Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2002, 08:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Safari and Equal-i-zer Hitch

I'm just days away from picking up my new 2003 Safari... I have purchased an Equal-i-zer brand hitch and have a problem. The brackets to attach the sway bars to the trailer's A-frame go all the way around the frame rails. See http://www.equalizerhitch.com/home.html However, the Safari has the battery tray on the A-Frame blocking the way. Has anyone used an Equal-i-zer with a recent Safari? How did you mount the sway bar brackets?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Possibly

You may have to get the brackets modified and welded or bolted on.

I almost had that problem wih mu International. Fortunately, the only possible place to mount a bracket normally was right in line with where it needed to be.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Anyone know if the battery tray is bolted or welded to the A-frame? If bolted could I make room with longer bolts and spacers? If welded could I cut a notch in the tray for the bracket to pass through?

The distance from the center of the ball socket to the bracket for the sway bar can be anywhere from 29 - 32". If anyone has access to their newer Safari I would greatly appreciate it if you could measure this distance and let me know what I will run into. I would do this myself, but I'm in MN and the trailer is in FL!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:41 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I see what you are up against. Unfortunately you are dealing with the whims of the designers from both sides. Personally I'm not sure what you can do. Those of us with the Reese dual-cam sway controls and Safari's have the problem in reverse. We have to deal with the gas bottle tray which is in way of mounting a couple of important brackets. In my case we were able to do the mounting even though we had to drill through the bottle tray.

Maybe you have exchange privledges?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:01 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Welded

My International battery tray and gas bottle tray are welded to the A-frame. I suspect this is SOP with Airstream.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 05:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to dpope
dmac,

I also have the 2003 Safari and use the Equalizer Brand hitch. I did not have any problems installing the brackets. Here are some pics of the brackets installed:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Hope this helps,
dpope
dpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Thank you! I understand that on earlier models the battery box blocks access to the back side of the A-frame rail. Apparently they have changed the design - looks like an easy installation! Has the Equal-i-zer worked okay for you?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to dpope
Thumbs up

So far so good. It's fairly easy to adjust. Since I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram 4x4 which has a fairly beefy suspension, I've adjusted the hitch so that it doesn't so much weight distribution. This was done by removing all but 3 washers on the ball mount. With all the washers, the hitch provided too much weight distribution resulting in stiff ride. Anyway, it now rides like I want it to.

Thanks,
dpope
dpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Wink Sfari and Equalizer

I have that setup on my '99 25' Safari. I think the book called for 32" but because of the battery, they moved the brackets up towards the hitch. I measured mine and they are 24" to the ball. I pull it with a '02 Chevy 2500 and it pulls like a dream. I have never had a white knuckle moment. Passing or meeting trucks do not push or pull the trailer. The only time I have ever felt any movement was when running with a RR track parrell to me and the wind was very strong directly perpendicular to me. I could then feel the buffetting between cars. I had always said that I would only have a Hensley, but as of now, I feel I have no reason to dish out the big $.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote