Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Question External Antenae Connection

My 25' Safari('99) has a TV and Phone outlet in the rear bumper
storage compartment. Is this where I would connect a small satellite
dish cable? Would it then feed all of the interior outlets? Thanks
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I will assume your '99 is wired the same as my '01. The coax goes from the rear bumper to an outlet in the living room where it is terminated on a circuit board behind the face plate. This board contains the antenna booster as well as the coax to the rear bedroom. I installed an additional connector on the face plate and moved the coax from the rear bumper to it. This is the connection I use for satellite tv. When I use the antenna I connect the tv back to the original connector.
Hope this helps
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Not sure if the Safaris are different, but the cable from the rear of my trailer goes to a plate in the credenza. The plate has two coax connectors and a short loop of cable between them. Then it goes up to the plate with the amplifier and cigarette lighter.

You insert the satellite reciever connections at the plate in the credenza. When the Winegard TV amplifier is on, it's getting the signal from the batwing antenna. When the amplifer is off, it takes the signal from the sat receiver hooked to the connections in the credenza.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Connecting at that outside point directly from your dish will bring the signal into the trailer. You will then need to connect a satellite receiver to the inside connection and connect your TV to the satellite receiver.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The standard Winguard wall plate is a pass thru for the external connection when the booster is off. If the booster is on it will feed the amplified signal from the antenna, and no signal from the outside connection.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their help. What a great Forum. Now, if I can just get one of you to find my roof leak....
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 AM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Satellite hookup update

I've been taken to task by someone who repairs A/S for a living, who is telling me that the amplifier will filter out the voltage necessary from the satellite receiver to LNB on the satellite dish.

Personally I felt that if the antenna amp is turned off the voltage would pass through. I guess the only way to prove this out will be to hook the satellite receiver to the connecter on the antenna outlet inside the trailer, make sure the antenna amplifier is turned off, turn on the satellite receiver and measure if there is voltage present at the outlet in your Safari bumper storage area.

I would do this myself but my Safari is in inside winter storage about 50 miles out of town until March. I'll be working the WBCCI table at the local RV show next weekend and I'll see if I can get some definitive answers from our dealer's folks.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Jack, I wouldn't do that. I believe the voltage that powers the LNBs is higher than that which feeds the amp in the batwing. Might toast it.

See page 3 of the Winegard external dish manual

http://www.winegard.com/images/pdf/2451148.pdf

which shows how to hook a satellite receiver into the cable input of their receptacle for the batwing antenna.

In my '01, Airstream has already done this. The cable from the rear of the trailer comes forward to a plate that is hidden in the
rear of the credenza. That plate has two coax connectors. One is the cable from the rear of the trailer, and one goes up the wall to the center connection on the batwing plate.

Airstream ships the trailer with a short coax cable jumper between these two connections in the credenza, so the connector at the rear of the coach can be used for cable TV.

To insert a satellite receiver, you remove the jumper and connect the Sat In input on the sat receiver to one of the two connectors in the credenza, and the TV Out output on the sat receiver to the other of the two connectors in the credenza. It is possible to get them connected backwards, and I forget which is which.

Once it is hooked up correctly, when the amp switch on the batwing plate is out (OFF) the TV out from the sat receiver will be fed to both the coax connector on the batwing plate, and the
coax connector in the bedroom. When the amp switch on the batwing plate is in (ON) both its connector and the bedroom connector will get the signal from the over-the-air batwing antenna.

Hope this helps.
--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446
Old 01-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Maurice,

The Safari doesn't have the cableing set up like you speak about. I think at this point I'll talk to the dealer's service guys on Saturday at the RV show. We will figure this out since I was planning to start carrying a satellite receiver and dish this coming travel season.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-12-2003, 10:02 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wiring

My International has just the setup Maurice has described. Only difference is that my plate with the cable jumper is right out in the open, above the refrigerator.

I find it odd that they would have done something different on the Safari of the same year as Maurice's.

I haven't actually tried it with a satelite, but that's how my manual reads, also.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote