Old 04-12-2002, 03:25 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hi

Hi folks! My Safari is my first Airstream. I ordered it in March 2001 and it arrived at the end of April 2001. I ordered one built rather than take the unit on the lot since I requested some extras that were not on the Safari option list in 2001. My extras were two Fantastic Fans, a power hitch jack, and a spare tire mount.

If you own a 2001 Safari be aware that in 2002 Airstream changed to a better stabilizer jack. In fact they now use the same style as those found on the Classic line. You can retrofit those to your trailer if you wish. I did mine last year while up in Jackson Center.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Jack, I'm glad to see you are enjoying your Safari. I also own a 2001. I ordered it in October 2000, it was built in November and delivered in December. I have put almost 12,000 miles on it through 11 states. I am practicing for retirement (5-7 years).
Does yours have a slide-out pantry? If so read the story I posted on the Interior Restoration forum (cabinets & counter tops).
Jerry Sullivan
2001 Safari 25'
2000 Silverado

gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:28 PM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Slide out pantry

Jerry,
I didn't see that post. I'll go back and check it out. Was the issue important enough to post here, just in case other Safari owners like me didn't see it.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Jack, let me know if you think it is important after reading it. I am not sure how many models have this slide-out pantry. Does your 27' have it??
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:19 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Slide Out Pantry

Jerry,
For those who haven't seen the post, here is the link to it.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=508

From what I am reading you do have the same pantry as I do. Mine is on the street side of the trailer on the right of a cabinet that is to the right of the refrigerator. The Safari has a push button handle that when pushed in locks the drawer/door. Pushed a second time it pops out and the button acts as a pull.

I have twin beds in the rear and a drawer cabinet between the two. On our first big trip out the drawer slid out and fell to the floor bending the rails. Thankfully I was stopping at Jackson Center anyway so I picked up replacement rails. The problem on my end was the bed cover had slightly been pulled into the drawer sides, unnoticed by me. I had the button pushed in and locked but the latch did not engage the strike plate.

My thoughts on your end is more or less either the latch/lock assembly or striker plate which is not adjusted correctly. You might want to see if you can slide either assembly to better engage. You are still under warranty so you should be able to get this problem corrected.....assuming you have a dealer within reasonable drive. The problem could also be that the lock assembly is defective and not extending properly when in the locked position.

Since every drawer and door assembly uses the same lock assembly, I bought a spare when at Jackson Center. I figured if a spring broke out on the road, duct tape would be the only solution in keeping things closed. The spare lock gives me peace of mind and a quick fix without the mess of tape.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56

« Hooks | Top | Jack Resync »