Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopie View Post
My TT is parked at my business location on the parking lot which is lit. However, it was parallel to the building for easy access to plug in etc. This kept the door side hidden from passer bys. While the TT was at the dealers for repair we had a street light installed and parked it horizontally from the building, under said light, and it is now in full view of adjoining properties cameras and the road. We are hopeful that CSI will find these vandals on said camera, and with the fingerprints and dna collected.
If we were to do something that would hurt them, I fear worse retaliation. After they smashed our electric meter and cut all phone lines, thinking they disarmed our security, tried to open the building door, which set off a siren and sent them running. Police arrived promptly. This action should have all been on camera, which CSI took, and we were told it takes approx. 7 months for results from various labs.
Farmers Insurance was a dream to work with. Out of Doors Mart, N.C. made perfect repairs, even fixing an A/C leak at n/c. We missed a season, but fortunate they did not trash the whole trailer. Windows, curtains, hot water heater board, furnace access door and exhaust pipe, relaminated panels. Repairs complete and we just got it back. Just wary of bored kids looking for entertainment at my expense.
IMO if cameras showed them & csi stating 7mos. to react something is very wrong they should have taken action [arrest procedures] then when labs work finished formally charged. I would speak w/a good attorney how to proceed, again IMO as i'm only stating my feelings, but I had part time employee and his family steal several thousand $ hand tools, warrant out for there arrest.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have a deadbolt on our trailer that can only be locked from the outside (due to incorrect location when it was installed - another story). It can't be locked when we're in the trailer because we were unable to put the locking mechanism on the inside due to the screen door. In other words, if locked, smashing the window would not gain access to unlocking the deadbolt.
I'm seeing that as an advantage, in light of your situation. Might be something to consider. But, I think cameras are a much better deterrent. Electrifying the shell has certain, umm, qualities that appeal to me also, having gone through the theft of a vehicle in the past. Rage factor, and all that.
Probably moving it to a more secure storage would be the best idea.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Given the details of your storage situation ....

Either move it or put a fence around it. Then have the alarm company equip the fence with sensors.

Given how determined people seem to be to break into your business location, I would give the "move" option a bit of thought. You have a well above average break-in rate where you are.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I know that these posts that suggest harming an intruder by various means (electrocution, shotgun, bear trap) are all said in jest. They are all illegal and would end with arrest, law suit or both. You can take steps to secure your property but you cannot have unattended devices to harm someone because they could harm an innocent person.

Cameras are probably the best deterrent. If they ignore the cameras then you have their pictures. I have an inexpensive home system I got from Amazon. It came with 4 SD cameras and can run on 12 VDC. I use this as part of my home security system but it could be placed inside an AS, with perhaps a solar panel to keep the battery charged. It can be networked if it can pick up a WIFI signal from your store or nearby store. Then you can watch it remotely from anywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used this and a previous system (Zmodo) since January 2013 in my home and the only problem I've had is the ZOSI came without a hard drive. I installed my own and the DVR has a problem with it. I'm working with the vendor to resolve the issue. Otherwise, it's been very dependable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-6-2019 11-33-09 AM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	351441  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Asheboro , North Carolina
These incidents have been 2 yeas apart and may very well have been the same perps.
shopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopie View Post
These incidents have been 2 yeas apart and may very well have been the same perps.
Hi

Again, that's way above average for this sort of thing. If the locals have decided a fun Saturday night outing is breaking into your trailer *and* the cops aren't out to stop it ( we'll see 7 months later is *not* an active response ) .... store elsewhere.

At some point your insurance company will get a bit "excited" by all this. When that happens, they *may* make a note of why. If they do, your ability to get insurance on the trailer from anybody could be problematic. I have data on that ... no fun at all.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Carmel , Indiana
Not sure where it is parked but how about installing a simple alarm system on the window or door? Harbor Freight sells these inexpensive alarms that can be places on the window or door an when opened, an alarm would sound. Won't stop the damage to window but could at least draw attention. Another silly option would be having a couple of pit bulls stay there at night. Just make sure they have food, water and get a walked! Best option as previously stated is move!
mapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
Search on Amazon or elsewhere for Ballistic Window Film. You would still have to replace the window glass but they won't be able to breach it and reach the inside handle. I'd also really be looking at alarm systems like the Ring.
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #29
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I’m so sorry you’re having a deal with all this. We’ve all worked hard to be in a position to own our TT and to see it destroyed out of shear meanness is heartbreaking. I know a lot of the comments were said in jest but from the information given I’d say your only option is to move the AS to another location that is significantly more secure.
Even if/when the security cameras positively identify the people or person involved and they get arrested and it goes to court and they get convicted they probably will get off with minimal punishment (especially if they are under 18) and now they’ll know it was your system that ID them and things escalate.
I know having to move your AS to another location will not be as convenient for you and you’ll have extra money to pay for off-sight storage but your current location is obviously not safe. I hope you are able to find a new place for your AS that isn’t too inconvenient.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
A paid, secure storage facility isn't always the answer.
I have a cargo trailer that was broken into while parked in the drive. After that experience I moved it to a "secure" storage facility with electronic gate access and camera monitors.
A couple of weeks after moving it there I got a call from their management that they "thought" someone may have tried to get into my cargo trailer. I drove to the facility and the morons had actually cut off the bars at the back of the cargo trailer that secured the drop down door. I had pancake locks on all the lock locations and they couldn't use bolt cutters to cut them off so they went the next step and cut the arms! I was especially po'ed because the storage management took NO responsibility for the break-in. (It had to be someone who had a storage unit because you needed an access code to enter the facility.) Management also didn't bother to review security footage to see if they could find the perpetrator and the local police wouldn't even bother to come out to investigate.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Only solution is a locked enclosed storage area with security.

My first year I was able to find an inside storage facility. They cost in my area wasn't too bad for the winter ($500). I suppose if you have to do it year round easily much more.

What does your insurance do for you?

Does make that pole barn I spent 25,000 on worth it though in some way.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
razor blades and barb wire on the inside door handle. Ouch!!!

Shotgun with a string tied to door handle.

Crossbow and . . . . Oh never mind.

is how you get arrested for mansaulghter.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #33
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I've used this and a previous system (Zmodo) since January 2013 in my home and the only problem I've had is the ZOSI came without a hard drive. I installed my own and the DVR has a problem with it. I'm working with the vendor to resolve the issue. Otherwise, it's been very dependable.
Quick not to rich... I had a similar HD problem and the issue was the USB port couldn't power the HD. I added a powered USB splitter and problem solved. Just thought I would throw that out there. I apologize for the short hijack.
WW
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
Quick not to rich... I had a similar HD problem and the issue was the USB port couldn't power the HD. I added a powered USB splitter and problem solved. Just thought I would throw that out there. I apologize for the short hijack.
WW
I've done something similar. The ZOSI DVR has a circuit board with connectors for the HD data and power cables. I kept the data cable connected and use a device for connecting to hard drives (any) that has its own power supply.(It has multiple device connections for ATA, SATA or laptop drives. Lets you plug into a computer's USB and access the drive.)

This works, no failures, but I'm trying to get ZOSI to either give me a replacement or a new circuit board. So far, just a lot of back and forth.
(The one I got is no longer available but there are others. If you get rid of a computer but the hard drive is still good, this device lets you create backups or otherwise access the drive(s).)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote