RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Thanks for taking the time to post photos!
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Your work is an inspiration!! I had a 1966 Safari and absolutely loved it during the 10 years I "fiddled" around on various projects with it.

You will have a beautiful new Airstream when you are all done!

Congratulations
Old 04-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
One month to Alumapalooza

The paint is on, The walls are in. The floor is in! Plumbing lines are in. The kitchen design is finalizing.
It's getting real.
We're going to tag team for Alumapalooza. Dave's going during the week and I'm going for the weekend. Which means a deadline. But that's when his business starts 24/7 anyway and the Airstream has to be out of the garage.
There are what seems like a million little things left to do. Just trying to check them off one by one.
At least it will be campable this summer. Even though I can't go til winter, ha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	261334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	261335  

Name:	IMG_0549 (1).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	261336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	261337  

Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Nice work!!

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Alumapalooza here we come

Well...we had a deadline of June 1 for a couple of reasons. Alumapalooza being one of them.
And Dave has kicked butt.
Plumbing is done,
electric is 90% complete with a little help from my husband,
access doors are back on and have new gaskets,
new vents are installed, old holes are patched,
awning holes covered until the new awning can be sown,
Kitchen cabinets are laminated,
Sliding bath door is refabricated,
Water heater and furnace are in.
New axle and brakes are being installed today by a company next to my shop.
Towed perfectly on the way down, too. We were a little worried as this was the first road trip after fixing the frame and torquing the inner skins back in.

Lots still to do. But, it's going to be in JC next week with Dave.
Beds aren't in, needs temporary curtains, and no batteries yet. But workarounds for each of these. Taking one little bite of the elephant at a time as Dave says.

Here's a few sideways photos for your viewing pleasure...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	263272  
Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Photos

Very frustrating to be able to rebuild the AS but can't figure out this forum
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	263274  
Old 11-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Need help with door please.

We (Dave) got far enough along that I was able to stay overnight in the Time Machine. Which really helps finalize the placement of the last few storage/sleeping/table arrangements since I've never done this before.

It was a beautiful fall here and this will sound dumb, but, since it was warm and we were with friends I never had to close the door when inside.
Now that it's cold I went out to "sleep under the stars" and could NOT close the door from the inside. No way, no how.

It closes and latches fine from the outside. But, I'm closing it not using the knob, but pushing the door itself just inside the knob.

The knob catches pretty easily. The deadbolt works fine from the outside. If you push on the door while closing it.

There was a clasp on the outside when I got it which we removed.

Any ideas? Anybody run into this before?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Woo Hoo

In other news...

The water heater and heater are hooked to propane and they work! Woo Hoo!
The bathroom sink and cabinet are in, plumbed, and they work! Another Woo Hoo!

I traded some stone for a solar panel, too. Thinking it'ill stay in the truck bed and I'll hook it up as weather and sites allow.

My husband did get me the Honda 2,000 generator. Another Woo Hoo.
But my shoulder is old, so I'm not sure I can start it. Which is why I wanted the solar panel. Woo Hoo to have both.

Hoping to leave for Florida sometime in the second half of January. Have an old friend in the Keys who has room for me to park in her side yard. Yet another Woo Hoo!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #49
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Tankless Water Heater - unsolicited advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmanor View Post
... I'm going with the on-demand water heater, and Dave is going along very reluctantly. He hasn't read a lot of positives about them ...
I'd like to offer a suggestion about on-demand water heaters. We have a whole house system in our home (not our trailer) ... same concept ... but lots of folks complain about on-demand water heaters. Two major considerations, in my humble opinion.

First is flow ... the amount of hot water that the unit can produce, usually measured in gallons per minute. It's important to get a unit that can deliver enough hot water (to all the taps which consume the hot water, at the given water pressure and temperature setting ... for a home, big is better for a family).

Second, the temperature setting. This is critical and usually why most people complain about the performance of tankless water heaters. Set the hot water to a couple of degrees hotter than you shower at ... we keep ours set to 125F. Then, we shower at nearly "full-hot" water. The problem people experience is because they set the temp to be too hot ... then, the system needs to mix too much cold water and the system cycles on and off so they get these cold-water sandwiches. Set it to 120 or 125 and you'll never have a problem. Need really hot water? Then temporarily set it to 135-145 and have nearly scalding water ... just be sure to dial it back down to 120-125 when finished.

Finally, be sure to (every 6 months) flush the system with vinegar - plain white vinegar - this will decalcify the system. I use a 5 gal bucket, isolate the heater from the water system and open the bypass valves and use a pump to pump 4 gals of vinegar through the system for an hour ... important to do this with the unit not producing heat ... though, I allow the unit to fire for 20 seconds to get the vinegar up to about 100F ... then unplug so it's not heating anymore. The hot vinegar decalcifies so much better.

When finished, use the vinegar for other decalcification tasks around the house/trailer, such as faucets, shower heads, coffee pots, etc..

We love our tankless water heater and have no problems with it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Rich and Kat
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Great advice. We did that with the temp control and it worked great for the shower. And the bathroom sink. But, because the kitchen sink is furthest from the system it does take a little longer for the water to get hot there. I just keep a pot there to catch the cold water and use it for rinsing or dog water.
I will take your advice about the vinegar. We only used the system 3 times before winterizing so I'll put it on my calendar for next September.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Oh, and Thank You!
Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #52
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmanor View Post
Oh, and Thank You!
Forget September ... do it in the spring ... and then again at the end of the season and every season thereafter. :-) Happy Thanksgiving ...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Photos.

Photos of progress, sideways again. I'm sorry, but that's how I hold my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3819.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	276164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3882.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	276165  

Name:	IMG_3879.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	276166  
Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Road trip

It's official.

I'm picking up a friend at the Ft Lauderdale airport at the end of January.
We (me, my dog, her, and The Time Machine) then head down to the lower keys to visit another friend.

Dave is installing the solar controller now with a cord to run out to my truck bed where I'll keep the panel for now.

I've added a couple of washers to the door to help it close easier. Hoping that keeps working, but considering a trip to JC to see if they approve.

Other than that, and planning the itinerary, the Time Machine seems ready to go.

The truck was another story. Got new Michelin tires for the rear, the front end alignment turned into a new front end, needed new brake lines in the back, fixed the drive train, and a new u-joint in the rear. Geesh, I hope it's ready now, too.

Then Luckily, really luckily, the spare tire fell off just as I was pulling into my shop. Landed flat on the ground, went between the trailer tires, as I was going 5mph. Just after I had driven 70 miles pulling a 10,000lb skidsteer. That could have been really ugly.

So now I'm a little nervous about what will happen next. Have Marathons on the trailer and am thinking hard about replacing them before I leave.

Any other suggestions? It's 2,400 miles in two weeks. With my dog and a new aaa membership my hubby got for me for Christmas.