Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
So what's it worth?

I have a chance at getting a 1966 22' Safari in as found condition from the same guy I got our 1959 Pacer. It has a pretty good exterior with all original windows. The owner just paid $4500 for it and hauled it back to ND. He now needs to fix his home and is looking to sell.

I took a quick look at it a few weeks back and the entire interior is shot. There is no refrigerator and the hole in the roof for the vent is wide open which has not helped the interior at all. It looks like all of the interior is there except the fridge and the mice have been having a field day in there based on the mess.

It would be a complete overhaul on the interior and it was hard to tell if the frame was good or not. I know he is in a tough situation and I am not looking to try to take advantage of him nor do I want to be taken for a ride either.

Any ideas on what is a fair price? Thanks for any and all help.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Does not sound like it is worth very much to me. The interiior is shot, no refrig ($1100 minimum), roof vent open and missing maybe, mice and so on. How about the floor condition, and it most likely needs axels and tires and brakes. I sure would not pay more than $1000 for it from your description.

But then value to you, vs. to me, vs. to the owner is all relative. Sounds like he paid way too much for it, and may think someone else is willing to eat his errors. The only price that matters is what a willing seller and a willing buyer come to in common.

You can easily put 4 to 6 thousand into repairs on a project like that, and the trailer is not all that rare or exclusive.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Any price paid above a competitive sale price is opportunity cost. So, if it's a $2,500 trailer, it's only costing $2,000 opportunity cost. Typically, if it can be sold for the $2,500, your hard cost is $2,000. Is there $2,000 worth of fun in owning this? If the answer is yes, then it's a done deal.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I'd say a fair price would be $2,500-$2,750. You are basically just buying the shell and the potential value when restored.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Denied....

The current owner of this Safari called me again yesterday to see if I wanted it. I did want it but told him we would not pay what he was asking knowing all of the work it would take to restore. I know he paid $4500 for it and in my opinion was taken to the cleaners on that deal.

I did visit with my dearest and he said "*^&*%$#)@!!" which in Norwegian means "Are you out of your mind?" Only not quite that nicely. So I had to call the guy back and tell him we would not be buying it and that if he got the chance to sell it to his neighbors or whoever, please don't let us hold you back. He sounded disappointed.

Kinda sad I couldn't rescue this one but we are not going to have the funds to buy at that price and then spend so much on restoration. I am hoping something else will come up that will work at a price we can afford and in the condition we would prefer.
Sandy
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Sandy-

You're wise to pass. That one sounds like a full frame-off restoration. If he comes back to you, I wouldn't go over 2K.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
No buyer's remorse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Sandy-

You're wise to pass. That one sounds like a full frame-off restoration. If he comes back to you, I wouldn't go over 2K.

John
I am kind of curious myself if he will sell it at the price he is currently asking. If he comes back later and is willing to come down significantly on his asking price, I might be more tempted. Right now I just couldn't justify that amount on the raw beginnings of an AS knowing what would likely have to be done on it. I am hoping I don't regret it but time will tell. I have a feeling I would be upset with myself had I taken his offer.
Sandy
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
And the beat goes on...

This story keeps getting stranger and stranger and I swear, I am not making this up. The PO of the Pacer and also the current owner of the Safari called me tonight with this offer: He'd take the Pacer back, we'd give him cash, and he'd sell us the Safari. Hmm....

Okay, when I was given a chance to decide between the two trailers, I decided I could afford the Pacer and would have to leave the Safari. He wants too much for the Safari and I am sorry he overpaid by a lot when he got it but to quote my daughter "Not my problem".

I love my little Pacer and have no intention of selling it back to him. I am not sure what his next move with be, but stay tuned. The beat goes on....
Sandy
Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I bought a used Kenmore washer and dryer off somone who was merging households. They kept the prettier W/D set and I got the harvest gold set for cheap. About a week later, they called and asked if I'd be willing to sell the set back. Seems the pretty set broke down on them. Pity. The harvest gold set lasted me for years.

Not only did your Pacer's PO pay too much for the Safari, but they haven't done anything to prevent deterioration and degradation. Now they want the functional one back. I can't say I blame them. But a wise philosopher once said...

"You can't always get what you want..."
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Ain't it the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
I bought a used Kenmore washer and dryer off somone who was merging households. They kept the prettier W/D set and I got the harvest gold set for cheap. About a week later, they called and asked if I'd be willing to sell the set back. Seems the pretty set broke down on them. Pity. The harvest gold set lasted me for years.

Not only did your Pacer's PO pay too much for the Safari, but they haven't done anything to prevent deterioration and degradation. Now they want the functional one back. I can't say I blame them. But a wise philosopher once said...

"You can't always get what you want..."

I have to totally agree with you. I am just not sure exactly what is going on because he seems to want to sell me the other one so badly but I keep going back to the fact that it is in poor condition on the inside and needs tons of work. And there is no way I am giving up the Pacer.

Sandy