Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
Newbie, '68 Safari - Windows

Greeting, I just bought a 68 Safari last night from a friend, it's been sitting for over twenty years, it has several issues but the most pressing for me now is it has 2 broken windows with plastic and duct tape over them, I want to replace them ASAP, anybody have advice on best window source?. Also.wondering since they are acrylic can I replace them from a stock sheet of 1/8"
or 3/16" thick Lexan? I have some available if I need it.
Macdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
68 Windows are available.

The curved windows are available. The metal trim is available from Vintage Trailer Supply....not sure where Uwe got the 68 replacement window for us but if you want a real glass window, shoot me an email and I will find out his source. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
There is one on the Classifieds right now
Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
I was under the impression they were not glass, that being said I think the Lexan would be a great temporary fix and give me time to shop for the real deal. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdady View Post
I was under the impression they were not glass, that being said I think the Lexan would be a great temporary fix and give me time to shop for the real deal. Thanks!
I have gone that route, not many "real" deals out there since there is only one source.

Unless you find it used like the $100 one on the classifieds right now
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi,
I was in your same situation, and the previous owner had used Lexan on a . The inherent problem is the curve or lack of. Lexan doesn't bend correctly to the curve of the trailer. It gaps on the bottom, rain gets in, and the floor rots. I highly recommend going to Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers! and ordering them. Vintage Trailer Supply is the best source, they just started making them again. They are glass, called Corning.

You can try another type of glass if the window frame is flat, but for the curved, do the VTS for sure.

If you do go for curved, let me know and I can dig up some installation info for you. I went through so many mistakes putting them in! But they are in, and don't leak.

Yeah on the trailer! Pictures!

My expert advice

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
Pink, I'm going to take your advice!.. I will look you up for those instructions when I get them...
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The trick to lexan or plexi is that the windows are curved, so unless you can get the material to match that slight curve, you may have to have someone outside help you latch it by pushing the bottom in. I have a plexi window on mine, and it matches the curve pretty good. Don't know if the PO bent it somehow when he installed it, or if that's just the result of years of being fastened closed in that position, but it works pretty good. I'm in no hurry to make the investment to replace it. A few years ago I broke my kitchen window and replaced it with a new glass one from VTS.

But for a temporary fix that will hold you over until later in the project when you want the expensive windows, I don't see any reason not to. you'll need the double sided window installation tape to fasten the plexi to the existing window frame where the glass would have been mounted. I got mine from my local glass shop.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Stefroberts has a point. If you are not going to use it right away and have biggish projects to finish on it, you could wait and use Lexan for now. You could break the curved window and have to buy another one. My experience with Lexan was NOT GOOD but I needed to stop leaks right quick so I broke down and got the curved.

The curved were really expensive back then, VTS stopped making them for a while, and now are making them again. Mine were more than they sell them for now. Prices start at $99 and go up.

I think I have a thread on my window installation. You might NOT want to read it. There is this funky crazy maddening gasket especially to install these curved ones, I almost lost my mind and glued my eyelids shut using it. Now there's a simple version of a gasket that works.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
Stef, I may try the Lexan this weekend, its free so wont cost me anything, plus it will give me practice installing for the real thing!...Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Greeting, I just bought a 68 Safari last night from a friend, it's been sitting for over twenty years, it has several issues but the most pressing for me now is it has 2 broken windows with plastic and duct tape over them, I want to replace them ASAP, anybody have advice on best window source?. Also.wondering since they are acrylic can I replace them from a stock sheet of 1/8"
or 3/16" thick Lexan? I have some available if I need it.
Airstream has those replacment windows specially made for us, so that the curvature is exactly correct.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
A couple of tips on 68 windows: There is a small flat "stop" (a little L shaped piece of aluminum at the top of the window on each side of the frame) that prevents the window glass bar from sliding out of the frame. It is stuck to the frame under the gasket at the top and can be remove with a putty knife. I replaced all the windows in my 68 and one 3 times (long story) so I have had plenty of practice on 68 windows.
Be very careful with the glass bar. After you remove the screws that hold the two pieces together be very careful in separating the two parts. DO NOT insert a screwdriver into the ends and pry on them as you will bend the ends. A heat gun is very helpful in getting the old adhesive to release so you can gently separate the parts. A Dremel tool with a scotchbrite bob works great to clean off the old goo on the glass bar parts. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM. I've talked several folks thru the procedure so if you run into a problem I"ll be glad to help. Don't force anything and take your time. Finally, on using lexan for a temp window, I would not do it because it is a pain to replace the window and I would only want to do it once. The lexan may work OK on the flat front and rear windows but you really need glass on the curved sides.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I may have 1 or 2 in the size you need with the frame, which saves a lot of work on the install. If you are interested send me a pm.

I will not ship but you are not too far away.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #14

1966 22' Safari
South Casco , Maine
Www.airstreamsupply.com has very good prices on windows.
Ludy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
Lexan replacement window - Temp.

I installed two Lexan windows this weekend for a temporary fix until I get the real glass windows, it looks better then nothing!...I realized I dont have the original frames for the new glass windows with the latch/hook on the bottom, do the new replacement windows come with a new frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	640.4 KB
ID:	194196  
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I installed two Lexan windows this weekend for a temporary fix until I get the real glass windows, it looks better then nothing!...I realized I dont have the original frames for the new glass windows with the latch/hook on the bottom, do the new replacement windows come with a new frame?
Replacement glass for the 66, 67 and 68 trailers, are just that.

The metal framing and clips at the bottom are separate.

There are 2 sources for the glass.

One source has the exact replacement and the other has one that almost matches the curvature of the shell.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Replacement glass for the 66, 67 and 68 trailers, are just that.

The metal framing and clips at the bottom are separate.

There are 2 sources for the glass.

One source has the exact replacement and the other has one that almost matches the curvature of the shell.

Andy
I was afraid of that, I found two side trim pieces in the trailer but no bottom piece, and I need two of them!.... Plan B, make my own!.... Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You can also go frameless if you want. The frames are not structural. My old frames did not fit my new window glass, so I left my kitchen window frameless.

One tip, If you are out camping and have your windows open, even if they have that slight frame, people will not see them and walk right into them! Had it happen. I have some little window awnings I stitched up that slide on the windows when they are open and have a little fringe that hangs down so people cannot miss it (or at least can't complain if they are still clumsy enough to run into them).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
Stephanie, good point they are just about at eye level when opened partially, someone could get hurt for sure, I will intall the new windows with out a frame as well. Thanks