RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Kitchen Sink Covers?

Anyone know where to find these for a 68' Safari?
gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have extras. What color. Mine are greenish for double sink.

They seem easy enought to make. Glue a peice of formica to wood.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I think I would make them. In fact, I am thinking about replacing mine cut out of wood cutting boards. It would be really nice to have cutting boards in my kitchen.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Thanks Mustang. If you are willing to send them along, I would appreciate it. Green is fine
gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New Ones

New ones are made out of high impact plastic. Ideal for cutting boards. I flip mino over and use the bottom side just so the top won't get scratched.

BTW. Who really uses them? I wanted a stove cover - now I barely remember to use it. Most of the time my sink covers are tucked in the cabinet. Only come out when company is coming.

Paula
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I took the butcherblock top off of an old KitchenAid dish washer. I cut it in half, planed it down to clean surfaces top and bottom, and routered the bottom to fit the double sink bowls on each half. When sanded and oiled it completely covers the sink area from raised edges all around except where it was cut out for the faucet set. It lines up in the center to form one complete cutting board cover and looks/works great. hope this helps... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
If you plan to make them make from wood be sure you put laminate on both sides otherwise you will end up with a serving bowl. Don't ask how I know

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
No, we're not there yet!

1966 22' Safari
Acworth , Georgia
Mine were missing also but I found some bamboo cutting boards at Lowes and cut them to fit. They really look great.
Maddoxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I wish the sink covers/cutting board that came with the unit matched the countertops. We have midnight sun interior, but the sink covers are a stark white.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Funny this topic should come up. I made a cover for the one sink out of some exotic bird's eye maple and was getting ready to make the second one when I found the wife had decided to wash the first one in the dishwasher. Not a good idea. Back to square one.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
I wish the sink covers/cutting board that came with the unit matched the countertops. We have midnight sun interior, but the sink covers are a stark white.
Got the same thing. The plastic is food grade cutting board material. I think it might only come in white. They do eliminate the need to carry extra cutting boards, however they are NOT designed to withstand really hot objects like pots or pans. I found out the hard way, but fortunately it happened with a cheap Wal-mart board, not the actual sink cover.

Paula
Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
What holds those babies down while in transit?
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Hold downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
What holds those babies down while in transit?
New axles.....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up Corian sink covers cheap

Go to a company that installs Corian counter tops. They will have some of the cut outs from installing sinks in houses. You can use a carbide tipped blade and cut to any size you want. A router with good bits will trim to the EXACT size and smooth the edges.. Drill a "finger lift hole" in one corner and finnish it with the router.
If your sink is "TOP" mounted on the counter, then there is a glue ( available at the same dealer) for gluing TWO pieces together. Cut one that fits inside you sink and the top piece to the size you want. Finnish with the same process as above.
They will stay in place in transit because of the weight. Any way they do in my 34' Limited.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sink covers.

Hi, I think the sink covers just make the kitchen area look cleaner or less cluttered. We usually only had the sink covers on while in storage and put them away when camping. On our last trip, basically boon docking, I bought two white plastic tubs that almost fit inside of the sinks perfectly. The idea behind useing the plastic tubs was to dump the dish water down the toilet, thus saveing space in the grey tank. They also protect the stainless steel sinks from getting all marked up.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4 View Post
........If your sink is "TOP" mounted on the counter,.....
I thought they all were TOP mounted....
When did that stop?

I know.... if it ain't Vintage I haven't paid much attention.
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Dumping dish water down the black tank....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think the sink covers just make the kitchen area look cleaner or less cluttered. We usually only had the sink covers on while in storage and put them away when camping. On our last trip, basically boon docking, I bought two white plastic tubs that almost fit inside of the sinks perfectly. The idea behind useing the plastic tubs was to dump the dish water down the toilet, thus saveing space in the grey tank. They also protect the stainless steel sinks from getting all marked up.
Hi Robert, I am no expert but the owners manual of our 69 Overlander cautioned not to put dishwater or washwater down the black tank.....I quote, "Nearly all kitchens and laundry soaps contain detergents which attack the lubricants, and should not be dumped into the tank." This was on the page under the heading of THINGS NOT TO PUT INTO THE TOILET AND TANK.......other things listed include Facial tisues, Detergents and bleaches, antifreeze, ammonias, alcohols and acetones.....saying the chemicals may cause damage to your tank, valve parts, tank fittings, or drain hose....it went on to say, "Athough we do not recommend the following practice for reasons stated above, in an emergency, you may empty waste water from the sink and lavatory in your waste holding tank instead of allowing it to drain onto the ground." Remember this was in 1969 before they had gray tanks.....

Perhaps black tanks are made of some different material that renders these instructions out dated on newer trailers.....I don't know about that. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Paula. 1969 was along time ago, but some things never change. On the other hand, what would they do in some of the newer trailers that have a combination black/gray tank? In this case they would get everything, I get, doing what I do. [kitchen and bath chemicals in the same tank] Also, I don't think there is any difference in my black or gray tanks except what is plumbed to drain into them.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
We need the sink cover for counter space. One of the sink bowls never gets uncovered. I almost wish it was a single sink. We also flush the toilet with soapy water from the sink, and have never had a problem. I think the valtera slide dump valve has some sort of grease on the seal, so I can imagine that the soap could dry this out after some time.
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up Top mounted sinks ?

My AS has the original Corian counter tops and the stainless steel sink is mounted from underneath to the bottom of the counter top.
My unit came with one sink cover and I was able to find another piece of Corian that matches and built one as I described in previous post.

My old Winny M H has an "under the top" mounted sink and after looking at it, it would not be that hard to make sink covers for it, if I did not already have the ones that came with it.

A RV salvage yard near here says there are aluminum extrusions that will fit most sink sizes used in RV's, or that can be made to fit a give sink. By using an aluminum extrusion for an edge, the sink cover would not stick up above the sink level as much. Then you can use any material you want for the cover.

DISTANTDRUMMER' == Sorry, my AS's only 17 years old and not of "Vintage" age. But it is #8 of the only 60 built in 1991 to Honor the 60th Anniversary.

But again, JMHO.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote