Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
deland , Florida
Thumbs up well... I BOUGHT IT!!!!

so i made my decision today and called the guy back up. told him that i would take the trailer. he seems like a very very nice guy and promised to hold it to sat so i can pick it up. here are some pics the owner sent me so i can show them to you. the only damage is a outie rectangle on the road side but it looks real bad in the pics, in real life it isnt that bad so thats a good thing. the tires are a little dry rotted and im gona re-grease the beerings b4 the 130 mile trip home this sat. $1500 out the door tell me what you guys think

here is a link to my photobucket to see the pics

airstream pictures by 386kustoms - Photobucket

i just hope the frame isnt to shot.... i guess we will see here in the next few weeks
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
You got a great buy! Is it a Safari?

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wow

Looks like a GOOD deal to me. What year is it again?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
Sweet! Good luck with it.
WRDinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Cute, it looks like a great project! I had a friend who said those were his favorite Safari's because there's room to put a full size bed in the front and still have room for a dinette on the side.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Nice! If you get to keep the stuff inside, selling the bikes and outboard will get you quite a bit of your investment back.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

deland , Florida
its a 66 safari model that has the dinette off to the right when you walk in. we are going to do some custom work on the inside. when we camp it will always be either at a park w bathrooms or a walmart parking lot on a trip somewhere so we are going to pull the bathroom out. its a shame to cause the bathroom is in great shape. we are going to keep the dinette and the stove and fridge and sink in the orig spot. pull the couch out of the middle and put a drresser there instead. then in the back we plan on making a custom L shaped couch that will fold out into a bed. of course the closets are goign to have to go as well. anyway thats the plan we will see if it makes it all that way plus maybe i can sell the bathroom parts and hot water heater and make some of the cash to do the plans. first things first though, drop the belly and fix any rust on the frame
Old 01-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Personally, I am a big fan of the late 60's bathrooms, they're pretty much the nicest they ever put in a trailer, and I think a bathroom is a really nice thing to have. That's one thing I would leave intact!

Lots of customized trailers on here though. Get the foundation solid and I'm sure you'll have lots of time to look around for ideas of what to do in the interior. Be sure to try and plan your interior to evenly distribute the weight on the right and left side, and I think more should go towards the front than the back. I'm sure others will pipe up as you go along. I just know weight distribution within the trailer is important for steady towing.

Congrats! That's going to be fun to see it progress

Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
1975 31' Excella 500
Bladensburg , Ohio
Congrats!

It looks really nice.
61Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I like it a LOT! GREAT deal from the pics.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Looks great! What a find. Congrats!
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Nice condition!

I learned a couple of things quickly. Before you take her down the road,Tape down the rear battery door, they have a habit of falling off-never secured well. Invest in a great boombox and an extension cord! It kept me going through the long haul. Looks like alot of fun to be had. Congratulations,
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am glad you got it. It is a great find and I love our 66 TW.

I would think long and hard about removing the bathroom. First off, you will really hurt the value of the trailer. Secondly, you think now that you always will be camping at places with a bathroom. However, some of the best camping places don't have bathrooms- boondocking in national parks, national forests, bluegrass festivals, etc. Plus there is something about being independant with your AS providing all the comforts of home that I really like. Anyhow, think about it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Personally, I am a big fan of the late 60's bathrooms, they're pretty much the nicest they ever put in a trailer, and I think a bathroom is a really nice thing to have. That's one thing I would leave intact!

Lots of customized trailers on here though. Get the foundation solid and I'm sure you'll have lots of time to look around for ideas of what to do in the interior. Be sure to try and plan your interior to evenly distribute the weight on the right and left side, and I think more should go towards the front than the back. I'm sure others will pipe up as you go along. I just know weight distribution within the trailer is important for steady towing.

Congrats! That's going to be fun to see it progress
Must say I agree about the bathroom. It's 2:00 am and you've had a few adult beverages... the camp shower house is four rows down and it's chilly & raining... trust me, you'll like the bathroom! And here's another "real life experience". If you've just left a rally where really rich food was a nice feature, and 100 miles down the road it all hits your lower digestive tract. You'll either be panicing and praying for a disgustingly dirty gas station bathroom, or you pull off the road, and use the privacy of your own facilities, thus avoiding social disgrace, delayed arrival, and replacement of truck upholstery!

At this point you're in the "think" stage. Do a lot of it, and anything you're determined to pull out, well offer it to grateful members here, they'll snap it up.

I agree you've got a diamond in the not-too-rough!

Paula
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

deland , Florida
trust me im going to think about the bathroom. im not the type to just tear into something without thought. what we decided to do is fix up the frame floor and axles for now. we are going to do some camping in it the end of the year and see how it goes. if we decide to remove the bathroom we will at that point. as for value im not to concerned about it. we always wanted a airstream and its a keeper if you know what i mean. but EVERYONE you need to check back after saturday on this post. i will be posting some new pics of it and some from the trip back. i should get some good looks seeing im going to tow it with a 1970 chevy c-10 that has been restored to 98% orig.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Rethinking ripping out the bathroom

I am glad you are rethinking ripping out the bathroom.....that is one of the best parts of owning an Airstream.....otherwise, you will just have an aluminum tent....looks like a sweet stream to me, you are going to love her.....good luck, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I agree with Paula.Campground restroom 400 feet away,its rainin,its 2 am.believe me you will appreicate having a bathroom.TRUST ME.I know I my wife would not even go campin if she didnt have her own potty. ITs even been a GOD SENT when traveling.We pull off in a rest area or shopping center parking lot,she loves having her own bathroom.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I know I my wife would not even go campin if she didnt have her own potty. ITs even been a GOD SENT when traveling.We pull off in a rest area or shopping center parking lot,she loves having her own bathroom.
I agree with your wife 100%

Safe travels on your trip bringing it home, and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Great find

Man what a deal.

BTW, what is the item on the street side front next to the window?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Man what a deal.

BTW, what is the item on the street side front next to the window?

I think that is what Airstream TV antennas looked like in the olden days.
Am I right?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966 safari