Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Refrigerator Access Door

Went on trip to Snake River Canyon, came home without the Refrigerator Outside Access Cover, apparently not locked correctly? Safari 1966 20 ft.
Cover approx 8 5/8 by 12 inches with lock on bottom.
Looking for one.

Thanks Stan
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Stan,
That seems to happen a bunch. When we rehabilitated our 1967 Safari the 3 access doors had been replaced with make do patches. Our best replacements were made from parts from Vintage Trailer Supply including All Clad aluminum sheet. It's possible, but not likely, to find already made access doors that fit your trailer because dimensions vary. You will need pe opening dimensions so replacement fits tightly inside. For the rear panel I ordered one to be made and they still sent the wrong size using aluminum other than All Clad.
On each door I have attached a little chain just long enough to reach with a clip to remove it. Make the chain or cable short enough so that if the panel falls off it won't drag on the ground. Of course one must also carefully lock each door.
Jim
Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Thanks for the reply, I was just thinking I should attach some kind of cable to the doors, guess great minds think alike, ha. Sadly, I believe I am guilty of not locking it properly.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburg58 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was just thinking I should attach some kind of cable to the doors, guess great minds think alike, ha. Sadly, I believe I am guilty of not locking it properly.
A friend of ours lost the very same one awhile back. They are not difficult to make. Give it a try. Also, the one I made for him has an inside connector with a small chain attached to the floor in the event it came off you wouldn’t lose it. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
I talked with the local dealer, he will make one for $125 to $150. I contacted Vintage Trailer about parts, they have an extrusion I can cut to size then attach the aluminum, I ordered it. I have some .032 alclad lying around from an aircraft project so should be able to make one. I will attach something to all access panels so as not to lose any again. Thanks for all the prompt replies, very nice site/people to obtain info from!
Stan