RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
I am so glad to find this thread! I've been puzzling over how I would be able to affordably replace two missing compartment doors. I want to follow up on a couple of posts, and add my $.02 experience.

SilverHoot:
"Steve,

Here's a pic of one of my doors. Does this look like what you described?"

Steve:
"Hoot, that pic shows a classic 1966 to 1967 door. They are different in 1968.

The door you show from your 1967 does not have an extruded frame around it. So the weather seal for that can be any low profile quality rubber or foam that is glued on or has an adhesive backing. If using foam, we recommend EPDM because it holds up so well, but you could get by with other closed cell products.

I don't have a measurement of the min/max dimensions you could use so I can't recommend anything in particular, but the generic D seals we sell (for roof vents) might work fine. Try to determine how wide and how thick you can tolerate in that location and then go shopping."

Anne:
Actually, the compartment doors on my 1968 Trade Wind are like the one SilverHoot shows. I have an album on Picasa with pictures of the street-side compartment door for the hatch under the dinette gaucho on that side, the hatch opening frame, the refrigerator compartment missing its door, and the now-missing rear door.

I just tried to order the extrusions for the hingeless compartment door construction, but VTS is currently sold out.

I am trying to find used compartment doors from 66, 67, 68 Airstreams being parted out. If I can't find them, and/or afford them, I will try to build replacements. The VTS extrusions are crucial to this option.

Click here to see my album of compartment door photos.
Annie.

1965, 1966 and 1968 doors are the same.

The doors for 1967 are of a different constuction and sizes, especially the rear door.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #22
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Ok thanks, Andy. I know you have the doors, I'm just struggling with my economy in this economy (-:
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Andy, did you see my pics? I think my doors are like SilverHoot's. Is there something I missed?
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote