Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
New couch for my '99 safari

Hello I have a 25 ft 99 safari. The original couch that folds out into a bed is very uncomfortable. I mean I apologize when I tell someone they have to sleep on it.I have noticed that one person on the forum had replaced the existing couch with a Lazy-Boy loveseat. I was wondering could I get a full sized Lazy-Boy couch with reclining ends(seats)in thru door and would it fit alright.I thought I could get at least one comfortable bed and two nice recliners this way.Plus Lazy Boy recliner couchs are fairly reasonable in price and have a life time warranty.If you have had any experiences with replacing safari couches particularly with Lazy Boy let me know. Plus do people really want to buy the old uncomfortable couches for restorations?? ThanKs Jim Anderson Port Huron MI.
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi jim

look very closely at the WEIGHT of any non rv sofa replacement.

your 25 has limited carry capacity as is, and the lzboy will cut into that, especially with the built in recliners.

a/s seems to have better/softer/thicker padding on the newer sofas, especially those covered in fake leather...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/210682-post16.html

mine is very comfortable for sleeping or sitting, and WILL fit through the door.

occasionally the a/s factory has a sofa unit for SALE at the store/service center too.

also the flex steel units are comfy, but like shoes, ya gotta try 'em on to know...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
mi silver: I was just thinking the same thing...wanting to put a sofa with recliners built into each end in my 67 Overlander. The weight thing mentioned by 2airishuman is something to definitely consider though.
Maybe someone has done this before with a nonrv sofa with the built in recliners or maybe you and I will be the first and suffer the consequences.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
2air, is your sofa oem? just curious. i need one pretty bad (i.e. don't have a sofa). i'm looking at a neat ikea one and just don't know if it'll fit right...it measures fine, but i don't know if it'll cut the mustard.
dannyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo
2air, is your sofa oem? just curious...
yes, dannyo.

the models they are using in ultra leather in the current classics REALLY do seem to be thicker,

and sit/sleep much better than just a few years ago, or than compared to the normal cloth covered versions...

and they are WAY better than the 70s sofa beds, i had one of those too in my 79.

besides the pic i posted look at any of the dealer photos with these sofas...

it's one of the few interior pieces a/s is getting right. of course they don't make the sofas..

so you COULD get the vendor/supplier info from a/s and probably order one direct. i've forgotten who makes the sofa.

it's light, has storage underneath and room for the converter/univolt.

when converted to a bed, there is NO middle lump/divot.

i really like the glider, swivel, recliner chair too. it's an 'avant-glide' chair i think...

and also in the photos posted.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Is it Villa? Villa International Products

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
i think that's right carol for the sofa,

at least the tag i'm seeing up there in 'me brain has villa on it...

or maybe that vanilla ice cream i'm seeing...

good find!

2air'

Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Thanks 2air and Wheel. The couch is $1500! I will say this, they look pretty sweet.
dannyo is offline   Reply With Quote