Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Thanks all for the explanation, NOW I get it. If only my Argosy had room for two 6 volt batteries. Brian
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #22

2001 27' Safari
San Luis Obispo , California
Thank you all for your comments and questions, I guess I did need to clarify a couple points:
First it does have solar, I am not sure of the ouput so I will be checking this, but I do have digital gauges that show it charging, generally keeps battery between 13-15 depending on position and how it sits. This does charge the battery all day. For day and evening use I also carry a Honda 3000 Generator with me, that I can generally run until generator hours end, at 8pm or 10pm, so I know I have a full charge going into the night. By morning the single 12v battery is dead, from running the heater. This has happend twice in the 4 years I have owned the trailer, replacing the single 12v every 2 years. In the morning I can plug in the generator again, so I don't need to go days on end, just trying to make it though the night.
And yes, to another question, I wouldn't be adding a battery to existing, I would go with 2 new batteries, run in series or parrell depending on best application.

Returning to my question about 6v vs 12v, this is what I have found..

Over the course of the last couple days, I have done some research on my own, and found the following equation, which I believe I also saw in on thread reply.
The numbers can vary slightly depending on which battery you choose..

1 6v Trojan T105 has 225 ah x 2
run in series - 12v @ 225 ah
run in parrell - 6v @ 450 ah

1 12v Interstate deep cycle - 100 ah x 2
run in series - 24v @ 100 ah
run in parrell - 12v @ 200 ah

The 6v run in series, would then prove just as good if not better than 12v. Unless anyone can prove otherwise, I think I answered my own question, and just wanted to share for others following this thread or others experiencing the same issue.
Thank you,
Rob
Rob Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #23

2001 27' Safari
San Luis Obispo , California
Thank you Idroba, and others, I saw the last few posts after I posted mine, and seems very consistent to what I found as well. Thanks again!
Rob Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v