, try a local hobby store for closed cell sheets.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Mojo,

Your lights are leaking thru the screws that hold them to the back plate, as well as the gasket. I had the same problem with my '06 CCD. You should replace the gaskets AND add an o-ring to the retaining screw. There is a fix for this; check the Classifieds for a kit that replaces the screws with stainless ones and o-rings.

I have some silicone sheet that makes great gasket material. PM me if you need some. Or, you might check at NAPA.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I have done all this, using new gaskets that AS supplied, o-rings, and SS screws. After doing this I have not found any improvement. I don't know what to tell you, as nothing I have tried has worked. Any new suggestions would be very welcome.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Mojo, this is sorta tongue-in-cheek, but here in Tucson we have what we call DRY heat....... We are not troubled with rust and condensation and my vehicles stay clean....except for some dust.

You would find our community (Oro Valley) pleasant for shopping and there are many transplants here.

I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce!

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
I had a lot of condensation in all 11 lights on my Safari 27FB. On half the lights I took off the colored lens and traced the pattern on a sheet of $1 foam from the Walmart craft department. Each light took about 30 seconds to cut with scissors and you can probably get 20 gaskets out of one sheet.

I then put the new foam gasket plus the original foam gasket and the o-rings and stainless steel washers on the screws and it seems to have made a huge difference.

After going through rain and a wash, the lights I had modified seemed to be much dryer than the "factory" lights. I don't know how long the foam sheet will last but it was nice and snug when I tightened it up. The foam sheet sure did not seem any thinner than the factory gasket.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote