Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #1

Commerce , Georgia
Need advice on possible '68 Safari purchase

Hello everyone!
I am a new member and would like to thank everyone for all the great information on this site. I am also new to Airstream so I have much to learn. I wanted to start off by asking a question about a recent find. I have come across a 1968 Airstream 22' Safari that I am thinking of purchasing and need some advice. The camper seems to be in great shape on the outside but is in the midst of a remodel on the inside. The current owners are moving and want to sell it. They have all the appliances and cabinets that have been removed, the sub-flooring has been partially replaced, the tires have been replaced, the roof-top AC is not working, the water heater has been replaced, and a couple of the windows have been replaced. The owner is asking $1200 negotiable. I really don't have any experience with Airstream so I'm not sure if this camper is worth that or not when I can spend about $2500 and get a ready to go pop-up or self-contained. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

RT
rodneyt28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
First off...Welcome to the forums
I have a 1968 Safari...you can view it at my blog ssairstream.blogspot.com I purchased it for $5,000 and it is in very good and original condition (except the newer air conditioner). With the exception of the minor mouse issue, I am very happy. It has been stored for the past 16 years in a very nice pole barn with very little floor rot...don't fool yourself...they all have floor rot. I plan on watching my floor and will probably replace it either next summer or the one after that.
Some things to keep in mind...
What are you planning to do, restore or renovate?
If you have all the original cabinetry, this can save you a ton of money...if not, plan on spending a ton of money...this is what I liked about my trailer...all the cabinetry was intact and in very nice condition.
How are the axles...they are probably bad...they all are...they will cost about $1,000 to replace (if you do it yourself). Mine will be replaced next Spring.
How are the cushions? These are very expensive to replace...I just ordered some, with upholstery, for about $1,000.
I don't mean to discourage you, rather it is the exact opposite...I want you to buy it...once you own an Airstream, you belong to the Cult...
I just want you to be aware of some issues I have faced since I purchased mine about one month ago...I have looked at a LOT of used trailers before I purchased mine and I thought I got a very good deal since the interior was intact and the shell is in great condition.
At $1,200 you leave yourself some "upgrade" room depending on how much you have in the bank...
Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good words from Uberphotos... From my perspective, it all really depends on how committed you are to having an Airstream and what your vision of camping is... While you may be able to get a "ready to roll" pop-up for less than it might ultimately cost you to get an older AS ...once you have the Airstream fixed up you'll have a unit that will outlast any pop-up, and will be worth more, too.

On the other hand, if you really want to have an Airstream but don't want to sink the money and time into the one you're looking at now, perhaps this one isn't the right one for you...you can find an Airstream that is basically road-ready or close to it if part of your goal is getting it on the road sooner rather than later to enjoy...

Whatever you decide, keep us posted and we hope to see you on the road soon with your silver shiny trailer!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Pay it now or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyt28 View Post
The owner is asking $1200 negotiable. I really don't have any experience with Airstream so I'm not sure if this camper is worth that or not when I can spend about $2500 and get a ready to go pop-up or self-contained.
The price sounds good. You are probably going to end up spending a whole lot of time and at least several times the $2500 in getting it to good usable shape.
If you will enjoy the satisfaction of resurrecting a classic and have the time and money go for it. Otherwise, you could spend the money and get a vintage someone else has already fixed up. The cost will probably be about the same and maybe better. You shouldn't loose money on this deal but I wouldn't count on making a lot of money with what you will probably put into it. My stomach is getting queazy thinking about recommending a pop up. But if you don't look at this AS as a labor or love you may be frustrated in the long run. The smaller 60s models are generally more valuable than 70s but harder to find parts for. Also 1968 marks the end of a style. Starting in 69 AS went to composite laminate interiors instead of plywood and windows with rounded corners.