Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2002, 03:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Exclamation Awning Heads Up!!!

Late 1998 Safari's, including my 25C, built as 1999 model year units used a unique A&E awning with the arms attached at the bottom of the coach on the trim piece. The bracket that attaches the main awning support arm, called the foot support, is not strong and prone to distort and break in a moderate to heavy rain or other stress. These were made especially for Airstream for only 3 months. My supports ripped clean off of the coach in a very light rain with no water pooling on the awning while 1200 miles from home.

IMPORTANTLY, these brackets are no longer made by A&E and not stocked by Airstream. There are none generally known in the US. Presently, I am working with A&E for a replacement awning. I will post the results of my negotiations with them when done.
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Several awning manufacturers want into the Airstream business.
When they don't fit correctly, then they say that Airstream put the awning rail in the wrong place. When parts deform or break, they say it's Airstreams fault.
The best way to avoid the issue is to use the awning that is top of the line, just like your Airstream.
Buying a Zip Dee costs more, but alas, no problems.
However, things being the way they are, should a problem occur, Zip Dee will resolve it pronto, as they always have, for over 30 years.
They are also the only company that has arms that properly fit the 82 and prior trailers.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.co
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Agree

Hi Andy,
I agree with your ZipDee statement. My trailer has a A&E awning. It is ill fitting and I had to repair it 3 times since the end of May, when we got teh trailer. Fortunately, it has not done any damage to the Airstream, but I am very cautious with it. The arms fit so-so, the support rafters look weird witht eh awning up, and the whole thing seems like an afterthought, instead of a well engineered device. I am planning to do some other things to the trailer first, but the Zip Dee is definitely on the list for the future.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:28 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I agree with Andy-ZipDee is the best. I ordered a solar screen and a screened-in room to attach to my awning and the fit is perfect. The installation instructions were complete and easy to follow and all the parts were there. It's hard to find this level of quality in products today.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Uwe. Be thankful that you don't own a Carefree. It fits worse than yours. Several owners are stuck with them. After they purchased the Carefree, installed it, and then found out it looked like the devil, because of ill fitting, they would not and will not take it back. They are the one's that still say Airstream installs the awning rail in the wrong place.
WOW. So how come a Zip Dee fits so well??????
Hmmmmm.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Also everyone that has a Carefree knows that the support arms slip out of the tracks on a regular basis, as their design is not too swift. Mine always come out and I have to hold them in, or rescrew the tiny allen set screw that is all tere is to hold the arms in the rails. We carry a couple of allen wrenches for this reason alone.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
A&E

I had problems with the A&E, all caused by design flaws. The torsion on the left side wouold only hold after re-gluing the spring to the plastig 2 or 3 times with epoxy, because the tension wants to unthread the spring from the retainer.
The bottom bracket bends easily, because it is underdimensioned. I got new ones from AZ rv salvage for little bucks, but still, it's one nuisance after another.Half the time i don't even put it up, even though right now it seems to work ok. Oh, and you need a stepladder to effectively tension the thing, or be 7 feet tall....which i am not. The instructions to put it up are 300 pages, i think.
Just kidding. 4 pages.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
It is good to know that once my A&E awning breaks, I'm fixing it with a roll of duct tape! All kidding aside, please let me know if A&E does make some extra sets of the brackets. My '99 Safari 25A lower brackets have begun to buckle in the middle. I assume it will only be a short while until they crack through. This awning has always been the worst part of a great weekend of camping. When it is time to go, I begin to roll up the awning while my wife pushes on the brace slightly aft to get it to fit between the top brackets. Usually after 2 or 3 tries we get it lined up correctly. A few weeks ago I had to do it alone, however it is virtually impossible as a solo act. I’m sure the folks next to me were laughing as I stood on a chair, using a leg from my fire barbeque teepee to push on the brace while letting the awing roll. If A&E doesn’t come through, I’ll check with a friend of mine who owns a machine shop to see if he can make up a few brackets.

Rick
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:55 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Hi Rick,

I think for a newer awning, you can get parts easily from a Dometic dealer, like Marks RV.

http://www.marksrv.com/8500parts.htm

They have most of the parts available.
Camping world also has A&E awning parts available, some on special order, some in stock.
I can identify with your awning frustration.
I hope the link helps.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Rick, Start talking to your machine shop friend for the replacement to the lower bracket( officially "foot support"), there are none available from Dometic or Airstream. They were special order for Airstream only and Dometic stopped making them in Jan/February of 1999. Neither company was able to locate any in a brief search of their dealer networks nationwide.

I thought I was alone in the alignment issue. I had to perform the same gymnastics to get my awning rolled up as well. Always with the arm rail in front having to be pushed aft to get it properly seated.

Importantly, if your bottom foot support bracket is already deforming, as mine was, it is only a short matter of time. I was 1500 miles from home and had to figure out how to get the rig home with parts dangling all over the place.

Lastly, the other issue that you will likely face, like I did, is that the entire roller tube will bend in half like a straw if the bottom brackets let go. Try that for a mental picture, severely bent 16 1/2' roller tube. no support arm attachments and yards of canvas hanging on the side of your RV. The wife was reduced to tears.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:43 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Rick,
I did get lower awning to body mountng brackets from Arizona RV Salvage. They knew immediately what I need and sold me good as new ones for $10.00 each. I called Camping world's obsolete parts dept, and they had a solution for about $ 75.00 a side, which included new bottom rail ends and rail to body brackets. My trailer is much older than yours, though. For a while, I used the awning n the "carport" mode, because of the lousy old brackets not holding the awning up satisfactory. Yes, it's a piece of dung awning, but with that in mind, you can still enjoy camping and shade by just being extra careful when setting up and taking down.
Whenever my so called awning rolls up to the wrong side, so that it is difficult to engage the arms in the up position, then I pull it back out and move the strap to the side that was difficult to roll up before.Then let it roll up again with the strap off center. Don't go too far off center, because pulling the awning out with the strap too far off center distorts the awning frame. This seems to help some.
I found out that re-tensioning the torsion rails makes the awning roll up relatively straight. If one side has fewer turns than the other, then it wil roll up wrong, and move the entire shaky skeleton to one side. Mine is going to the front, but lately only 1/8 inch. The Zip-Dee awnings are not perfect either, by the way. The ones I tried before buying this trailer took as much time and effort to put up, but the biggest difference was that hey worked soooo much easier and better.And they fit much better when retracted.
I spent a lot of time on the darn thing. Shoulda took the time and made money to buy a Zip Dee.....
Hey but at least I got stories for you guys.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
here is a qustion related to the awnings. On my motorhome the refrigerator roof vent is just behind the awning. This thing gets tons of crap like piine straw, leaves etc. in it. My question is anyone screen the entry to this vent?
To clean it I have to unroll the awning, and either climb up on the roof, or use a my giant brush. Never seems to be really free of debris.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:07 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Alan,
mine does the very same thing. There is a screen inside mine, and most of the debris falls out when I unroll the awning, but occasionally I use a shop vac to suck out the garbage. I think a second screen might be a good idea, but it is also another thing to get plugged up while you're not watching.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
I’ll try my buddy with the machine shop next. Good advice on the Arizona RV Salvage, but I’m sure the life of the replacement is limited as well. My friend always over engineers things, so the next big wind probably will roll my trailer on its side, but the brackets will hold. I’ll leave a post once they are done.

Rick
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 04:54 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Went out this weekend with the Airstream. The freaking awning worked PERFECT for the first time. Go figure.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:37 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Look at your Karma rating, you're hot! You have a positive aura surrounding you bring good to everything in your world.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
What a nice thing to say! Thank you very much.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Final word. A&E has shipped all new hardware and a replacement rolller tube at no charge. Absolutely great to work with, no questions asked, just how can we take care of the problem and keep you satisfied. Really exceptional service.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:22 PM   #19

Unhappy new awning and worried

Hi guys,
This is my first post so I hope I get it right. I have been restoring a 70 Sovereign for 3 years now and I am almost ready for my first outing. I just had a Fiesta (sp) installed complete w/ all new hardware and arms. I have'nt taken delivery from the the RV dealer and have never deployed an awning.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Fiesta brand? Should I expect awning woes. These posts have me worried.
sidowhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:40 AM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
sidowhite,

these posts are not meant to worry you, but merely inform and help. You already made a purchase, and chances are that the awning will give you lots of good times in the shade. I am unfamiliar with the brand you chose, but take a good look and let the dealer explain EXACTLY how it works, and the sequence of putting it in or out. Often the awning troubles are caused by misuse, I guess.
I learned to live with mine, even though it's not perfect. But mine is very old so I can't expect miracles. I put it in if it gets too windy, and I will not leave it out if the trailer must be left for a day or more unattended. I have not seen rain since I bought the trailer, so that's not an issue.
I find the biggest problems being the locking part that secures the awning while you travel, and the feet where they attach to the lower body of the trailer.
Let us know how your new awning works out for you. maybe you can post some pictures of your restored trailer on the airstreamphoto site. I'd love to see it.